Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if adjusting the valves are like adjusting valves on an old Volkswagon? If they are, then does anyone know what the specs are and tolerances? Also any tips would be great.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Exhaust spec is .006 - .010
Intake spec is .004 - .008

If I'm remembering correctly.

Never did the valves on a VW. Blew the motor first.

·
Administrator
8,236 Posts
Can anyone tell me if adjusting the valves are like adjusting valves on an old Volkswagon? If they are, then does anyone know what the specs are and tolerances? Also any tips would be great.
The best tip would be to link you to this video. That way you can watch as it's done and see what you're getting into.

It's not like on an old VolksBeetle. The KLR is a double overhead cam, shim-in-bucket arrangement. So if it were like an old VW, maybe it would be like a Rabbit or Golf.

Dunno for sure, I never really liked VWs much...

Tom

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts

·
Administrator
8,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schmitz
Dunno for sure, I never really liked VWs much...

Tom

Well, I mean, sure, if you chop them up and put a Manx body on they are fine and all, but really.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Mrs LKJW has been "trying to sell her VW" since we met:

But I can't say anything, or I get this thrown in my face:

(Damn pretty, both of them. One of them is actually kind of fun to operate, too. Take a guess. Although I will say that I have never driven a vehicle that gets the attention/waves/female adulation that the VW does.)

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I guess this thread is jacked.

I WANT THAT GHIA!!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
The GHIA is so for sale. 69. Best year. ;)

Dang, I am a thread-jacker. Keeps things off kilter. Ghost in the machine. Nevermind. :)

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
...that is one sweat Ghia! How they got that Italian design (I think) and put a 35 HP engine in it is beyond me!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I like the way the 69 looks. Some of the later years not so much. But yeah, it looks sweet...until you look inside, then it looks like pack of drunk wolverines went apeshit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts