Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on adjusting my valve clearances on a KLR 650 I just bought (1995, 33500 miles) and when I pulled the shims out they were all 265's. Is that the factory installed shim, or do you think someone happened to install all the same value shims?

Mostly though, I want to know what size shim to get for the right exhaust valve, which has no clearance right now (I couldn't stick a .038 mm feeler gauge in that one). The other clearances are: left exhaust - .076-.102 mm; right intake - .152-.178 mm; left intake - .127-.152 mm. If the cam were just barely touching the shim, I could put in a 245 and the valve would be in the middle of the spec range. A 240 would put it at the top of the range in that case, but if the came is pushing slightly down on the valve shim a 240 might work out to about the middle of the range. What shim size would you recommend?

·
Registered
173 Posts
It looks like you've thought this out pretty well. I think I'd try the 240 since, at the very worst, it would then be at the top of the range. Most times I shoot for the top-side anyway. Better to be half a hair too loose than too tight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts