Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who all uses this $20 gem?? Good, bad, indifferent??

I don't generally ride longer than 1-2 hours so just looking for a quick "on/off" type seat cover for that longer ride comfort. I can get almost 2 hours of riding before my butt boyz get sleepy with the stock 09 seat!!!

Opinions please!!!!!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Who all uses this $20 gem?? Good, bad, indifferent??

I don't generally ride longer than 1-2 hours so just looking for a quick "on/off" type seat cover for that longer ride comfort. I can get almost 2 hours of riding before my butt boyz get sleepy with the stock 09 seat!!!

Opinions please!!!!!

I didn't notice a significant comfort improvement with the cover. Couple of negatives for me, made the seat more slippery and colder in the winter (because air was getting through the grooves).

Heck $20 give it a try, YMMV

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
I use one and like it. Another downfall to add to those noted by Spec is that it soaks up water. You can spray it all you want with waterproofing spray, but it doesn't work.

You might consider this option. It's nice because you can put it on for longer rides and quickly remove it when not needed:

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=11765

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't notice a significant comfort improvement with the cover. Couple of negatives for me, made the seat more slippery and colder in the winter (because air was getting through the grooves).

Heck $20 give it a try, YMMV
Well.......slippery sounds like a problem but cold here in LA (Lower Alabama) shouldn't be. Maybe a coat of quick tack (light spray adhesive) would work.......or make it permanently stick to my pants. Unfortunately I ride naked sometimes so that is probably a bad idea!! :35a:

I use one and like it. Another downfall to add to those noted by Spec is that it soaks up water. You can spray it all you want with waterproofing spray, but it doesn't work.

You might consider this option. It's nice because you can put it on for longer rides and quickly remove it when not needed:
Fortunately I keep my ride in the garage and could throw it in the rear trunk should the rain come when I am out or at work.

Comfort wise, how much additional comfort time does it buy for you??

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Think of it like putting a thin pad on a 2 X 6... Makes the seat a bit more bareable, but you're still stuck with a less than desire able perch. After this summer I'll likely be ponying up for a real seat but have not decided on which one yet. All said, I guess it gives $20 worth of comfort to get you by.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
got mine about 2 months ago, i noticed an improvement only after i rode another klr without one. glad i got mine.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
It helps. It also raises you a little. Keep that in mind. I passed mine to Cheap Mark when I got my Sargent. The Sargent is head and shoulders better. But it didn't cost twenty bucks...

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
And Cheap Mark luvz it.

A stock takeoff generation 1 would be Ebaycheap and gushy soft.
I wonder if the mounts and plastic side tabs line up with each other
betwween the two models?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It helps. It also raises you a little. Keep that in mind. I passed mine to Cheap Mark when I got my Sargent. The Sargent is head and shoulders better. But it didn't cost twenty bucks...
Fortunately at 6'3" height is not a problem. I think I am gonna have to try one of these!! Sounds like a great opportunity for a local Walmart tour on the KLR!! :bike:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have one and don't care for it, it seems to intensify hotspots, and it is really uncomfortable for my kids while riding 2-up. Any body that wants to pay for shipping can have mine.

Sent from my iPod touch using Motorcycle
Timothys687
More miles and smiles for all!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use one with another pad under it that I cut a hole in the middle of to help with a previous tail bone injury. Seems to be better other than it makes the seat higher which I want a lowered seat anyway. I'm thinking of trying the Seat Concepts deal.

Dustin

·
Registered
341 Posts
I tried one. Used it for a while, and the buckles boogered up the decals on my side panels. Finally took it off and gave it to my brother, 'cause he needed it for his 4-wheeler, after his dogs ate the seat off it. I don't miss it. If I do anything else seat-wise, it'll prolly be a Sargent.

CW

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have this pad and a set of sweet cheeks. (PM it!) this is with a Sargent seat. It is still less than great in the rear. I am seriously considering the Russell Dayrider seat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK......got my seat cover from Timothys687 in BRAND NEW condition.....THANKS!!!!

Cut off all the straps/buckles and had wifey sew them back on using only one buckle per strap, placed in the middle (underside) of the seat instead of one on each edge........now it fits like a glove and looks great!!!!

Testing only consists of one 30 minute ride to work and a 1 hour lunch ride. So far I love it and can definitely tell it makes a big difference. Can't wait for a longer test ride!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts