Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
4,912 Posts
I'm in Kelowna but Norm Keller is a mechanic in Chilliwack and he hosts the facebook page "KLR Technical". If you want to touch base with him, PM me and I'll forward you his email as he doesn't participate much here anymore.

Cheers,
Dave

· Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Hey there! I just picked up my first KLR as well and am located in Vancouver. I was wondering if you've found some good off road access trails locally?
Welcome Cameron,

I'm in Kelowna so I'm not sure where the good routes are in the lower mainland. I've ridden around McNutt mountain in Maple Ridge and Chipmunk Creek out by Cultus lake on my dirt bikes. ....I know others ride in the Cultus Lk area on dual sports.

Cheers,
Dave

· Registered
31 Posts
Hey welcome. Im in Vancouver too. I live in Kits and I've met another rider here. We've been out a couple times to Squamish. Send me your info and we can meet up for a ride.

· Registered
31 Posts
Hey that sounds great. Ive already met a few guys in Vancouver with KLRs and we've done a few rides to Squamish. Im pretty new to Forums but we could exchange emails or cell numbers and meet up. Im In the Kitsilano area and ride early most weekends.

· Registered
31 Posts
Hey that sounds awesome. Send me a pm and we can meet up and ill show you a few trails while your in Vancouver.

· Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if anyone still monitors this, but...

I just picked up a green '02 with 62K kms on it, am slowly nursing it back to ridable and semi-fashionable health, I have done oil, coolant & air filter changes, re-soldered eaten up taillight wiring, have brake (F & R) fluids to change (& maybe front pads soon), new clutch and brake levers, swapped seats (used grey stock picked up off FB mktplc), added KLR plastic hand guards, unsure if doohickey had been done, will eventually get to a carb rebuild or jet kit, maybe check valve clearances soon as well. There's an exhaust leak at the back of the header before the first pipe clamp but have to rip off the header wrap tape the previous owner put on to see what the truth is. Insured it & was riding all last week to work in Richmond from my place in Van before the snow this week.

Would be keen to trade maintenance tips, tools, get out for some trail rides etc when it warms up again (or even as long as there's no snow on the ground tbh I'm game). Located in South Mt Pleasant in Van.

Cheers!
Jeremy

· Premium Member
12,557 Posts
There's an exhaust leak at the back of the header before the first pipe clamp but have to rip off the header wrap tape the previous owner put on to see what the truth is. Insured it & was riding all last week to work in Richmond from my place in Van before the snow this week.
Best to look closely at the Underside of the air filter box for melted hole caused by exhaust leakage.
Any dust entry is too much dust entry! It will forever wear on the valves, valve seats & rings/piston lands, causing more & more oil consumption as it does so. Which can lead to Too Low of oil volume to push oil UP to lubricate the camshaft bearings, $$$$$.
See this homemade guard,

· Registered
68 Posts
Hi Jeremy,
I'm in Victoria, so not far as the crow flies. Too bad about that ferry though.
I seem to ride through Vancouver a few times a year and generally try to find a more interesting routes to the interior than the highway, gravel is preferred. I'm already planning a long ride of mostly off-pavement travel for the summer. Maybe we can make something happen.
If you are ever on the south end of the island get in touch. Not too many trail rides around here because there are lots of locked gates... but I might know a few that only look locked.
Lyle

· Registered
4 Posts
Best to look closely at the Underside of the air filter box for melted hole caused by exhaust leakage.
Any dust entry is too much dust entry! It will forever wear on the valves, valve seats & rings/piston lands, causing more & more oil consumption as it does so. Which can lead to Too Low of oil volume to push oil UP to lubricate the camshaft bearings, $$$$$.
See this homemade guard,
Thanks a lot for that advice man! I think the clean side of the airbox is still intact, as I just changed the filter (& found out by taking the old filter out that there was no filter cage, so replaced that with an OEM one) & saw no evidence of melt-age inside the airbox. That link is an awesome resource for heat shielding solutions for the airbox and coolant header reservoir.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi Jeremy,
I'm in Victoria, so not far as the crow flies. Too bad about that ferry though.
I seem to ride through Vancouver a few times a year and generally try to find a more interesting routes to the interior than the highway, gravel is preferred. I'm already planning a long ride of mostly off-pavement travel for the summer. Maybe we can make something happen.
If you are ever on the south end of the island get in touch. Not too many trail rides around here because there are lots of locked gates... but I might know a few that only look locked.
Lyle
Hey Lyle, wicked - I was there probably 5+ times this summer as I have some friends all over Vic - I lived in Bamfield on the far west side of the island a few years ago so love the island & currently work as a mariner so get to pop over to the island occasionally for work. I'd love to get out exploring in the spring, whether on the lower mainland towards the interior or even north island. I haven't rode any off-pavement on a dual sport, but ripped my previous Suzuki Gladius (sport-touring w/ road tires) down logging roads from Port Alberni to Bamfield & back with no so I should be able to get the hang of some dirt/gravel.
I'm new to this forum thing so send me a private message with your contact info if you want/can somehow, haha.

· Premium Member
12,557 Posts
I think the clean side of the airbox is still intact, as I just changed the filter (& found out by taking the old filter out that there was no filter cage, so replaced that with an OEM one) & saw no evidence of melt-age inside the airbox. That link is an awesome resource for heat shielding solutions for the airbox and coolant header reservoir.
The very front corner of the clean side box is the most susceptible to melting, remove the brake reservoir and use a flashlight to have a GOOD look. Also inspect that the clean side drain hose is attached & Plugged at the bottom.

You ought to look at ALL of pages of KLR info available on Tom Schmitz's Souperdoo site, wow.
His Table of Contents has only about Half of it. Check out his other 'Stuff that he thinks about', about another 6 pages!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts