Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I now have 2000 miles (almost) on my 2022 KLR (adventure model). I've been practicing maintenance on it before getting on some BDRs. So.. bought Eagle Mike's trail stand, and worked great to change the back tire, but on this KLR there is no where I can put it to raise the front tire, so I think I may need to rethink if I need to do some maintenance on the trail on the front tire. When I bought it, I figured .. no problem.

So here's my thoughts. Remove the cheapo plastic skid plate. (But was leaving it on, until I really needed to. Go ahead and buy a real skid plate, now so that I can use the stand on the trail.. LOL

anyone try using a cane stand or an eagle mike's stand on the new KLRs? Any trick I am missing?

First time poster, btw.

·
Registered
2022 ABS Traveler- Orange
166 Posts
I carry a 1 1/2" ratchet strap. I can lift the front or back with an overhanging branch or something. It's also handy as a come along to pull the bike out of whatever I can get it into when a friend with a winch isn't handy
Very smart.
As someone who goes on backpacking trips I enjoy this type of solution: use the environment around you

Reactions: ZZnoTop

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well. An entertaining bunch, at least. No solution for my stand I bought, but entertaining nonetheless. I ordered the ricochet skid plate, since I needed to replace the pebble collector anyway and this was as good excuse to do so. So we,ll see if I’ll be able to use my stand to lift the front of the bike with that. I’ve already had one bad flat tire and if I use the strap method it, next one will happen no where near a tree or with the stand on sand somewhere, so probably need both.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I use a trail stand on the front tire when I do changes, but I've got a SW Motech skidplate - it doesn't have any fitments for my trail jack (recycled crutch), but I can usually angle the trail jack under it pretty securely once the front wheel is off the ground (and the rear tire is chocked). If I'm at home I usually prefer to put the bike on the milk crate, as it's more secure than the trail jack, but sometimes you just don't have that luxury...

All kidding aside, it sounds like you've got a good plan and there's really no special trick to it - lift with your legs, get the front wheel off of the ground, and jam that jack under the skid plate in a way that it won't slip or fall.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,119 Posts
Not to put water on the fire of Eagle Mike and his stand but over on advrider there is a group buy for the rolling mavericks ultralight trail jack. They're made by a member in the EU iirc and is plenty capable of holding a klr650 up. Packs ultralight and small. With the group buy, it'll come in under 50 bucks. I planned to make one from an old discarded kids scooter handle but I haven't found one in the trash yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased a pair of crutches (Medical walking type) disassembled and used the expandable portion of the crutch with rubber foot. Trimmed it to the general length I wanted and put another rubber foot on that end. It is plenty strong, stores easily, is expandable in length and I have less than 5 dollars invested. Works well to keep rear tire in raised position if jack is under swingarm or under engine guard / bash plate for front tire. Short piece of cordage tied around front brake level helps keep bike stationary. This is not my original idea. Similar photo found on trail jack posting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just throw the bike on top of a riding buddy's aluminum pannier case. That is what I did on the NEBDR with my T7. Or find a log, large rock, milk crate, or similar. Worst case, just lay the bike on its side on a gently sloped bank (left side so you can pull the front axle out to the right side). Not ideal, but works in a pinch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts