Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing my front tire to a more "mud" style for the rainey season, I was cleaning the inside of the rim and discovered a crack on one side of the rim!!

The crack is where they joined the rim together and goes all the way through one short side.

Can you just imagine if the seam failed while riding the bike?

My KLR is a 1999.

I REALLY hope that everybody checks their rims RIGHT NOW!!

In all the years that I have been around bikes (1956), I have never seen a rim fail like this.:(:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good catch!

I've seen a few but they've been longitudinal cracks.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
On it, thanks. My bike is pretty newish, so I doubt it, but knowing Kawi...well, who knows. Good looking out.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
While changing my front tire to a more "mud" style for the rainey season, I was cleaning the inside of the rim and discovered a crack on one side of the rim!!

The crack is where they joined the rim together and goes all the way through one short side.

Can you just imagine if the seam failed while riding the bike?

My KLR is a 1999.

I REALLY hope that everybody checks their rims RIGHT NOW!!

In all the years that I have been around bikes (1956), I have never seen a rim fail like this.:(:(:(:(:(

Good catch!

Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wish I could post a picture but it's too late.
The nearest bike shop is a long way from my house so I had one the local so called "welding" shops attempt to weld the crack.

The weld looked like crap and he warped the hell out of it so I rolled it down the street! It's probably in the next town by now!!

Got a new rim and installed it yesterday.

Feel much safer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts