Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told you have to install a balancer...? in order for LED signals to work when replacing standard signals is this correct?
If anyone has installed these please give me your input and any specific model/ brand you do or dont like.

Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
297 Posts
I broke off one of my stock rear turn signals a while back and replaced them with some basic led signals from the local shops rack. Bolted up nice and wired up easy. They blink a bit faster than they used to but not too fast that you can't figure out I'm turning. If you were going to switch out both front and rear you would indeed need a in line resistor.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
From what I have read you need to install a diode for each light replace the stock flasher with an electronic unit.

Electronic flasher yes. You just need a diode on the dash indicator light or all the signals will flash together.

I've seen a good write up somewhere but can't find it now. Some use load equalizing resistors with a stock flasher but that increases the current draw. The dash bulb has less resistance than the LEDs and that's why it needs a diode to stop the current from going both ways.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got It. Thanks for the great info from everyone. Any brand or type....yeahs or neahs?
Im sure the fronts have a longer stem...I need this for the KLX.

Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am thinking of putting led turnsignals on the klr, I havent had any since I took all the stock ones off to pass a safety inspection here in MO. The bike has a bit of a makeover with new paint and some other accessories and I would like to round it out with some led's.
Just wanted to get clarification on what exactly I need for this to work.

I planned on using the LF1-S-FLAT universal flasher and some cheap led's from ebay. From other posts Ive read, seems this is all you need, but also seeing posts like this one call for a diode in the mix.

I am not really concerned if the indicator works or not since I can see my blinkers.

So what say the experts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts