Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that splicing a t-piece into the carb breather tube and re-routing an extension up under the tank will improve the KLR's ability for water crossing. Has any done this and if so is there any down side? TIA :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
A T-mod is a must for crossing water without shuting down. Make sure when you install it that you don't have a slope in the line that can run into the carb. I ran mine back under the seat

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found out the hard way on a ride with Klrmike, found myself stalled in the middle of a river crossing. The next day with the T mod made all the way after a crash

·
Registered
650 Posts
WARNING !!! WARNING !!!... Hi-jack in progress.....

in 10yrs...Would West Virginia be a place I'd like to live? Take into account that I like to fish and hunt too. especially fish...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes there is plenty of fishing, hunting and camping we have some of the best small streams to fish. And lots of riding

·
Registered
603 Posts
lakes good for bass,mountain streams for trout,8+ hours to salt water.

If you live in the western part of the state you have the Ohio river for bass.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
The T or Y mod is different for Gen1 and Gen2 KLRs.

Gen1 - stock has a vent tube that runs down along the rear shock through the swingarm.
The T / Y mod should also extend the tube under the seat on top of the airbox.

Gen2 - stock has a vent tube that runs under the seat on top of the airbox.
The T / Y mod should also extend the tube down along the rear shock through the swingarm.

Ya think Kawasaki will figure out what a vent tube does and when?

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Uncle 'Mater,
(and everyone else w/ gen 2),
I took that clear pinkish line and just re-ran it up under the tank.
I'd have to flood the airbox before the vent tube clogged. LOL

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Uncle 'Mater,
(and everyone else w/ gen 2),
I took that clear pinkish line and just re-ran it up under the tank.
I'd have to flood the airbox before the vent tube clogged. LOL

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeap
All you would have to do is get moisture in the tube and it would run into the carburetor. If you don't want to make the fifteen cent and fifteen minute mod that is good with me and anyone else. We can stand on the side of the water crossing and watch you push your Gen2 to the land. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
OK, I'm likely to do something this silly, and I've already had it coughing twice now, so does anyone have a diagram of this T/Y mod? Being a newbie I've not yet removed the tank, but was considering doing so to check the spark plug soon. I could check it out and be creative on my own, but I thought I'd check to see if there's a standard configuration.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
OK, I'm likely to do something this silly, and I've already had it coughing twice now, so does anyone have a diagram of this T/Y mod? Being a newbie I've not yet removed the tank, but was considering doing so to check the spark plug soon. I could check it out and be creative on my own, but I thought I'd check to see if there's a standard configuration.

Steve
Steve what year is your KLR?

Either year you can get to the carburetor vent tube (clear/pink tube) from the left side. You will need to remove the plastic cover that covers the kickstand switch. Tight quarters but you can do it.

You need an additional piece of 1/4" (or is it 5/16"?) clear tubing which you can get at Home Depot ot the likes of. The "Y" fitting can be purchased at the same.

You cut the existing tubing near the carburetor and insert two of the three fittings where you made the cut. Then add an additional piece to either...
...Gen1: go up on top of the airbox.
...Gen2: down through the swingarm with the other tubes.

http://www.klr650.marknet.us/wpump.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
T mod

The T or Y mod is different for Gen1 and Gen2 KLRs.

Gen1 - stock has a vent tube that runs down along the rear shock through the swingarm.
The T / Y mod should also extend the tube under the seat on top of the airbox.

Gen2 - stock has a vent tube that runs under the seat on top of the airbox.
The T / Y mod should also extend the tube down along the rear shock through the swingarm.

Ya think Kawasaki will figure out what a vent tube does and when?
Is the tube you are refering to the clear one that vents the carb or the black one that vents the gas tank and is located at the rear of the tank and runs down past the shock into the swingarm?
Thanks
Intotheabis

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Got tons of tubing laying around from vac lines, to air hose stuff, to fuel lines, etc
in my junk box. With meltwater everywhere and downpours last two days I picked
up two tees from a friendly maintenance dude at work. (Yes, I'm THAT Cheap.)
It's my nite off and it'll get all spliced n' clamped in the next few after I change all
the clocks around the shanty. One down, the other staying up under the tank
aiming forward. With Indiana as flat as it is, there's ponding everywhere, and that's
ON the roads. LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have an 09, so i assume that would be a "generation 2", correct? how deep of water can one go through before stalling without doing this tmod?

how much deeper can you go with this mod? wouldn't one run into other mechanical problems if you are going through water up to the gas tank?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Not going to give you a depth answer though...you are pretty safe where the Gen2 vent tube is fitted but...for the little cost and effort...it is not worth the consideration.

It is not about depth. Splash, heavy rain, or washing yout KLR could cause water to get in the tube...then directly down to the carburetor...the path of least resistance and gravity.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts