Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had a day off and decided to do a valve check. I assumed this was done at the place I purchased the bike since it had 9500 miles on it already. As you all know, never assume anything.....I'm thinking these have never been adjusted by looking at the exhaust clearances.
Below are my numbers and the shims "I think" I need to order.....if someone could give me a sanity check that would be great.

Left exhaust: .004 with 265 shim
Right exhaust: .003 with 260 shim
Left Intake: .005 with 260 shim
Right Intake: .005 with 260 shim

I "think" I need these:
Left exhaust: 252 to bring it to .009
Right exhaust: 245 to bring it to .009
Left Intake: 255 to bring it to .007
Right Intake: 255 to bring it to .007

Does this sound right?

Neither of my exhaust valves were in spec, but I don't see any signs of burning or scarring and my bike always fired right up....just glad I checked them now instead of putting it off again until Winter.

thanks for reading

-
T

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
AFAIK the valve shims are only in increments of .05mm in which you would need a 250 for the left exh. making the clearance .010 in.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the forum !!! Well heck, I see you joined in 2010 and only have 7 posts.

I wish some around here would keep as quiet as you. Just kidding, jump in anytime !!!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Good reply flash!
For clarification each .05mm increment equals .002in change. The shims are only available in .05mm increments. You are better off with a tiny bit too much clearance than a tiny bit not enough!!
jj

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Good reply flash!
For clarification each .05mm increment equals .002in change. The shims are only available in .05mm increments. You are better off with a tiny bit too much clearance than a tiny bit not enough!!
jj
Actually .00196850394 in. But what's a few tenths between friends?

Seriously, why the U.S. doesn't embrace metrification is beyond me. Simple, if you can count to ten and do a little division / multiplication it's much simpler.

Is "simpler" even a word"? Spelling Nazi's fire at will......

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
It is much more simple to say it this way.:banhim:
jj

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Yeah, but it's much more simple to say simpler. I shall submit this to the Oxford.

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
...Seriously, why the U.S. doesn't embrace metrification is beyond me. ....
We are, flash, we are.

Inch by inch, we're getting there.

T

p.s. Easy to remember that a millimeter is 40 thousandths of an inch (.04). It's actually 0.0393701", but even the Canadanians will cut us slack on the difference.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Sounds more like millimeter by millimeter....which is faster than micrometer by micrometer, not to be confused with a micrometer which measures in thousants of an inch.
jj

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
We are, flash, we are.

Inch by inch, we're getting there.

T

p.s. Easy to remember that a millimeter is 40 thousandths of an inch (.04). It's actually 0.0393701", but even the Canadanians will cut us slack on the difference.
How do these threads get so derailed? Poor Todd, he will never come back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's all good, I got a good chuckle.
Ordered my shims and guess I will concentrate on reloading(my other hobby) since the bike is all apart and looking sheepish.

-
T

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Sort of on topic again discussing metric/inch measurement methods.

Years ago working as a machinist in a tool & die shop we did a large percentage of work for Caterpillar. The blueprints would come down from engineering with all the metric dimensions crossed out and converted to inch making an already complicated drawing even more so with a few mistakes added in. I found a 0-25mm micrometer in a pawn shop and began using it on the smaller parts until I was found out and all hell broke loose. My defense was that there was no chance of error in the conversion and the metric mic was more accurate having finer threads and graduations. Blank stares then much argument ending in me having to physically remove this vile instrument from the shop.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Canada has supposedly been metrificated for 30+years and EVERY DAY I have to convert from Imperial to Metric or vice versa. Dimensions, pressure, temperature, weight, volume, distance......It's enough to make you go mad. Then you have to make a metric thread on a standard lathe:banghead: When I was in school, the standard lathes had just been replaced with metric only lathes in the name of metrification ,of course ALL the blueprints were still Imperial dimensions.......
Regards....justjeff

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
After leaving that shop I went largely unaffected other than measuring valve shims for the various bikes I've had. Went to Greece last summer on a job that in part required having some components for the compressor we were working on machined at a local shop. I knew what was needed to be removed in inches (.020) and did the conversion for the machinist. I noticed that the DRO on the machine had an in/mm button as most do to switch back and forth. It would have been more simple to have had him use this than making the conversion.

Think he would use it? HELL NO!!! The fear works both ways.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Ummmm, errrrr...... Straying again, but in another life before the blessed Mrs. Flash came along and pointed out the error of my ways, an "eight ball" meant 1/8th ounce and a "lid" consisted of three fingers in a baggie, sticks and stems included. However I do remember that a "key" meant 1 kilo, or 2.2 pounds. Probably my first introduction to the metric system.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
On a more serious note, does anybody just use a metric feeler guage and specs for this process? I got the shim conversion "formula" on here. I didn't feel like going out and finding and buying a metric feeler guage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts