Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few deep creeks around here 2 feet or so deep maybe close to 3 feet at some times, i imagine stock a klr could just go into as deep as the stock air inlet that is under the seat , does anyone have any mods here to make it mor capable then that like say maybe up to midway on tank?

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
No.

You would need to add a "snorkle" to the air inlet and support it somehow. ....the problem is that when you get into water that deep, there is a good chance that you're going to crash and submarine the bike. Ever have to get a submerged bike running? I have....several times and it's not fun and very hard on the bike (had to rebuild the top end of one that got sand/silt in the engine).

Personally, I'd avoid water more than a couple of feet deep and I've been known to walk across a stream to see exactly how deep it is; I'd rather be wet than spend the next 3-4 hours trying to get a bike to run again.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha! as a matter infact my old 110 honda 3 wheeler i had to get water out plenty of times, floated down the river upside down one time without me on it. it was pretty easy tho just stand it up and pull the pull starter gently a few times to get it out. my truck on the other hand hydrolocked and bent the rods.

i think the klr would be a bit of a pain in the butt to remove the water from since no kick start and no way to easily access the plug to get it out. electric start is what kills when hydrolocked.would be a funky snorkel going into that weird oval opening on the airbox but i bet some crazy bugger done it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's almost perfect; The only improvement I would make is using a paddle rear tire to propel the raft. Oh, and a beer cooler ;-).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts