Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I recently installed the Tusk crash bars. Since then I feel at weird vibration at 2500 rpm (not 24 not 26). I think it might be because of the bars that emphasize the vibration of the engine but I want to make sure. My mechanic doesn't know. I also changed the doohickey so it's not that. Did anyone experience that?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've read about this several times, but no personal experience.

Since it occurs in a passing rpm range I don't think it can really damage anything. If it was constantly vibrating, yeah, something's eventually gonna give up.

I think it's safe to assume it's the nature of the bars, not anything wrong with the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Almost every time one adds something like exhaust, metal skid plate, Highway pegs, guards, luggage racks, pannier brackets, windshields, etc it changes the harmonics of something else.

And can therefore either be heard or felt and often both! I'll suggest 'normal'.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Try putting a boot against the bar when it starts vibrating. Mine cracked at a weld a while back and I was getting a terrifying noise. Took me a few weeks to try putting a foot up on it and realize that's what it was. Sounded like the engine eating itself.

·
Administrator
8,297 Posts
"Beat me daddy, eight to the bar," Tom buzzed lyrically.

Tom

Reactions: Lockjaw

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
"Decided to step out of my trance," Tom intoned.

Reactions: Tom Schmitz

·
Administrator
8,297 Posts
"Alex, I'll take Andrews Sisters for $400." Tom wagered.

"His was the most commanding version of "Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar," Alex replied airily.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'd never argue with with the commander, Tom rankled.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'd never argue with with the commander, Tom rankled.
That one sucked. Must be time for more bone broth, Tom said saltily. ;)

·
Administrator
8,297 Posts
Compare and contrast.

Have we jacked this thread far enough?

Not by half...

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
This was solid threadjacking. Proud to be a part of it. ;) >:)

·
Administrator
8,297 Posts
I remember driving up Grapevine Hill in my '61 Corvair four door with the two-speed Powerglide transmission, trying to keep it up to 20 mph and with smoke spewing out the back, with "Hot Rod Lincoln" playing full blast.

It was an ill-fated attempt by two 16 year-olds to recreate the HRL route. We were passed like we were standing still.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,297 Posts
It always shook like a dog poopin' peach pits. I think it was it's way of shedding the oil it constantly leaked.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,297 Posts
Yes, that was a well executed threadjack.

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try putting a boot against the bar when it starts vibrating. Mine cracked at a weld a while back and I was getting a terrifying noise. Took me a few weeks to try putting a foot up on it and realize that's what it was. Sounded like the engine eating itself.
This is exactly what it sounds like but only at 2500rpm. It sounds like it comes from the engine. Which part of it cracked on yours?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
This is exactly what it sounds like but only at 2500rpm. It sounds like it comes from the engine. Which part of it cracked on yours?
I have the motech and it was where the highway pegs could be added if you want to look like a douche, lower right (yes, I've been there). Cabrito set me back on the path to righteousness.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts