Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
STILL searching my butt off for some Black Rims for my Gen.2. I live in AZ (Mesa) and am looking hard! I'm even hitting up the Dealership to see if I might get lucky.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Hi Craig, the guy I bought my KLR from found a set of black rims at the Kawasaki dealership in Fargo, ND he said he got them 2 years ago, you could try there. Maybe try smaller city dealerships. I hope this helps, you just never know.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GENIUS!!! The front rm is very difficult to find in black although there are three on eBay right now for $500 apiece if you can believe that!
Your idea is genius though… It never occurred to me that perhaps compile some dealership phone numbers across the rwgion/country; I'll make a few phone calls to see if I get lucky.
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can go gold rims now, too...
Decided on Black for Gen2 repaint and the Black rims would really complete her.

BUT!!!
The Gold Rims'd be SICK!!!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya'll ready for 'DIS???
I'm going Gold.
And by that I mean Gold Rims.

Oh I can just hear you guys ready to give me a hard time about this one but have faith that I know what I'm doing with my motorcycle.
🙂
BTW, I'd be ready to give me a hard time with my fresh new decision that's only a few days old, INFANT YOUNG!
And, yet...
I think I'm dead-spot-on on this one.

On my Gen2 color change I was going to go olive drab primary and black contrast/accents (it makes for a gorgeous AdventureBike)
which is what I needed the black rims for.

After a small windfall (Birthday Yo!) I'm going to build new rims at TheCycleHouse.com (Warp9s) in Gold since my Gen2 will soon be all BlackedOut (including swing arm and fork 'cheats').
$750 delivered (I'm pretty sure... not ordered yet!) including new hubs, Rotors (I'll sell them off) and laced up. I'll add my recently delivered oversize EBC and bracket (Gen2 MUUUUCH better Front Stopper than Gen1, but still not enough for my taste... WILL BE NOW). And I might let them add Tires to their Rims and part of that will depend on you folkseses' responses here.

Question??????????????????????
I can certainly go stock Rims
(F-1.60x21, R- 2.50x17)
and Lord knows I'm a pretty big fan of NOT messing around with basic Engineering from the likes of Kawasaki, Honda, Ducati. but as long as I'm building new rims???

'Any-a you folks recommend an other-than-OEM Rim size change?

I would like to better my right-now-OEM-Gen2 (that'll someday have Cogents/DDRs... but not for a lil while) by making the backend a little bit bigger in order to track more comfortably/stably even though I know it will maybe slow my steer-in some. I will say that I really love/enjoy the street-drive on this bike on the tarmac (and I ride fairly aggressively), but have yet to go off road with this Gen2.

I wouldn't think I would want to mess with the front since it's such a magical wheel size, however I have CONTINUALLY found more than a handful of you guys know quite a bit more than I do about the subject. BTW, I also did my due diligence in researching on this site and found a few helpful stray comments but not enough to make a purchase decision from. And I am riding probably 85/15 street/off-road although I expect that to change to something more like 65/35 as I get my (first) AdventureBikeCamp ON next Fall. And I would rate my skills as experienced and a well above average.

I appreciate any input and I'm eager to hear if I should just go OEM sizes or consider a change to either 'a' Rim or both???

Thx!!!

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
The rear 2.50 x 17 rear rim is actually one size narrower than ideal for a 130 size rear tire, which cause the beads to be squeezed together & 'Rounds' the tire contact patch on the roadway. Gets much worse when people fit a 140 wide tire, which is intended to fit a 3.50 wide rim.

I'll vote for a 3.00 x 17 rear rim & a 1.85 x 21 front rim to put a larger foot-print on the tarmac.

Reactions: 2combs

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is certainly one Member I wanted to hear from...
THANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, they'll let me build a 1.85x21 but on the back right now the only choices I get on a 17 is 2.50 or 3.50??? They also offer an 18x2.50?

I did send an(other) email to a sharp sales person I've been talking to there for a couple of conversations (Corrine) to see if they'll let me build a 17 x 3.0???

It's always something...

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gold it is (their BLK hubs),
ordered last night.

7-Fiddy Sales Price
minus $50 eBay coupon 10% off (max $50)
minus $7.50 eBay bucks which I use as cash once a quarter
minus about $19 cash for credit card rewards points (and to whom I already sent the cash)
minus $20 credit for Front Rotor they keep as I'll be installing EBC 320.
Plus tax no getting around it, $42 dammit
Total?
$695
Gold Warp9 Rims complete [I provide cush, sprocket and bolt 'em on; their rotor on the back (we'll seeeeeee) and my 320 up front].

1.60×21 and
3.50×17 [no 3.0 available though Corrine is checking and muchos thanks to PDWestman for some personal guidance here; taught me it's tire options when I pick the rim size and one can move back-and-forth fairly comfortably along those lines (Rims become a slightly less critical choice as the tires are equally if not more important, a.k.a.: proper match rim to tar Yo!) and as long as everything still fits comfortably in the frames/forks].

I wanted a bigger footprint in the back for a little bit more commute comfort, a slightly bigger contact patch for any riding, and I bet it's gonna look cool too. I'll work with Steve's Motorcycle in Mesa to make sure I get the tire application correct but the chart PDWestman guided me to was quite helpful.

Due in about 30 days or so. In the meanwhile I'll work on my G2 exploded diagram (soon to be linered all black like the other one), Doo, Thermo-Bob, Oil Screen, other "KLR" stuff (dash, Rally Screen, LEDs, you know)... just getting her combat ready!

Going to try a coupla cheats, vinyl contact paper to black out the forks and part of the swing arm to get a real blackout/murdered out appeal.
Struggling with the graphic on the tank/fairing again but I'll figure it out.
Some may remember last results on my G1… Not too bad but the contrast between the graphic and the rest of the paint was a little too subtle for me though I considered it all a success just the same. We'll see in a little bit here when the public either rejects her or buys her up in a split second the G1.

LOOTTTTTSSSA GOINs' ON 'ROUND HERE folks!!!

Thanks for all the help and input and

MORE LATER!!!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Any update on this? I'm a Warp 9 dealer and they told me on the phone that even though their wheel builder online would let you select different color rims that they only offered KLR650 wheels with elite rims due to the weight of the bike and the type of riding, and that they only offer the elite rims in black. I think the exception to that is their supermoto wheels. I'm curious to see how this turns out. Please keep us updated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any update on this? I'm a Warp 9 dealer and they told me on the phone that even though their wheel builder online would let you select different color rims that they only offered KLR650 wheels with elite rims due to the weight of the bike and the type of riding, and that they only offer the elite rims in black. I think the exception to that is their supermoto wheels. I'm curious to see how this turns out. Please keep us updated! Thanks!
Roger Wilco... painting bike, adding/deleting other stuff and hopefully when the Rims arrive I'll just have to hustle 'em over to my local Shop, let them skin 'em, and then schlap 'em on my Bike, take some photos, post them... and await the Shower of Compliments!!!
... at least I hope so!!!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CHRISTMAS IN 'ZONA IN JULY YO!!!

Lookie what done come in the mail today... Warp 9s in Gold! Decided on 21x1.6 and 17x3.50 along with prior purchase of 320 EBC.

Yeh, that's right... I'M BAAAAAD!!!

Now just gotta sell Gen.1 and '03 955 Sprint and I can finish the Gen.2 (black again... can't miss there). CJ has to go, too... but I got my INVENTORY!!!

Yeeeeeeehhhhh,
I GOT SOME WORK TO DO!!!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW, 'got some Black Rims for sale... both rear, one real good, one good...

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
CHRISTMAS IN 'ZONA IN JULY YO!!!

Lookie what done come in the mail today... Warp 9s in Gold! Decided on 21x1.6 and 17x3.50 along with prior purchase of 320 EBC.

Yeh, that's right... I'M BAAAAAD!!!

Now just gotta sell Gen.1 and '03 955 Sprint and I can finish the Gen.2 (black again... can't miss there). CJ has to go, too... but I got my INVENTORY!!!

View attachment 26389

View attachment 26390

View attachment 26391

View attachment 26392

View attachment 26393

Yeeeeeeehhhhh,
I GOT SOME WORK TO DO!!!
Glad you’ve got your rims in hand. Persistence really does pay off. Don’t forget to post some pictures of the finished product.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did you get after the decals on the tank? They are under the clear coat so the only way to remove them is to remove the clear on top either by cutting through it with a razor knife and then removing the decals or by sanding it all off. If you're repainting anyway, recommend sanding down to bare metal. Make sure you use a two part clear for the tank. The one part stuff you get at the local wally world will not hold up to gasoline.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Those colored rims are EXPENSIVE. Cheaper to take yours to a powdercoater.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...and have to disassemble and then rebuild the wheels myself? Fuggedaboudit.
TOTALLY AGREE!!! NOT ONLY THAT!!!
But the tools (right ones) are VERY expensive! That plus lack of skill I'm ALL IN for PAYING for convenience. 'Sides, tried to paint some OEM Rims (Gen1) a while back and when I dropped one on the way to have tires installed it chipped like crazy... GRRRR!!! LiveAndLearn unfortunately.

As far as painting Tank, I agree with the 2 part clear coat (matte)... 2K they call it. $30 bucks a can but a fuel spill won't INSTANTLY discolor my paint like 'regular' cc would. I'm still quick to do a WetWipeOff, Justen Kase. And no decals to remove from my tank so no ghosting of prior decals will come through. I won't have to sand to metal, but I'll still rough it up real good. Going to TruckBedLiner the Gen2 (black). So far I've had excellent success on my Gen1 TBL'd on all polyeth..whatever plastic.

Taking Rims to Steve's MC in Mesa today; want Brian the ServiceManager to guide me on proper fitment/clearance. Going with Avon 85 TrekRiders which look awesome (like those Truck LT tires that aren't super treaded such that they whine on the freeway, but the tread wraps around the wall a little bit makin' 'em look much beefier than they actually are).
Sizes to fit on my Gold 1.60 x 21 and 3.50 x 17 remain to be determined and since they'll do my installation of tires to rims, I'll let them 'take the chance' on proper fitment. I've got a 'table' that shows what can be put on the rear and there is just too many choices for me to feel comfortable ordering 'online' correctly (130/60.70.80.90, 140/60.70.80.90, 150/60.70.80.90, 160/60.70.80). This is where the bike itself comes into play I bet (some won't fit my bike though they will correctly fit the rim). Taking the Rims with to give them a fighting chance along with a couple of swingarm measurements to help them out and letting 'em order the skins, even though I'll pay more, makes me schleep better to be sure. I trust them and they'll also slap on my new rubber to my OEM Gen1 Rear and F/R on '03 Triumph 955 who's treads got EATEN alive (Z rating you know... SHEESH). Can't afford Michelin Pilots that the bike came with and thinking Dunlop Sportmax Z-rateds'll be fine, 'specially since I'll be selling this scooter too (along with Gen1) in less than 1000 miles.

So, gotta sell CJ7, Gen 1 and Sprint and then I can 'GET AFTER' that Gen2... prolly a coupla months yet, but getting closer every day!!! CAN'T WAIT, but must... {{{ sigh }}}

Viffer_Pilot (2K comment)... riding a VFR? Had one, IT WAS AN AWESOME machine! STILL IS I'M SURE!!!

Thanks fellas...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just sold this black beauty ... rims and all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts