Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short time back I took my KLR on a roughly 120-mile round trip to watch my son's 7th grade football team in action at an away game. About 10 miles into the trip, I discovered my factory windshield was a bit loose, so I pulled off on a gravel road to tighten the nuts. I had just started tightening when an obviously much-ridden white dual sport pulls of the highway and stops next to me. Off comes the helmet, revealing an older gentleman, who asked if I needed help. I told him thanks, and as I finished tightening the nuts, we talked for a bit. He was on a 2006 Suzuki DR650 that he said he had bought new to replace his '96 DR. I happened to glance at his odometer, and it read 68,700 miles! He said he was retired, and divided the year between a home in a community about 20 minutes south of me, and southern Florida. His bike had GPS, digital display, tank panniers, tank bag, saddle bags, and what looked like a Kawa tail bag. He said he preferred the Suzuki simply because it was lower than the KLR or the Honda XR, but his riding buddy in Florida rode a KLR. He also reported that last winter, the pair had ridden their bikes from Florida to San Diego and back just for something to do. The day I met him, he was on his way back from a solo trip to have lunch in a diner he had heard about in a town about two hours away. I was mightily impressed. I was more impressed a couple of weeks later when I told a buddy of mine about the encounter. When I told him the gentleman's name, he laughed out loud, and said the guy is 85 years old! Turns out, my buddy bought the '96 DR from the gentleman. What's more, the gentleman was a motorcycle courier in WWII, and quite often rode under fire. My buddy said that before he bought the '96, the gentleman demonstrated how well it ran by riding a wheelie on the street in front of his house. Just goes to show you can never guess who's under that helmet.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Great story, thanks man.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I enjoyed reading that, cool, very cool.

Ard

·
Registered
815 Posts
Awesome story! Stuff like this is interesting for sure. I had similar (in a roundabout way) incident, but with rock climbing. Had a buddy where everywhere we went he knew somebody. It was crazy and become an ongoing joke/challenge kind of thing! There were many incidents, but there are two most memorable. First incident was 2 miles out at a remote crag our buddy messed up his ankle and couldn't walk on it. We splint it up best we could, gathered all our gear and his gear and ready for long afternoon of limping him out of there. It was going to be a major chore as it's rough trail, etc. Few minutes before starting on our way some horses rounded the corner and saw our situation. It's rare enough for horses to even come along, but sure enough Andy knew one of the riders from conversations online about the trail systems there and one of them was even a doctor with some supplies. They prepped his ankle much better and then hauled him out for us and we met up with them at our vehicle. Second memorable incident was at a rarely used crag where we climbed our way to the top where there was a little more used rec area, but not much. One guy was sitting on the furthest outcrop hanging out and chatting with somebody on his cell. Well, Andy didn't know the guy, but we introduced ourselves and he was telling the guy on the phone that he just met two climbers. I told Andy.. "HA!! Finally somebody you don't know". Well, the guy on the phone asked for our names and he told him "Andy and Matt", then the phone guy asked.. "Andy?... Andy who?. The guy told him "Andy Lemon" and sure enough the friggin guy on the phone knew Andy. NO WAY!! Most other incidents happened at more frequently used crags, but it just never failed everywhere we went he knew somebody.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts