Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my initial valve check this week. All were in spec except the left intake which was a tad tight at .08mm.

Pretty sure came from the factory on the tight side.

Here are the inspection numbers: Left exhaust .15 Right exhaust .20 Left intake .08 Right intake .18

I took the shim from the left exhaust and installed it on the left intake and only had to purchase one shim for the left exhaust.

These are the numbers after the install: Left and right exhaust .20 Left and right intake .18

This makes for a perfect balance of left and right clearances. The exhaust is dead center between tight and loose while the intakes are on the looser side.

Now I can ride the dukie out of it and not worry about the valves for a good long while. Just kidding about the dukie as I rarely rev it past about 5500 rpm.

Ride on brothers and Cheers mates. :cool:

Office supplies Kitchen utensil Wind instrument Metal Bicycle part

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adjusting the valves is kind of fun. Feels good to know clearances are in spec and you did it yourself.
After putting a new motor in my truck (not fun) it was pure joy to work on my easy KLR.

Assuming, when it comes to mechanical things, is often a recipe for disaster. This is why I decided to check them early in the program.

My buddy Pat, a retired Navy Seal, used to tell me "Assumption is the mother of all [email protected]%K ups." A wrong assumption on your bike could cost you parts and labor while a wrong assumption on the teams could cost you your life and maybe your team members too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts