Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 KLR650. I know that they are made for dirt so there is no need to keep them looking shining. But, since it's new to me, I'd like to keep it looking clean as long as I can.

What is the best way to wash it and make it look all new? Are there certain products that would work best?

Thanks

·
Threadjacker
6,756 Posts
The soap made for washing cars works well. If I have some around I'll use that. Otherwise I use dish soap. And Simple Green works really well for washing and getting the crap off. If you buy the SG concentrate it goes a long way.

I keep my bike pretty clean, but not obsessively (I don't care if my rims are shiny). It's amazing what some simple green, soap, a sponge, and 20 minutes with the hose will do. If you want it REALLY clean, then you'll need some brushes and elbow grease. Clean enough is a personal thing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just add the simple green to the soapy water? Or stray it directly on the bike?
Is the simple green okay to put on the plastic (with the factory stickers) and seat?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Threadjacker
6,756 Posts
Yeah, if you dilute the SG you should be fine. You can dilute it to use as a wash (in place of soap). It also works really well sprayed directly on dirtier areas.

If I really want the bike clean I spray the grimy parts with SG. Let it sit. Get the bike wet. Suds it up with the diluted SG. Let it dry in the shade. SG is pretty safe for all parts of the bike and good for the environment (and you). My Dad was in the Navy. We practically brushed our teeth with Simple Green. ;)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have an '08 KLR650. I know that they are made for dirt so there is no need to keep them looking shining. But, since it's new to me, I'd like to keep it looking clean as long as I can.

What is the best way to wash it and make it look all new? Are there certain products that would work best?

Thanks

Wash? What is this wash you speak of?

I do wash mine every oil change (2K miles) just to see if anything fell off!

Try WD40 to clean the chain, not lube though! Ack! I don't want to start a chain lube thread, sorry resist the urge to reply. :60:

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Guess I'm old-school. I clean mine with a slowly running hose and a clean shop rag, t-shirt, etc. and blow dry on the highway. For the wheels and spokes, a dab of gas on a shop rag. I love to clean and detail the scooter, then go riding offroad. It always
seems to happen that way. LOL Spin the wheel in a muddy part of the trail or something that glops it right back up. Hehehehehehehe...........

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey all after you clean her get the leaf blower out and blow away. It dries the bike fast and keeps all the metal and plastic looking good. If you let the water sit on the bike it will start to oxidize the metal. It will start to look like a bike that has sat outside in the sun way to long. I use the leaf blower every time, before on my harleys and now on my klr it works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts