Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 2006 klr 650 and am in the process of checking my valves....i have turned the rotor counter clockwise as stated and find a mark with an f instead of a t, which is what the book refers to top dead center....there is no t on mine....there is one more mark but no letter next to it....anyone know if i should refer to the mark with the letter f as top dead center ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
i own a 2006 klr 650 and am in the process of checking my valves....i have turned the rotor counter clockwise as stated and find a mark with an f instead of a t, which is what the book refers to top dead center....there is no t on mine....there is one more mark but no letter next to it....anyone know if i should refer to the mark with the letter f as top dead center ?
Hey Anuwolf Welcome to the forum. It is possible that you don't have a T on your rotor. However, what you are looking for is a vertical line with a side ways T beside it. Often called a Lazy T it can be difficult to see. If you don't find it, there are many ways to find TDC. Just be sure that you are at TDC on the firing stroke. Ride Safe James

·
Administrator
3,680 Posts
DON'T use the "F" mark as TDC. The "T" comes after the "F" when you are rotating the crank. It may help you if you are doing this with the valve cover removed. At TDC the marks on the camshaft sprockets point forward, and line up with the surface of the cylinder head.

Check this website for a excellent tutorial with pictures: MarkNet - KLR650

Welcome to the Forum. Please add your location information to your User Profile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey many hanx for the info through investigative research thanx to a friend, i got it all sorted out....glad to be part of this forum

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
And . . . the lazy "T" appears TWICE each cycle; the one you want is between compression and power strokes, NOT exhaust and intake strokes.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
And . . . the lazy "T" appears TWICE each cycle; the one you want is between compression and power strokes, NOT exhaust and intake strokes.
The way you tell the difference is the arrows on the cam chain sprockets point rearward at the top of the exhaust stroke and forward (the one you want) at the top of the compression stroke. Also the cam lobes are pointing up and away from the shim buckets so you can get a feeler gauge in to measure the clearance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts