Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very interested in riding the WA Backcountry Discovery Route. I would like to get a group together for a ride this Spring / Summer, anyone interested?

If you have any expirence on this route please provide info / stories.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Interesting trip and would be a test for me. I have the DVD and will watch it tomorrow. Is it always the same route? The DVD has, Stevenson, Packwood, Ellensburg, Cashmere, Chelan, Conconully, Nighthawk, as the cities that tie the route together.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'd love to do such a ride, but have no idea what my schedule is going to be like that far out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Neither do I but we stand a better chance of putting a small ADV group together if we put ourselves out there. Keep in touch, the season will be here soon enough!

I'd love to do such a ride, but have no idea what my schedule is going to be like that far out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm very interested in riding the WA Backcountry Discovery Route. I would like to get a group together for a ride this Spring / Summer, anyone interested?

Ah Yes the WBDR would be a great ride but perhaps the timing would be best if you consider summer in lieu of spring. We have that nasty snow issue to contend with in these parts. If memory serves me well there are some parts that have a wash out and a redirect will be required to circumnavigate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Mike, as mentioned in the obcdr thread, give yourself some time on these. I've done portions of the wabdr in a jeep (not klr). I've done the obcdr on the klr tho... Better start planning now. It took our party months of planning and prepping to get a launch. If this spring is anying like the last 3 or 4, better delay your ride a bit. We had terrible mud, snow and water holes on route 4. It was a mess. This was late june too! Lol...
Have fun and be safe!:35a:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Safe is boring. :) I don't like planning too much because takes the adventure out of adventure. I've got friends than plan out every minute detail of their trips and it drives me crazy. They wont deviate from a set route no matter how interesting plan B looks. The most memorable adventures are the ones that didn't go as planned i.e. I totaled my '59 Willys CJ5 eight weeks ago south of the Alvord desert. it was still a great three day weekend that I won't forget!

I used some of the insurance money to buy my KLR and can't wait to get back down there! I've enjoyed many years of hiking, getting "lost" and finding my way out with just a map, compass and wits. I don't see adventure riding being much different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im interested

Im looking to find some people who know the route as well.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
910 Posts
I went out to the southern leg of the WABDR last Friday to check it out. I was thinking I would do an afternoon ride from Stevenson to Trout Lake, or as far along that route as I could get.

From Stevenson it was a very pleasant jaunt 4 miles east on WA14 to Carson, and then a couple miles north to Bear Creek Rd, which starts the WABDR in earnest. A mile or so in, it changes from paved to gravel logging road and climbs up the ridge to north of Willard, then downhill towards 141 and Trout Lake.

Two miles up from the Wind River Hwy, there was a rock slide with two big boulders blocking the road (several tons each). I could get between them on the bike, but a 4x4 would not get past them. I got about 9 miles up Bear Creek Rd/NF6808 to the top of the ridge, which is around 2500 ft. There was some old mostly melted snow drift at the intersection of NF6808 and NF68. At this point the WABDR turns right onto 68 and starts downhill towards Oklahoma Rd.(north of Willard). About a quarter mile down this section, I had to cross another snow drift on the road, which was about 50 ft and I was able to duck-walk and power through it. Another quarter mile and another longer drift about 100 ft or so, which I also powered through with outriggers deployed.

Now, remember, I’m going downhill, so I should be getting less snow as I get lower in elevation. But that was not to be. After paddling through another drift and going another quarter mile, I got into an extended snow field that the further I went, the deeper it got. And as I rounded the corner, it went as far as I could see to the next corner maybe a quarter mile away. I knew I wasn’t going to make it forward through that , so I took a break to stop sweating and assess my situation.

To make a long story short, I decided to turn around and fight and waddle and power my way back up the way I came. Of course getting the bike turned around in 8” or so of crusty snow, and then laboriously working my way back the way I came, took a couple hours, and then another half hour to get down to the paved road. By this time it was getting on towards sunset and I was tired. So I headed home.

Anyway, take it from me that you won’t get through this section for another week or more. We have some warmer weather over the next week, so I may try again in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
Sounds like you Almost bit off more than your tires could chew, PeteK? Glad those downhill snow drifts weren't any steeper than they were.

I've been guilty of some of the same type of sillyness, by myself also. :)

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
910 Posts
Yeah, there were a couple times I was wondering if I would have to call my brother to come get me from a hike-out point, or “cowboy camp” for the night.

Note to self: bring a collapsible shovel next time. And put the knobby tires back on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts