Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing it this weekend on a couple bikes and we have never done it ourself. Are there some shims that I can order and get before hand to try our luck at? If so what sizes and how many of each. I will call tomorrow to get them on order. Not really wanting to buy the assorted kit since it is so much $$ to drop and I am not swimming in cash right now.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
The kit they sell has a few on the ends that are extreem sizes, I M H O, the sizes get smaller the more times its done, but they should range fro 245, to 260. 245 250 255 260, two of each "should" get the job done. You will have the four from each bike to work with also.

Check the prices, one well know vendor sells them for about half the price of the other vendors. I just can't remember which one right now.

·
Registered
989 Posts
i just threw away a bunch of 260's and 255's,they were really stacking up. the most needed sizes are 240,245, and 250. if you have those three sizes on hand you can swap things around between the bikes and get pretty close on all of them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
larryboy said:
i just threw away a bunch of 260's and 255's,they were really stacking up. the most needed sizes are 240,245, and 250. if you have those three sizes on hand you can swap things around between the bikes and get pretty close on all of them.
This struck me as funny. Is your workspace as small as a shoe box? I know I have literally hundreds of shims for various cycles and they take up less room than a thin cigar box. Use those useless shims as trading stock with a cooperative MC shop...

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I needed two 255's the last time I did a valve job, ordered two to replace the 2 I used. If you decide to throw any more away please let me know.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got off the phone with the parts guy. He asked if I knew the diameter since they have no way of knowing what the KLR's are and Kwai does not even know :roll:

Holy crap! I just looked on the OEM part numbers and shims are $10/ea. :shock: I am not going to buy 10. sheeeit!

Arrowhead sells them for $5/ea or $70 for a 16 pack assortment. I will just wait until I check my clearances and then order the ones I do need. http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/parts_frames.html

BMW K1200LT shares the same 29mm valve diameter. I am going to call my dealer and see if they do a shim exchange program.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Daddyjoe said:
If you decide to throw any more away please let me know.
okay. we'll start a valve shim deal for our extras. $5 for my time+shipping get's whomever the shims they need that i would throw away. when things build up again i'll start a thread.

·
Registered
284 Posts
btl68 said:
larryboy said:
This struck me as funny. Is your workspace as small as a shoe box? I know I have literally hundreds of shims for various cycles and they take up less room than a thin cigar box. Use those useless shims as trading stock with a cooperative MC shop...
BTL68, is your avatar what I think it is? Yamaha 100 Twin? That goes waaay back!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts