Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the Tachyon XC (http://www.tachyoninc.com/main.html) helmet cam with the handlebar mounts. Based on the comparisons on youtube, it seems like the best one. Under $150 too. Once I get it and take it out, I'll post the videos on youtube if anyone cares to see them. I doubt they'll be too exciting though.

It's also waterproof to 28 feet. Nice to know if I take an accidental swim with the KLR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes please keep us posted...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Not a bad price and the examples look pretty good, but don't they always. Will be good to see some real life tests. I'm in the market for a camera, want to have one by the time spring arrives.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Video posted

Here's a low quality test of the Tachyon XC camera I mentioned earlier. Again, it's low quality so don't expect much. But it's a first test. I used my Honda Nighthawk instead of the KLR for this test. The camera was mounted on the handlebars. Unfortunately it managed to catch all the vibrations. I do have to say the sound quality was better than I thought it would be.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXZZaJnYb5I

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
KLR Videos

Just in case anyone is interested, I've posted 2 more videos with the camera. Not great quality, nor very exciting. But I did use my KLR this time. I mounted it on the cross bar since there really isn't many other places it'll work. Here's the link:

www.youtube.com/clcrisler

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Just a thought for some of you who ride with friends. I have a helmet cam (VIO POV) and it is great but so often I'm shooting footage of my friends rear ends.:57:
So I build a simple bracket on the luggage rack and mounted my Nikon back there. Turns out it works pretty well and is simple to use. He's a sample in dial up quality.:9: Nice to see people from the front!:)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Good point. I find the POV gets boring after awhile. I mounted a second camera to a boom, pointed back at the bike and splice the results together. This is one of my early efforts:

http://www.vimeo.com/699866
I think you and I discussed this on ADV when I was still deciding what sort of Helmet cam to get. Since then I've tried many mounting points and angles with diffrent cameras. Now I'm also to the point I run multiple gear to get diffrent prespectives and then splice them together. My u-tube link has several of my latest efforts. Still working on hammering the process out:50:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've decided to go with the Canon 1100 Digital Elph camera. I mount it on my backpack strap. The quality is pretty darn good. Unfortunately, it picks up mostly wind noise for the sound. I'm going to post a video I did today on the KLR on the ride home from work. But YouTube was undergoing maintenance. So maybe tomorrow. The Tachyon's sound quality was better than I anticipated. It's also tough. It survived a fall off my handlebars going 45-50mph. No damage sustained.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Buildit- love to see a pic of that rear facing mount- very nice results. Good quality for YT too. I also vimeo ( www.vimeo.com/wearethetide ) and want to start getting the bike involved in my videos. keep up all the experimenting and the sweet videos coming!
Very simply long bolt replacing rear screw with a rubber isolation mount to reduce vibration. The camera screws into the end where the tripod mount goes.:)

My u-tube link has other rear view and helmet cam videos updated as rides happen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i need a cam that can be mounted to face baackwards and that can see at night so i can see whats coming up behind me any ideals out there it my be able to hook up to a portable screen mounted on the handle bars or in a tank bag need nightvision also?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I know it may seem crazy, but I and everyone I know use mirrors to see what's coming up from behind us... Day or night..

·
Registered
357 Posts
I know it may seem crazy, but I and everyone I know use mirrors to see what's coming up from behind us... Day or night..

Cut him some slack Dan. Maybe he's used to a back-up camera in his 36' Motorhome:)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
There are some crotch rocketers who use a rear camera so that they can remove the rear mirrors. After riding my friends CBR1000 I can see why a rear camera is better than mirrors. My head sticks out the front of the bike past the mirrors! LOL I guess if your racing you might not be able to see another rider who up your a$$ with mirrors. Kind of like using the side mirrors on your car vs the Windshield mirror.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts