Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to apologize for shuffling these dates around. Going back to April 24-26 I think is a better weekend for us. There is a BMW rally going on in Hiawassee on the weekend of June 1-3 that a few of our guys were scheduled to go to. We will be sharing TWoS with another group (ABR), which should be fun!

This is our 3rd annual VITS rally! Two Wheels of Suches has always been a nice place to stay, eat good meals, and enjoy hanging out with friends! The lodge was the first place I every stayed on a motorcycle ride, way back in the 1900's (1992)! The roads are great in that area, and I always enjoy going back!

What: Valley in the Sky '15
When: April 24-26
Who: Dualsports/Adventure Bikes of all sizes! (All bikes welcome, though)
Where: Two Wheels of Suches http://twowheelsofsuches.com/

Many of you know we lost DirtRoadPassion (Bob) to Leukemia this past month. I have talked with his wife, Lisa, and have invited Bob's sons, Zack and Ryan, to ride with us during this weekend! I would like to have the Saturday ride be a memorial ride in honor of Bob! I know he loved practically all of the area.........but I would like some of the guys he rode with most, to lead this ride to some of those special places he liked!

Rider.......................Days......................Commute/Digs
cherokee_chuck..........Fri(pm)-Sun..............Tent
Jerry Attrick.................?-?....................Tent
ringo..........................?-?....................?
Delta Dog...................Sat....................Cabin
cwatson411................Fri/Sat-Sun.........Tent
johnrandall.................Fri-Sun...............Tent

Look forward to seeing you guys and gals again!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Anybody else interested in joining us at Two Wheels of Suches? If you are not sure you can make it for the whole weekend........come join us on Saturday! That is the day we are riding in memory of Bob! Check out his thread.......... DIRTROADPASSION

Dates are April 24-26

(Can someone please change the title of this thread to the Proper dates? Thanks!)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1 week left...........hope to see you guys in Suches!

I want to apologize for shuffling these dates around. Going back to April 24-26 I think is a better weekend for us. There is a BMW rally going on in Hiawassee on the weekend of June 1-3 that a few of our guys were scheduled to go to. We will be sharing TWoS with another group (ABR), which should be fun!

This is our 3rd annual VITS rally! Two Wheels of Suches has always been a nice place to stay, eat good meals, and enjoy hanging out with friends! The lodge was the first place I every stayed on a motorcycle ride, way back in the 1900's (1992)! The roads are great in that area, and I always enjoy going back!

Many of you know we lost DirtRoadPassion (Bob) to Leukemia this past month. I have talked with his wife, Lisa, and have invited Bob's sons, Zack and Ryan, to ride with us during this weekend! I would like to have the Saturday ride be a memorial ride in honor of Bob! I know he loved practically all of the area.........but I would like some of the guys he rode with most, to lead this ride to some of those special places he liked!

Rider.......................Days......................Commute/Digs
Slim..........................Sat-Sun...............?
Tom..........................Sat-Sun...............?
jagger_snitt...............Fri-Sun................Tent
James (j_s father)......Fri-Sun.................Tent
Dougiefresh...............Fri-Sat.................Tent

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 week left...........hope to see you guys in Suches!

Rider.......................Days..................Commute/Digs
tman.......................Sat(pm)-Sun...........Tent

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just noticed on TWoS website that they don't serve lunch on Friday......so, Friday morning, we can do some local riding, then swing by TWoS around 12:30 and pick up anyone that came in during our ride, then leave out for some great BBQ at Jim's Smokin Que!

Rider.......................Days..................Commute/Digs
tman.......................Sat(pm)-Sun...........Tent
yotaman423...............Fri-Sun................Tent

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like 2 good weather days of riding......with 1 ugly day (Saturday) stuck in the middle. Just checking to see if this weather forecast will change anyone's plans?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Such a super time getting back over to Two Wheels of Suches this past weekend! The threat of rain changed a few minds of possible attendees, but all went smoothly with just rain during the night.....finishing around breakfast! Of those that did show up: JohnRandall, Deltadog, Jerry Atrick, Jagger_Snitt, and myself, the riding was great! I want to give a shout out to the Staff at TWoS for making our stay a great one! As you will see, Bill (owner) and his crew has got the place in super shape! Oh, something I kept hearing from riders all weekend long......'Look how lush and green that grass is!' It slept good for sure! Also, thanks to Deltadog for bringing the cool memorial stickers for DirtRoadPassion!

Friday

Spencer and I left Cleveland, TN around 7:30 am, heading for Suches.........we arrived at 9:00 and got our first pic of the day in front of the Lodge! After setting camp, Jerry Atrick, who got there the evening before, came over to welcome us! He finally filled us in on who this mysterious ABR group that had about 20 people taking up the cabins and Lodge rooms............drumroll............ No, they are not the Adventure Bike Riders..............nope, not the Atlanta British Riders..........they are none other than...........the members of the Alf's Bar Riders/Run/Racers, or something like that. I will let Dave fill you in on the story. Another story he will have to tell is why he was the only person not on a KLR this weekend.........

Well, after Deltadog and JohnRandall rolled in, we headed out! We checkout a few places before coming back to camp to pick up any late comers. None present, so we headed over to Jim's Smokn' Que for some excellent BBQ! We met a fine fellow riding a green KLR there....hope to see him around more! After eating, Deltadog had to split.....so after a visit at Brasstown Bald, John wanted to ride around Tray Mtn. Afterwards, we checked on Cherokee Campground and then headed off to Richard Russell for some carving fun! After some dirt/scenery over to Neel Gap, we heading for supper at Turner's Corner Café! Randall headed to the house as we made our way back to camp. After some lies being told while rocking on the porch of the lodge till midnight, the rest of us hit the hay!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Pics continued from Page 1 of this thread

Saturday

It wasn't until late Friday night when I really felt the rain wasn't going to be much of an issue for Saturday! We woke up to the heavier shower promised around 8....and it was done for good by 9am! After eating a hearty breakfast and witnessing the signing of Dave's newspaper article of Shane Smith's Ironbutt Run, and me getting a pic of the Scooter Scum banner that Tommy and Bill brought me into back in the 90's, Bill offered to take me and Spencer on an 'easy' hike to a couple of waterfalls just behind his property in the National Forest land. His easy hike may mirror my easy rides...........because we were put through some 70 year old mountain-man terrain (you had to be there). Too bad I didn't get video of him falling in the creek! Well, after swinging by and seeing where the old brothel (pic #13) from the CCC days, and a great hike, we got back to camp to eat some lunch with Dave and head out on our Saturday Memorial Ride! It is probably more fitting to have called the whole weekend a Memorial Ride, because we talked about Bob throughout our time there. I talked with Ryan (Bob's eldest son), and though he was close to coming up just for the day, due to having just got off a flight the night before and having to leave out Sunday, I encouraged him that all was good and we would just see him at TDT X! It looks like a big part of Bob's family will be coming that weekend and enjoying some riding, sightseeing, and visiting friends at camp!

Well, back to riding.............I have mostly ridden with Bob at the TDT rallies, so with only the 3 of us, Dave said......let's go ride Flatland Rd! Again, I will let him give his thoughts on those words. Well, since that road's days are probably numbered........and it is one of the most fun roads in the area..........and Bob would have wanted it that way..........we decide to hit it! After having fun there, we hit many other FS roads/trails in the area before coming back for a great time of fellowship with the many riders riding through.... and also a replay of the Argentina MotoGP!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sunday

Well.........some of you know that to conserve my Kitchen Passes for these annual rides, I have to give up many of the 'Scouting Days' I use to take. To offset that a bit, I normally leave Sunday open to finding places I don't already know. This ride wasn't any different.........so the 3 of us are off again after having a 'Spare Tire' for breakfast! I couldn't remember if I had ever been up the road to see the AT's overlook near camp......so we hit that first. Later we visited the 'swinging bridge' that the Benton Mackaye Trail goes over before riding the cool FS 333.......then heading to eat a later lunch at Van Zandts Store! After lunch, we head back to TWoS to pack up, take a few pics of the staff that make it all work, and hit the road back home. Dave (who is in my opinion, one of the best ambassadors of the KLR Community) was a little sad that the weekend had to come to an end. But more excellent rallies and riding awaits! See you guys at the next one......................

1 - 20 of 20 Posts