Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any events etc. This is my attempt at reaching out to localish riders wanting to talk/ride. Good thread but looks a little lonely in here. I'm from Christiansburg VA btw

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Looking for any events etc. This is my attempt at reaching out to localish riders wanting to talk/ride. Good thread but looks a little lonely in here. I'm from Christiansburg VA btw
We were going to go to Virginia on a trip but your state decided not to recognize our Tennessee carry permits anymore so we canceled our plans.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
Well . . . last weekend in April/first weekend in May . . . Horizons Unlimited Travelers' Meeting, Appomattox, VA; Stolen Pig Rally, Matewan, WV; Romney Cycles Camp & Ride, Romney, WV.

Other gatherings exist, including notorious drunk-fests.

Check here:

sticky for gatherings? | Adventure Rider

Better, yet, visit, "Go Racing," and you'll be a stranger no more to
Christiansburg riding opportunities:

540-392-0696

Address

1990 Palmer St

Christiansburg, VA 24073-1116

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
We were going to go to Virginia on a trip but your state decided not to recognize our Tennessee carry permits anymore so we canceled our plans.
Fear not, Toney!

Our enlightened Virginia state legislature has passed legislation restoring reciprocal concealed-carry consideration to other states!

And . . . the governor SIGNED the enabling legislation! (True, to the best of my knowledge and belief.)

So, behave, and observe the pre-existing restrictions (e.g., school zones, etc.), and . . . you're still legal in Virginia!

==================

BTW; the previous cancellation of reciprocity was a unilateral act of the sitting Virginia attorney general, NOT by the citizenry in any way. The governor apparently saw the handwriting on the wall, an aroused pro-gun rights electorate would deal his administration and party big-time grief if he let the attorney general's arbitrary executive order stand.

Thus, the governor signed the legislation restoring reciprocity. A couple of domestic-violence restrictions were included to make the medicine go down his liberal left-leaning throat, but . . . he took the medicine!

Here's one of many hits addressing the subject on the 'Net: http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...loombergs-antigun-groups-in-virginia-n2128155

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone :) I will look into it. Hope everyone is cool with me being a female rider lol not a guy. yeah... I panicked I when first heard about the reciprocities being changed. Once bills get passed its like getting a foot in the door and before you know it your rights will be gone. Btw good job on trying to keep up on the legal. It's sad to hear of good ppl getting in trouble for carrying because they didn't check laws first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha. Just looked up go racing, thought it sounded familiar. I've been to go race a couple times. At their old location an older guy (the owner?) kinda hippie looking was pretty rude. I went to the new location awhile back and a younger guy at the desk was pleasant.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Third consecutive post. Lame, right? Oh the get togethers sound like a blast!! Does anyone know how things are at the spring frolic in Laurel forks or the stolen pig rally? Both sound like a great place to be but I'll be on a big old KLR (1993 KLR650) and it doesn't off road the greatest. best bet is old forest service roads... Nothing super extreme but "off road" enough to still be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
This is the first, "Stolen Pig Rally," so I have no experience. I have met the sponsor, the "Real McCoy," and spoken with his wife on the phone; really nice people; I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their event to anyone. I'd think the KLR650 would be fully appropriate for the routes; public access roads and trails.

Laurel Fork . . . while I've never attended, comments suggest to me the event's closer to the, "drunk-fest" category mentioned earlier. Bunch of wild-and-wooly young gentlemen with shenanigans on their mind. The routes they choose might favor a more dirt-bikey ride than a KLR650. A rowdy bunch, and a raucous affair, in my estimation (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Romney Cycles Camp And Ride: Absolutely suitable for a KLR650. MANY diverse routes (and riders) to choose from; from all-pavement courses including Freeways to Nowhere, to gnarly single-track and water crossings . . . you get to choose the type of ride you want. Also, first-rate operation and management; and . . . FREE.

Horizons Unlimited Travelers Meeting: You might want to Google this one; excellent campsite (4-H Club Camp), presentations, training, ride-outs . . . all you always wanted to know, but were afraid to ask, about adventure riding. Costs some money; on-site meals good, but a little pricey in my estimation; long ride to alternative dining opportunities. Fully KLR650-friendly.

I've attended a Horizons Unlimited meeting and a couple of Romney Cycles Camp And Ride events. I'd recommend either to my sister (if I HAD a sister!). I think the Stolen Pig Rally would be civil, also. Laurel Fork? Noisy fun with the wild-and-crazy set, I'd expect.

As to Go Race: The current cast of characters there appear quite professional and civil, in my experience. I'd imagine they would share valid local riding information upon request.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, it all sounds so exciting! If I end up going to anything I'll be sure to let y'all know! The Laurel ride sounds like something I would pass on even tho I'm sure it's a lot of fun. I'm aiming for more family friendly stuff I can ease into or something that might be more forgiving to an inexperienced KLR girl. Some boys don't play nice especially if the girl has more... padding on their body lol. I hope I can get my bro to come ride at the events. Are KTMs welcomed?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Fear not, Toney!

Our enlightened Virginia state legislature has passed legislation restoring reciprocal concealed-carry consideration to other states!

And . . . the governor SIGNED the enabling legislation! (True, to the best of my knowledge and belief.)

So, behave, and observe the pre-existing restrictions (e.g., school zones, etc.), and . . . you're still legal in Virginia!

==================

BTW; the previous cancellation of reciprocity was a unilateral act of the sitting Virginia attorney general, NOT by the citizenry in any way. The governor apparently saw the handwriting on the wall, an aroused pro-gun rights electorate would deal his administration and party big-time grief if he let the attorney general's arbitrary executive order stand.

Thus, the governor signed the legislation restoring reciprocity. A couple of domestic-violence restrictions were included to make the medicine go down his liberal left-leaning throat, but . . . he took the medicine!

Here's one of many hits addressing the subject on the 'Net: Carry Reciprocity Restored: NRA Scores Huge Victory Against Bloomberg's Anti-Gun Zealots in Virginia - Katie Pavlich
That's good! I hate to ride off into the woods without the extra weight of a Springfield XD. Never know what kind of human you are going to run into. I had to display it once. Sure defused the situation quickly. The dude decided I was going to win and went on his way. :fighting0002:

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
That's good! I hate to ride off into the woods without the extra weight of a Springfield XD. Never know what kind of human you are going to run into. I had to display it once. Sure defused the situation quickly. The dude decided I was going to win and went on his way. :fighting0002:
Are we talking Virginia or West Virginia here?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aggghhhhh I'm so excited about the upcoming events! My first time participating so I'm really looking forward to it.
Here's my deal, I am definitely going to the stolen pig rally (as long as my ride is still chugging along and I'm physically able lol). I am going to need a better set of tires. Any advice on a good knobby tire that is a good value for the cheap KLR owner? I want to keep cost down but I don't want garbage. Advice?

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
You said, "cheap."

If you're looking for a 50/50 tire, half slab and half unpaved, I've had good luck with Kenda K270s (a couple of other tire manufacturers have products with essentially identical treads).

If you're REALLY serious about off-roading, the DOT knobby, Kenda TrakMaster II will get the job done (watch it on paved surfaces; front tire doesn't accommodate severe lateral movement too well under such conditions; otherwise, much more versatile on the slab than it looks).

Check out "Go Race;" the staff has the experience, and tires in stock you can actually kick!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks I'll look into it further. Kenda actually made it to the top of my list when I started looking at tires. Kenda and Dunlop 606s sound popular with riders.
You guys should be proud, I'm usually just dressed in jeans boots and a good helmet as "protective gear" but that's changing, I have ordered a padded pant/jacket set and am looking into handguards!
Yesterday I had my first KLR fall. I rode up a set of steps then tried to make a turn and slid down in the mud (immediately as I made a celebratory WOOO!!). Aside from being sore, having a pinched nipple (I landed weird af) and my boot now having a camel toe all is good. ? pretty funny fail. Dad was shouting We gotta get this muffler off your foot, your ankle's stuck!. My response? DON'T HELP HELP ME, DON'T HELP ME!
Cowgirl up :) I heaved the bike upright and checked my baby out for damage.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
Glad to see some interest in the Romney Cycles Camp and Ride this year!

I posted announcements on this forum last year, but . . . I don't think a single inmate attended this splendid event (excepting myself).

You won't be disappointed, have fun!

BTW, do you ride Eagle Bay (near King George)? Maybe a little tight for a bike as heavy as the KLR 650.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have yet to do Eagle Bay. I heard it's a small track down by the Potomac. Is that the same place? If so ,They are having a ride here soon. I may have to check it out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts