Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, KLRistas, I need some brain power assist!

I paid good money for a valve adjustment (wasn't quite ready to attempt this myself), And one exhaust valve needed adjustment. I brought her home and everything was fine. At about 30 miles after the adjustment, the bike began to run rough. Pulling in the clutch lever with no gas, and she would die. I turned around and headed home, and sometime before I got there, she started running fine again.

Then, yesterday, about 115 miles after the adjustment, I was riding to work. Again, she started running pretty rough. Again, with the clutch pulled in and no gas, and she would die. I turned around and got her home. She wouldn't idle at lower than 3,000 rpm. I took my truck to work and was 20 minutes late!

I have no idea if the valve adjustment has anything to do with this. It almost seems like I got bad gas, but I pretty much run it empty before refilling, and this tank had over 70 miles on it before the valve adjustment.

And ideas?:banghead:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Check the vent lines off the tank.

Check the vacuum lines off the carb. 1 goes to the back of the petcock, 1 goes to the charcoal cannister by the shock.

Could be a short in the harness maybe, seems like that would kill the bike though. Sounds more like a vent problem to me. Backtrack the work the tech did to get to the valves.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Yup, guessing it's a fuel or vent problem. Perhaps something got jostled or pinched when it was reassembled after the valve adjustment?

Definitely not the valve adjustment itself, if something was wrong there it either wouldn't run at all, or would run poorly all the time.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Cliffmeister2000,
My suggestion if a 'floatie' in the carburetor.
Sometimes it is sucked up against the pilot jet, won't let enough fuel into the engine. Engine allowed to die, 'floatie' falls away from the jet.
Restart bike, OK, for awhile.

In addition to the above suggestions, try this.
Drain the carburetor, leave the drain open, stand the bike straight up.
Crank the engine a few rotations to let vacuum open the fuel valve and rinse the float bowl. Do it a couple more times.
Or disconnect the fuel hose from the petcock, and spray carb cleaner thru hose.

If you put the carb drain hose into a glass jar, you can see what comes out, if anything other than gas does.
Sometimes you can get lucky.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Dump a can of Seafoam in. Magic stuff and a cheap fix at $8. May do nothing, but it sure won't hurt. :35a:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. I'm leaning toward the pinched line, but will pick up some seafoam anyway. Unfortunately, I'm going out of state for a few days, and it will be next Wednesday before I have a chance to do anything at all!

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Any chance to have your mechanic perform a re-look?

I'd think your professional service provider would be willing to examine your bike, given the symptoms occurring immediately after he'd serviced it.

Don't think the valve adjustment (was any adjustment required? or were the valves within specifications?) caused the problem; more likely, pinched wire loom, pinched vacuum/vent hose/questionable connection, etc., from removing-and-replacing tank, plastic, etc.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I finally was able to take it back to the dealer Tuesday evening. Wednesday I got it back running fine. They said they adjusted the carburetor, and t "just started running like a Swiss Sewing Machine". I'm guessing there was a floatie knocked loose when they worked on it the first time, and when they played with the carburetor they allowed it to pass. Kind of like a kidney stone...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts