Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a GoPro HD Hero 2 video camera for Christmas. Now I just need spring to come so I can get some video on the trials.

I'm curious if anyone out there is currently using this video camera on your rides? Where do you like to mount it? Helmet, handle bars, use the chest mount, etc?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I got a Contour Roam camera last week, too.. I too, am waiting for spring.. I've thought about trying it on a snowmobile helmet this winter..

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Can the GoPro be set so that the horizon doesn't come out curved?

I know it's a wide angle but I don't like the "fish-Eye" look.

Also, what is different about the "action" video camera's from a regular video camera?
Would a regular video camera be able to capture without excessive shake/vibration in the video?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are two different wide angle settings, but I haven't played with it enough to know the difference yet. As for the "action" camera, they are waterproof and shock resistant. Supposed to be fairly tough. Watching the various videos on their website make me want to strap the camera on and go jump off something.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I'll be getting a GoPro Hero 2 soon. A coworker bought one for his son to take on their ski/snowboard trip to Zurich. I let him borrow my 250 GB Colorspace UDMA portable hard drive so his kid wouldn't be limited to the number of memory cards they had. Can't wait to see what he comes back with.

Speaking of memory cards, I've read that you should use a "Class 10" or higher card for the camera to record properly. B&H Photo/Video has the Sandisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 (30MB/s) 32GB for $56.95 w/ free shipping.

Larry31, I think (not positive) since the lens has a 170° FOV (Field of View) you're stuck with the round planet. To me, it adds some pretty cool effects to the video.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hmm, been thinking about a camera to record my commutes. Just in case I might need the footage

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah the fish eye is only nice for some things and others it sucks.
My Drift has a wider angle at 760p then at 1080p, check your manual to see if there is
a difference.

Its good to have a few cameras for different things as well. For just normal stuff use a regular video camera or smart phone and use the GP for helmet 1st person POV.

For my vids I have:

1: Phone for stills and video
2: DRIFT for helmet bike mounting and time lapse
3: Canon G9 for stills
4: New toy!! Canon Vixia M41 for normal and zoom video

I would do everything at 720p as it is best compromise for quality, storage space and compression/steaming.

Any action stuff use 60fps settings or you will get a rolling shutter effect (wobble/warble)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's not a Gopro but you can see the way I have my cameras mounted for front and rear view. My buddy mounts his GoPro under the visor and I've seen some others mount right onto the mouth guard, both look good if aimed correctly.

I also wish there was an option on the current cameras to eliminate the fish eye effect, but until they do I still have my VIO POV, even if I stil havn't figured out the mic issue yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts