Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Was the $1,510.77 spent worth it?

12K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  Damocles 
#1 · (Edited)
I got the call that my bike was ready to be picked up. I went down there and gave them what they said I owed. They brought the replaced parts out in a box and held up the clutch plates and asked if I could smell how they had been burnt. I couldn't but, then, maybe they were.

I went out and inspected my bike and found that a screw was missing that holds the radiator screen and plastic tank cover air guide. I told someone about it and they said the guy that worked on it would be right out. He came out several minutes later and told me he was waiting for me to bring my bike to the back, even though there was a large sign on the gate that said customers weren't allowed back there and that the person I spoke with didn't instruct me to take it back there to have one screw put in. No biggie.

He put the screw in and said that he didn't put one in because there was one missing when I brought it in (which is true), but considering I made it clear to the guy that wrote out the work order that I wanted it "to be thoroughly looked over and taken care of, as I don't mind spending the money to get every thing done right" I was surprised that he didn't just take care of it.

Anyway ... I got on my bike and -- which seems to always happen whenever any mechanic service the chain -- I discovered to my displeasure that the chain was way too tight! So, I ignored the sign and rode it to the back and the dude came out and I told him about the chain being too tight. He proceeded to tell me that I needed a new chain and sprocket and so I told him that if I rode it home (35-miles) that I'd need new crank bearing (because of too much stress). He said he'd loosen it up and then brought the bike inside and proceed to shut the garage door so I couldn't see him (which seemed odd since the sun provided a lot of light). He came out a few minutes later with the chain loosed and said, "You need a new chain and sprocket and if it fails and destroys your motor don't blame me"!

To that I stated that I brought it in for service so that I could get everything done and have peace of mind. He responded by saying that the guy that made out the work order had told him that I was at my limit with what I could pay, thus he didn't take care of the (alleged) dangerous chain and sprocket. I in turn told him that I never told him (work order guy) that, but that I said I was surprised when he called and told me what the bill was going to be. I added that I wanted *everything* to be taken care of and that now I have to worry about the chain blowing through the motor?!!!

I told him that I was "out of here" and he said take care.

And yet even after all of that crap, I ride home and while stuck in traffic see that the temp needle is well past the apex and very much on its way towards the right and that THE FAN -- WHICH COST $400! -- ISN'T KICKING ON!

So now what am I to do? If I call the place tomorrow and speak with the manager about this incompetent mechanic, I risk having the guy do some crap thing to my bike when no one is looking!

I feel that they charged me way, way too much for the few things they did for my KLR, but now I'm supposed to go back there and have to go through the hassle of taking a bus to and fro again in order for my bike to be serviced the way it should have been the first time! I lost my job (due to "outsourcing") and so money is very tight, yet I'm at the mercy of what these people decide to do to make it right, which somehow leads me to believe that their idea of making it right won't be the same as mine.

What now? Any suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks!

P.S. The chain and sprocket doesn't look that bad (to me), though there are some places in the chain that the guy said is "warped;" so maybe it really is as bad as he says, not sure. But still, why on earth would they not ask me about taking care of it so I could have my bike in great shape for the summer (instead of now having to worry about it!)?

See less See more
#2 ·
:(:(:(, I hate to hear about these things:(. What exactly was the stealership suposed to be doing to your bike? I wish you would have read up on these stealers before letting them touch your bike. I think it would help you a lot if you could make it to a tech. day where people could teach/help you work on your own bike the right way. I dont know how to get your money back from what the stealers did not do but from now on I think everyone here can keep from this happening again:).

#9 ·
Thanks for your reply!

The main thing I wanted them to do was the 12,000 mile service job the manual says to do; mainly check the valves for adjustment. (The guy told me three of them were off a bit.)

I'll admit that my philosophy of "treat others right and they'll do the same" hasn't always worked out. I once paid a guy up front to paint a 700 Nighthawk for me thinking he'd do a spot-on-job because I displayed what I thought was trust and respect towards him by not withholding the dough until he was done. But he took the money and went and painted the bike an ugly battleship gray instead of a deep charcoal gray that I had wanted.

What can I say? I'm-a still living and still a-learning.:ashamed0001:

#3 ·
Find the local Kawasaki rep tell him what transpired with his dealer.
Ask him if he could reccomend a dealer that might be more customer friendly
Tell him how much you enjoy his product and you would like to keep buying from his company.
If you feel like it tell him you are on this blog with the rest of us air heads.
A few years ago I had the same problem with a YAMAHA out board motor and did the same thing , they gave me a new power head (100hp 4 stroke) approx 4000.00 and all I had to do is pay another dealer 500.00 to swap it out I was not asking for anything but to be treated like a valued customer doesn't ever hurt to ask but do it with tact

#10 ·
Thanks for the advice!

I am not sure where all this is going to lead, but your idea is certainly one I'll keep in mind. Around here, Reno, these bike dealerships that I've been involved with over the years, save for maybe two, have been pretty rotten. The Kaw dealership in town is dreadful (though some of his parts guys have been wonderful), which is why I've been taking my KLR to Carson City for work done. But now.....:(

I'm happy to hear things worked out well with you and your Yammie!:)

#4 ·
I can't give you advice specific to your problem beyond what was already suggested, but working myself at a job where I deal with customers all day, I'll give you this advice in dealing with them:
* Be forceful, but don't loose your cool. You want the manager, the head guy or any of the mechanics on YOUR side, which they won't be if you have a tantrum. On the other hand, if they say "that's that" and you disagree - use as much logic as possible (facts) and explain that "that" isn't enough. It's a balancing act.
* Be clear as to what you expect them to do (ie. I came in to have the fan installed. It did not work yesterday. Please look at it again and make sure that everything is as it should be for it to work properly). NEVER be passive aggressive or suggest things (I don't think your tech installed it correctly).
* Be positive. If they see that you're happy, they'll be encouraged that you're a satisfied customer, a customer for life, and they're more apt to do a little more for you.

Good luck.

#11 ·
Thanks Much!

I can't say I disagree with your advice. I'm not much for shouting matches myself. The only thing is I really don't even want this fellow looking at my bike much less working on it again. After yesterday's (mild) exchange, I think he'll for sure cop an attitude because he'll feel humiliated in front of his fellow workers there for having blown the job. Thus I would be concerned that he would do bad things, like over-torquing bolts or doing other evil things and then returning me my bike with a big grin and say, "Everything's in good shape now."

#5 ·
There is a wire that is supposed to be connected to the relay/sensor on the lower tank of the radiator.

If the wire is connected:
-remove the wire and ground it (press the end) to one of the mounting bolts. The fan should start (watch your fingers).
--if it does not start the fan can be bad.
--if the fan does not start...

If the wire is not connected:
-find the wire and ground it (press the end) to one of the mounting bolts. The fan should start (watch your fingers).
--if the fan starts, carefully connect it to the relay/sensor.
--if the fan does not start...

...contact the dealership and ask them what they are going to do. do NOT let them talk you into delivering yourself. they need to send someone to your home and pick up the motorcycle. after they agree, you should explain to them that the engine might have been damaged due to overheating in traffic.

As what has already been suggested and contact your Kawasaki West Coast Representative. Not that you would but do NOT get in this guys face since he is your link/bridge to satisfaction. They are usually very interesting persons. I have met two representatives. One was Korean the other was British.

#12 ·
Thanks for taking the time!

I'm afraid they'd never agree to picking the bike up, but I could be wrong. But even if they would, I don't like the idea of my bike being strapped down as I once took it to another outfit and they did some work and when I rode it away I quickly saw that the forks were all twisted!

It's interesting that some of you suggest actually contacting a Kaw rep. Hmm I hope it doesn't come to that but if it does, maybe it'll work-out all right in the end.

#6 · (Edited)
You said you were offered the old parts.

I assume this population includes the old fan motor.

Does the old fan motor spin when you apply 12 VDC to its terminals? If so, you did not need a $ 400 replacement at all.

If you Google "KLR650 wiring diagram," you'll see the fan relay terminal is connected to the FAN SWITCH (a thermal switch that closes at a coolant temperature areound 200 degrees F., called by others a "sensor," or "relay," but to me is a thermal switch).

Now, discussion becomes complicated. The TEMPERATURE SENDER in the cylinder head controls the position of the TEMPERATURE NEEDLE on your TEMPERATURE GAUGE; NOT the fan switch (called by some the "sensor," or "relay") at the bottom right of your radiator.

An AIR POCKET in your radiator may prevent adequate coolant circulation at idle, causing the TEMPERATURE SENDER in the cylinder head to register a high temperature, while the coolant in the bottom of your radiator had not reached sufficently high temperature to close the FAN SWITCH, activating the FAN RELAY, and turning on your FAN.

The cure for an air pocket in the cooing system is BURPING; one burps the cooling system by operating the engine with the radiator cap OFF 'til the coolant temperature rises sufficiently high so that the THERMOSTAT opens, circulating the coolant. An air bubble will exit the open radiator neck at that time, the RADIATOR CAP can be reinstalled, and the COOLANT RESERVOIR filled to the proper level.

The above paragraph describes the burping procedure, eliminating air pockets that may result in a high temperature gauge reading (from the TEMPERATURE SENDER in the cyclinder head as mentioned) without sufficient coolant temperature to close the FAN SWITCH at the bottom right of your radiator (again, some refer to the thermal fan switch as a "sensor," or "relay"), activating the fan realy and in turn the fan motor.

I've tried to explain, the TEMPERATURE GAUGE and the COOLING FAN actuation circuits are SEPARATE; the FAN SWITCH doesn't know or care what your TEMPERATURE GAUGE says; the fan switch, simple thermal switch that it is, only knows whether the coolant surrounding itself is high enough for it to close, providing a GROUND to the FAN RELAY and actuating the fan . . .

Your mechanic should know these basic functions, how to configure and to test and verify your motorcycle's roadworthiness.

I think you need an ethical, knowledgeable person (professional mechanic or neo-competent gear-head) to examine your bike, and, favoring your best interests, advise you.

I suspect your cooling fan's o.k.; that any problem is the result of electrical malfunction (e.g., fan fuse, fan switch, fan relay or associated wiring), or perhaps of air pockets in the coolant.

I further suspect the mechanic seeks to rip you off on chain and sprockets; suggesting you'll trash your crank bearings as a consequence of worn chain-and-sprockets appears false and irresponsible to me.

While the Service Manuals provide service limits for many components (I'd hope you have a copy of KLR600 and KLR650 Kawasaki service manuals, or a Clymer), you're on a steeply-sloped learning curve regarding maintenance of your KLR650.

I have serious doubts regarding the competence and ethics of the mechanic and shop with whom you're dealing.

Your descriptions of your interaction with the dealership appear specific enough; I think you can name the dealership without fear of libel or defamation litigation.

Reviewing, for your fan to work, the fan motor must be sound (TomatoCity tells you how to test that; ground the lead to the FAN SWITCH and see if the fan spins; test will work withether ignition switch is ON or OFF). For the fan to cool the engine properly, the FAN SWITCH (yeah, they call it the "sensor," or "relay") must CLOSE at around 200 degrees F.; the Service Manual tells how to test this, if necessary. The FAN FUSE must have continutity (easily tested with a multimeter). And, the FAN RELAY must close its contacts, when its control terminal receives a GROUND from the FAN SWITCH (yeah, the famous little gizmo mounted in the lower right of your radiator). Finally, the coolant system must be free of air pockets (the BURPING procedure mentioned above) for the cooling system to operate properly; burping affects operation most critically at idle; at higher rpm, sufficient circulation may be possible, even with air pockets present.

My overall suggestion: Cut your losses, find competent help and advice.

Good luck!

-----------------------------

CAVEAT: The functions and procedures mentioned in this post reflect my own perceptions and opinions; corrections and clarifications welcomed!

--------------------------------

Just thought of something that might help explain the distinct separateness from the temperature gauge and the fan switch:

The TEMPERATURE GAUGE receives an electrical signal from the TEMPERATURE SENDER in the cylinder head; the signal is proportional to the CYLINDER HEAD TEMPERATURE, without regard to coolant . . . the cylinder head temperature will register, even if no coolant whatsoever is in the radiator.

The FAN SWITCH is open, no contact, unless the coolant surrounding it approaches 200 degrees F.; at that point, the switch CLOSES and reflects a low-resistance contact with chassis ground. If, for example, there is no coolant in the radiator, the temperature gauge may be well into the red zone; however, without the coolant to transfer sufficiently high temperature to the fan switch to cause the switch to close, the fan switch will remain open and the fan will not operate (despite extremely high cylinder head temperature).

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE ONLY; DO NOT operate your engine without coolant!

My point: The temperature sender and temperature gauge, when isolated, work independently of the fan switch/fan relay/fan fuse/fan motor. With proper coolant quantity and circulation, a relationship can be inferred, but--no direct relationship exists between the two circuits, when analyzed separately.

TEMPERATURE SENDER in cylinder head: Wire goes to TEMPERATURE GAUGE.

FAN SWITCH in lower right of radiator: Wire goes to FAN RELAY.

#14 ·
Wow, I owe you a dinner at your choice of restaurants here in Reno if you ever make it this way, thanks!!

I didn't take the parts with me, though now I wished I had. My thinking was that if they voluntarily offered the parts as they did then likely they did things right ... and I could get on with my life.

At the moment I'm thinking that I'll in a few minutes head out the door and go to this other franchise that's owned by these same people and which is very near me and just "nicely" ask a mechanic (there) to see what he thinks about the chain and sprocket. I'll initially keep it to myself about what happened yesterday at their other place in Carson City, just so he doesn't "play it safe" and automatically tell me that the other guy was right.

I'm also thinking that if I can delicately broach with this fellow I'm about to speak with in a few minutes the subject of what transpired yesterday, I would like to see if I can leave my bike with them (though they don't sell Kaws) and have them deal with the fan motor situation. I know that's kinda whoosy on my part (as you're clearly a man that's fearless with tackling anything and everything mechanical), but I've got a million other things I need to get done around here ... and, too, since I paid out the nose for what was supposed to have been taken care, I'd prefer to see if they'll finish doing the job.

I thank you profusely, sir, for taking the time and, too, I wasn't joking about the dinner treat ... and that offer extends to everyone else on this thread that was generous enough to have taken the time to offer comments and suggestions to help this old boy out!!!:character00286:

#7 ·
$1500....YIKES.
That's unbelievable.
Did you get a list of things they did? For $1500 I would definately be looking at the list and checking everything out.
I hate to say it but never go into a dealer (or any mechanic) and just say "fix everything that you can, money is no object". You really should have a plan when you address them. "Here is whats wrong, here is what I would like you to do, if you see anything else that needs attention, let me know". I know thats a hard thing to do if you have limited knowledge of the bike. Research, research, research before you drop the bike off.

#8 ·
Ouch...Stories like this make me read and learn as much as possible about the ins and outs of stuff I own. Reading manuals and instructions is boring ( I once read the entire Machinist Handbook V23)...:46:but sometimes necessary...and sometimes read two or three times until I fully understand it (RIBZ for instance, Revised Improved Battelsight Zero).

On a plus note, I am pleased to see the great responses from members of this board; all around great help and advice. I hope to stick around and learn much about the workings of a new-to-me 06 with 4500mi...

#17 ·
Yup; you're not kidding about these folks being helpful as all get-out!:)

Your comments about reading instruction manuals the way you do reminds me of Robert M. Pirsig saying in his great (pink book from the '70s) "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" how he'd once spent a week studying a schematic of some mechanical device (of which I forget it was) until he understood it thoroughly. I found that he would do that as a rather curious thing as it was something he did just for the heck of it, and not because he had to repair whatever it was because he didn't even have it (whatever it was). He just did it purely for the sake of learning!:28:

#16 ·
My heart would break if you pay these guys $ 100 per shop hour to change your sprockets and chain (if, indeed, they need replacing).

You can do it yourself; or better, get a shade-tree motorcycle mechanic buddy to help you.

You can't go far wrong; make sure chain tension is slack enough, and that the axle is lined up on corresponding numbers on each side (you'll see the numbers and index marks stamped where the axle and axle nut are located on the rear fork) . . .

#18 ·
sorry you got screwed. currently i feel the same with my BMW. i'm just getting into the swing of treating it like a broke down mule. what ever you do make sure your next $30 goes to a clymer manual. between that and this form you will be golden. although my experience is limited, there is a wealth of information (through the members) here. don't be afraid to rip into the bike as much as you can, then ask for help. it will come, and you will feel great about being able to DIY. kinda like scouts around here; see one, do one, teach one. you will learn to love this bike because it is so easy to work on and you know every inch of it, and it feels like a part of you. welcome aboard, sorry you had a rough start.
now, post some pics of your sprocket and chain so we can take a look.

#21 ·
I hear you on that one. This makes me sad to call myself a tech. I can't believe that people like that are allowed to work on motorcycles. I couldn't imagine taking advantage of people like that. Maybe I just love motorcycles too much but I can't stand charging people an arm and a leg to ride one. But karma is a bitch and they will get theirs in the end.

#20 ·
The side of this that bothers me the most is there is plenty of good KLR info on the net (not just this site but others as well) to do just about anything to the bike with little or no mechanical experience. $1500 wouldve bought every tool needed to do pretty much anything to the bike, short of machining or manufacturing your own parts.

#22 ·
Alvin,

I am going to talk straight. I believe you got screwed badly. You know this, but you are likely hoping that someone will say otherwise. No one likes to be taken advantage of. If you are not willing to push back on these guys, walk away and never spend another cent with them. Give the advertising they do not want as far and wide as you can. It is no shame coming into this not knowing a doohickey from a thermo-bob from a JIT screwdriver. I do not know everything about anything. I know a lot about a few things, and i know a little about a lot of things. You have been screwed once. Learn from it. I will say shame on you if you let it happen again. Good luck my friend.

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks Much!

I talked to the guy that wrote the work order the other day and he said he felt bad and that I need to bring it back in and have the guy take care of it. I told him that I would prefer to not have the guy look at my bike much less work it, and that the guy that did the doohicky a while back was the one I'd prefer as he did good work. This current dude that's going to work on my bike is someone I don't trust just because he copped a bit of an attitude when I asked him to loosen my chain. So when I bring it in he'll be angry because he's going to feel embarrassed about me bringing it back with a problem due to his crap work. But I have no choice but to do the whole crap routine again of walking a mile and waiting for a bus and shelling out $4 and then walk another mile or two to the shop (after getting off the bus) and HOPE LIKE H*LL that I can ride it out of there and not have another issue come up.

All in all I don't like it but considering the unimaginable evil and crap that's going on in the world on so many levels and sparing no one, even little kids, I'll just suck it up and put it in perspective and get on with life.

#23 ·
This is a bad deal. I think you've got a lot of good advice here,, especially contacting a Kawasaki rep and going over with them what happened at the shop. I especially appreciate the advice offered from "the other side" about dealing with the actual folks at the shop. I've been in this situation a couple of times with things other than motorcycles and I didn't fare too well, even though I did my homework and used an approach that balanced tact and reason. It just really pisses you off even more when it becomes clear that they're in the wrong, but there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about it except learn from it and move on. That's a lot of money, though.

If all fails and it doesn't work out, you can gain a little personal satisfaction (and maybe even warn and help others) by going online to one of those places where you can customize your own stickers/bumperstickers and get one that says something like:

"Joe Smith Kawasaki Ripped Me Off On Repairs: Ask Me About It." Put it in a prominent location on your KLR and keep riding, especially if you can attend some events where other riders will be seeing it. Tell your tale and tell the truth. Something like this will get a lot more attention: you wouldn't just go up to a stranger and start telling your tale, but if they notice that sticker, they might ask, especially if they deal with, or are thinking of dealing with, that shop.

If you really want to get some at least temporary satisfaction, do what a friend of mine did after this happened with his car. He was the first person I've seen do the bumper sticker thing.

He actually drove back to the dealership and parked right by the front door with a similar sticker in the back window of his car. He went inside and pretended he was there to buy a new car and was in the place for an hour before some other customer pointed out the sticker to one of the employees and they finally figured out it was his car and ran him off after threatening to sue him for libel. He had already researched that: they wouldn't win.

Anyway, though, I think the responses you've received to this post are mute testimony to the caliber of the people who use this site: there are some good people here. I'm glad you posted this. Better to share it than remain in the dark: maybe your tale will do other people some good.

All KLR riders aren't the same: some just don't have the inclination to work on their own machine for whatever reason that is and I don't fault them. Some people, like me, are kind of in-between: sometimes it's enjoyable and sometimes it's just a necessary evil.

If it were just me out in my garage with a gravel floor, a tarp under the bike so I don't lose little parts and a Clymer's manual to depend on, there are some things I wouldn't be too comfortable doing, but I've learned that no matter what you're doing, somebody here has been there and done that, most likely more than once.

It's sometimes kind of hard to communicate with just words, but it seems like all the real "gurus" here have a way with them, plus most of them have the ability to share photos or schematics/diagrams specific to what you're working on. Hell, a lot of them are even willing to share special tools as long as you promise to send them back when you're done or even come to your house and help you on their time off.

What more can you say? There's really truly nothing you can't do to your KLR yourself short of things that involve machining and even if it comes down to that, somebody here would point you in the right direction or offer to do the machining if you send the parts to them.

I'm no master KLR mechanic, but I can offer some basic advice if and when you decide to work on your KLR yourself. I think these "rules" apply to just about everything you work on yourself.

-Have a manual on hand like Clymer's and be familiar with what you're doing before you even start. The more references you have, the better, even if they seem to contradict each other.

-Allow yourself plenty of time: if you feel rushed, something's going to go wrong.

-As best you can, have a clean, organized, well-lit place to work.

-Make sure you have all the tools you need and make sure they're of good quality.

-Before you even start, post a thread here about what you intend to do and see if anybody can offer any advice/tips from experience.

-Take your time and be methodical about what you're doing.

-If you reach a sticking point, walk away from what you're doing and seek advice.

-If a torque is specified for a fastener, use a torque wrench.

-Again, above all, take your time and try to devote long periods of it to what your'e doing. If you try to do something 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there "whenever you have the time" and you're thinking about whatever else it is you "should" be doing instead of what you're doing at the time, that's not good.

Maybe this isn't something you intend to start doing and you really don't need this advice, but if it is, I hope it helps a little. I'm not bad-mouthing all motorcycle mechanics (I really hate the word "tech," it's been bastardized into about every job title you can think of: I think the word "mechanic" is much more respectful and I respect a true, good mechanic) but chances are the one who's working on your bike doesn't really know much more what he's doing than you would and it's a pretty good bet he doesn't appreciate your investment in the bike or worry about the long-term outcome as long as he can get the work done and get your bike pushed out the door.

If you can't tell, I have an intense dislike (bordering on hatred) for dishonest shops. I can deal with inexperience if a mistake is made (they learn by doing, after all) and a senior mechanic makes it right in the end, but outright dishonest acts provoke in me a reaction that decorum prevents me from fully describing here.

Unfortunately, these people have been around since vehicles were invented and people started depending on them and they'll always be around.

Good luck to you in your future endeavours and while I appreciate you telling your tale, you owe me a co-pay for another refill of my Lisinopril blood pressure meds because I was gobbling them like Tic-Tacs while reading this thread.

#25 ·
I thank you for all that, my Friend!

The bumper sticker would not be up my alley just because I don't care to worry about getting 'em all worked up and then possibly vandalizing my bike when they see it parked at the grocery store or some other place.

I can't back up the clock, but I hope if nothing else this unpleasant saga of mine will result with solidifying in all of our minds the value of working on one's own bike and to have as little as possible to do with these motorcycle mechanics that get brownie points with their bosses if they can figure out ways to suck as much dough out of a person as possible. (At least that's how I suspect some operate.)

Right now I'm listening to Coast to Coast and they've got some fear-monger going on and on about the country going down and how everyone needs to shell-out $29 to gain access to his website and learn which countries he's researched for one to flee to as soon as possible. It just seems to never end, this bad vibe that's going on all around the country.

Real sorry about your meds being depleted on account of my little whine in the sun. My diabetes meds are about gone and so I may well be on my way to that big KLR in the sky soon, so don't feel alone. Anyway, let's all have a great KLR summer despite some of these little negative things!:11a::35a:

#26 ·
Yeah, the bumper sticker idea is more for the folks who like to "live on the edge," I guess. I can't say as I'd do it, but have to admit I admired him for doing so.

Good luck on your return trip to the dealer. I think we all appreciate your attitude about putting it into perspective and I always try to recall the mantra of "no matter how bad things are going for you, they're a lot worse for somebody else." My hat is off to you for that.

I agree that it's good you posted your tale here, not only to "vent" but to, as you said, hopefully make people aware of the value of working on their own machines.

#32 ·
"

no matter how bad things are going for you, they're a lot worse for somebody else." My hat is off to you for that.

I have a photo taken from a newspaper showing a cute Japanese girl standing in a mountain of rubble with a blanket around her as she surveys the mess and destruction that the recent tsunami caused there. Every now and then I look at it and tell myself how lucky I am.:35a:

#29 ·
You posted initially about the clutch jerking. There was not a thing in the world wrong with it. My brand new 2010 will do it consistently when cold and occasionally when warm. It is more prominent than the other bikes I have had, but is about the same as a Bultaco that I used to ride on a friends farm. If we give the mechanic the benefit of the doubt, he is not used to bikes doing this. This means that he is not a very experienced mechanic. Some guys will lie rather than admit that they do not know or that they screwed up.

#35 ·
My bike was still warm having just gone 30-plus miles, so maybe it had a problem. In my heart, however, I don't think there was a thing wrong with it. They handed me the plates and asked if I could detect how burnt they were. I didn't notice any significant burnt oder to 'em, though for all I know maybe they were.

Anyway, unless this guy screws up again or cops an attitude, it looks like it's all pretty much water under the bridge. I hope so.:33a:

#31 ·
I hate stories like this too. I'm lucky to have a dealer whose head mechanic is on his second KLR which he has 60K miles on. He commutes 100 miles a day on it. Three of us have bought KLR's from the same dealer because of him...
A friend had a similar experience with a Yamaha dealer, who charged something like 12 hundred dollars for the FIRST tune-up. It was so badly mistuned that flames came out one exhaust. The dealer explained(?) that the mechanic had never worked on that particular model before..so it took him longer. Eventually--with the threats of a lawsuit and the arrival of a travelling Yamaha rep with a portable exhaust gas analyzer--he was able to the bike corrected and his money back. He sold the bike shortly after, and has repeatedly told his story...and when he bought a second and third bike it was from another dealer.

Mac

#37 ·
I hate stories like this too. I'm lucky to have a dealer whose head mechanic is on his second KLR which he has 60K miles on. He commutes 100 miles a day on it. Three of us have bought KLR's from the same dealer because of him...
A friend had a similar experience with a Yamaha dealer, who charged something like 12 hundred dollars for the FIRST tune-up. It was so badly mistuned that flames came out one exhaust. The dealer explained(?) that the mechanic had never worked on that particular model before..so it took him longer. Eventually--with the threats of a lawsuit and the arrival of a travelling Yamaha rep with a portable exhaust gas analyzer--he was able to the bike corrected and his money back. He sold the bike shortly after, and has repeatedly told his story...and when he bought a second and third bike it was from another dealer.

I've been toying with the idea of donating it to the U.S. Forestry Service just because I don't like being around something or someone that has bad vibes associated with it. I once gave up a job due to believing a person that told me she'd see to it that I'd be put up in a place and be able to work on a screenplay if I did some favors for her in return. But once my life was in her hands the "deal" soon became something I didn't count on and so I ended up just throwing my screenplay in the trash when the nightmare finally ran its course. There's just something I don't like about bad vibes brought on by lies, half-truths, BS, stress and anger.:character00271:

#38 ·
Yep, my bike does it at times when warm too.

As far as the bad vibe thing...you bought a klr, you spent $1500+ , now you are going to donate it to a government agency.....when the dealer is what you should have bad vibes about. You trashed creative work when the issue was with the person opposite you.... I think perhaps you need to think of causality.

If you want to give the bike away, I will take it. I am serious about that.

I have only been here a bit over a month, so I may be stepping on toes. Yet, I am going to talk straight. If we can't have that, then we have issues.

You had an issue with a dealership

You are paranoid about someone out to sabotage your bike. It is under warranty...yes? Do you think the dealership wants more free work?

You have had numerous people empathize with your plight.

You have a wealth of resources here.

You can stand up for yourself or not with that dealer. I would take it to the limit. If the mechanic gets irate and acts to get physical, let him push you or put his finger in your face. Call the cops and file a complaint. Have his ass and have that dealership refunding the $1500 and getting that bike right just to avoid a lawsuit. Do have someone with you for witnessing purposes.

Above all, stop being a victim. I get the sense that you are somehow a victim often.

Alvin, I am not meaning to be cruel. I am not trying to make you feel unwelcome here. I am trying to make you look at this whole thing in a new light. I know what it is to have been overly anti-confrontational. It gets you no where at all.

It may be none of my business, except you have posted all of this on a public forum. Which makes it the business of anyone that decides to jump in.

You have some choices to make. They are:
1)keep the bike, donate the bike, sell the bike
2)accept the dealer screwing or not
3)start attributing the bad vibes to the cause or continuing to defy reality.
4)researching before breaking out your wallet or not
5)learning to do some of your own wrenching or not.
6)take this post badly or as it is intended...as trying to help by being honest.

I hope there is no hard feelings..there are none for my part.

#39 ·
Efigalaxy makes some very valid points. We all know you have been taken for a ride by a possibly shady dealership. I know that you knew it even before you posted this thread. We have all sympathized with your situation. It is a crappy one, but it's not the bikes fault. So getting rid of it shouldn't even be an option. The way I see it is you got 2 choices. Either feel sorry for yourself about all that has happened and do nothing and complain forever. Or you can try and work with the dealership. Maybe get some of your money back. Let them fix it and try to make it right. Who knows. The person working on your bike could have been the owner/managers son or something with no real motorcycle training to speak of. Everyone makes mistakes but at least give them a chance to fix it. Then if you still are not satisfied just don't go back there again and consider it a lesson learned. Beyond that no one on here can do much to help you. Worse comes to worse contact kawi about this dealership and make them aware of the situation. But 9 times out of 10 if you are a semi reasonable human being then you will be able to work something out with the dealership. I understand being frustrated but don't get irate and keep your head aboutyou. It will get you farther than screaming and making a scene. Hope it will work out for you

#40 · (Edited)
Despite the well-meant revenge scenarios offered, AlvinTostig, my advice:

EAT the disagreeable consequences you suffered; CUT your losses, and MOVE ON.

You were vulnerable to predation from:

1. Ignorance of motorcycle maintenance and repair considerations; and, devoid of competent knowledgeable advice.

2. Unwarranted trust in your "professional care-giver," i.e., your order to him to; "Fix anything you observe wanting repair or adjustment."

You've paid you tuition; now--WHAT LESSONS MIGHT YOU LEARN FROM YOUR EXPERINCE?

HOW WILL YOU PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FUTURE ("Groundhog Day") RECURRENCE?

Avoiding "negative-vibe" situations and encounters sound therapeutically valid, but . . . petulantly jettisoning your bike does not seem to me a mature way to execute this initiative.

Instead, you might educate yourself, and engage some sound counsel. Be specific regarding professional services you order (not, as in ordering a hamburger, ask for, 'the works"), with PROTECTIONS: e.g., "Do no further repairs and maintenance without deliberate and specific approval."

So, you're a victim, no doubt. Were you COMPLICIT to any degree in your victimhood? What do you think?

Regardless; want to be a PROFESSIONAL VICTIM? Play a perpetural game of, "Ain't it awful?"

The choice is yours; you can take charge of your life to some extent; or--remain at the mercy of predators.

Your call.

Best wishes!

#41 ·
AlvinTostig, I don't mean to come off as a self-righteous, arrogant, judgmental jerk presuming to give you character guidance!

Believe, me, I, and, I think, many others, have "been there, done that" in your situation.

Financial adviser Dave Ramsey often refers to what he calls, "SUPID TAX." This nomenclature labels expenses incurred by less-than-knowlegeable, or unwise decisions.

I've paid, and continut to pay, almost daily, my own fair share of STUPID TAX.

The intent of my comments remains to help you avoid such expenditures in the future.

Best wishes!

#42 ·
You guys have me curious if my fan works now.

I can't find it - How do I easily test my fan to make sure it comes on?

Thanks!

#43 ·
Apply 12v to the leads coming off the fan. Where these may be that you may get to them EASILY I am not sure. This will tell you if the fan motor is good. It will not let you know if the switch is good. I suggest maybe starting it and letting it sit until the gauge is up near the upper end of it's range. Have a good light and peek in there to see if it is going. Peek in there by getting down on your knees on the left side of the bike and craning your head up to look in there. The fan is about the size of some larger computer fans I have seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.