Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my KLR last month and need a doohicky installed, plus would like to meet/ride with others. I can offer my home in Bountiful as a meeting site, and Skyline drive starts about a mile away (25 miles up to Bountiful peak and down Farmington Canyon. The best view of Great Salt Lake available!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just a suggestion, but look into attending the Canyonlands Motor Classic in Moab at the end of May. Lots of KLRs will be there, and we'll almost certainly be doing some tech stuff.

Check out Arrowhead's site, click on the CMC banner in the middle of the page.

Arrowheadmotorsports.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since buying my bike in '05, I've eagerly scanned the forums for a nearby tech day. I've seen a number of KLRs since moving to Salt Lake and would hope that a little passion and effort could lead to a successful gathering. Of course, a little expertise wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tech Day in August or Sept

Since last year I have met a couple other KLR'sters and a tech day looks more real this year. I replaced my doohickey yesterday so I have the tools (and an extra woodruff key!) Good days for me are:23 AUG, 20 SEP, 27 SEP, 2008.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could it happen?

Since last year I have met a couple other KLR'sters and a tech day looks more real this year. I replaced my doohickey yesterday so I have the tools (and an extra woodruff key!) Good days for me are:23 AUG, 20 SEP, 27 SEP, 2008.
I continue to see a number of us on the road (unfortunately) and just yesterday was thinking about some minor tinkering I need/want to do. Doing the doo' alone would be a great result to a gathering. The August date would be poor for me (until late afternoon), but the two September dates look good.

What can I do to help Utah's Tech Day see more than 2 bikes in attendance?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Craig,

With a firm date/time and a set location, we can distribute flyers to local motorcycle shops. I have visited Performance in Draper a few times and at least one of the employees has a KLR and should be amenable to spreading the word.

Your house could be ideal, as a group ride(s) would be so convenient. I don't know if having some lifts on hand would be ideal; I could deliver mine prior to the date so that I could drive the bike. What mods, if any, are you personally wanting to accomplish? How's the valves?

Marvin
801-832-2861

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bought a new Go/no-go feeler gauge to do the valves. I also have a MC Jack.

I would think valves and doohickey adjustments/installations. When I did the around the lake ride with two others the most beneficial was talking to the others about what they have done and their KLR experiences. I imagine a tech day is largely a little wrench turning and a lot of "bench racing", which is certainly appropriate.
The Bountiful B to Farmington Canyon (skyline drive) road is about 3 miles from my house and certainly do able with a KLR, and a couple of side trails are available that are more challenging. Minimum 25 miles, max ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, valves and doohickies are the big ticket items. I'd be happy to accomplish either...both would have me buying beverages of choice for anyone lending a hand and/or expertise. I've already made a few posts on the General Forum on threads started by Utah riders.

I got on what I assume is Skyline sometime last year. The main road was plenty fun, but I also found myself on some side trails that were both too technical and seemingly just right. I just ran out of time that day and the upper road to Farmington was not open.

Date?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tech Day

Count me in from Sandy UT. End of September seems like a long way away but I'll roll with it. I bought a 06 about a month ago and have been commuting from Sandy to SLC daily. I don't know that I can add much technical advice yet but I can stand around an point and the cool stuff on your bike. I'm gonna need a doo hicky so I wouldn't mind watching how it’s done.

Mark H

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do want it deleted. I edited the post, but tell me whether I could have actually deleted it. If so, I could not figure out how to do so.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WHO: You

WHAT: Tech day for Doohickey replacement or whatever.

WHERE: My House, 2068 S. 200 E., Bountiful, UT 84010

WHEN: 20 SEPT 2008, 0800 to ??

Possibility for a nice ride afterwards as I am a couple miles from the Bountiful Peak/ Farmington Canyon skyline road. The best view of the Great Salt in the area.

Let me know if you will attend!

Craig Young
801-824-1339

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
TECH DAY!

I have the big wrench and flywheel puller. Bring your own doohickey, gaskets, oil, etc.
I will also have a cooler full of sodas.

Craig Young
801-824-1339

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's time

Hey Craig,
I will bring chips and and some tools(I have everything but the flywheel puller) that way we can have extra just incase. Have you heard from Brandon? I will try to contact him and others. Let me know if there is something else I can bring. I know I am planning on doing the "Do" and putting on some heated grips along with a skid plate. And any other smaller mods if there is time. See you on Saturday. Thanks, Dave.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts