Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy!

Probably a stupid question/observation, but figured I post it anyway because I spent a bit of time/consternation on it lol. I pressure washed my '05 KLR for the first time last week, toweled it dry and put it away. Then about 4 days later a friend came over and I started it up to show it off - and several ounces of water started dripping from the left side. It seemed to be sourced near the left foot peg. Anyhow i turned it off and came back a few days later and same thing, but less water this time. So I looked all over for a coolant leak while it was running and low and behold I did see a drop coming out of the drain hole on the water pump, but it did not seem like enough to cause what I saw and the ground, plus the stuff on the ground did not look like coolant. Just now I went and moved the bike all around without starting the motor and the water appeared again - so - im thinking some wash water must have gotten into the frame tubes or something? (e.g. it was the act of standing the bike upright, not the running of the engine that caused the water to appear) not sure. Its raining now so I can just take it for a spin to dry off.

Quasi related: I have the doohicky kit and was planning on doing that soon regardless, so I think Ill also replace the water pump seals at the same time, and maybe the cluctch springs while im in there. Anything else I should do while I have the covers off?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
There are a couple of holes in the farm above the footpegs where water can get into the frame from pressure washing. It can then drain (partially) out of a couple more holes down on the swing-arm axle tube. Of course, the swing arm axle tube is where water accumulates and rusts the swing-arm axle in place. You might want to look into that. If you have questions, ask, We have references and sources.

If you are going in to replace the balancer adjustment lever you will be going into the left side. The water pump and clutch are on the right side.

I recommend not removing the clutch cover unless there is something that really needs attention. If the pump seals are leaking profusely (a drop every now and again is normal) then, fine, you ought to fix that. The clutch springs will sack but if the clutch isn't slipping, and it usually doesn't, leave it be. The clutch itself is hell for stout and will last 200,000 miles or two KLR lifetimes, whichever is longer.

Reactions: lineman1234 and ADV

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
As Tom said, 2 or 3 drips every now or then from the coolant pump weep hole is totally Normal. That is why there is a weep hole & about 3/4 quart of unused coolant in the reservoir. To replenish those drips when the engine cools back down from Full Warmed.

Too many people create oil leaks attempting to fix 2 drips of coolant. Or worse yet, twist off the impeller shaft!
If it ever becomes a cupful per month or week then you can do something about it.

I'll suggest that most of your clear rinse water was simply in the air fins of the radiator, until vibration shook it out.

Reactions: ADV

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I will NOT attempt to replace the water pump seal now then - fantastic. It is just a very small weep but ill keep an eye on it. Ill inspect the swing arm - looks like it is due for lubrication anyhow.

This forum and its members is a fantastic resource/community. Much appreciated.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Ill inspect the swing arm - looks like it is due for lubrication anyhow.
It is actually more the large end of the lower rocker arm pivot that is most susceptible to being corroded by water thru those 2 stupid holes thru the backside of the hollow cross tubes of the lower frame.

Plug those 2 stupid holes after the lube job is Done, by either threading for 5mm screws with Loc-Tite or simply with a blob of RTV silicone.

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
Tom's farm has a lot of holes in it.

Water can stand on the engine in some divots.

sre
It's them damn prairie dogs what makes the holes.

This is a true story, 'cuz ya cain't make this shit up. The last time I serviced my swingarm axle and suspension pivot I decided to pump some grease into the cavity through the two holes and then seal up the holes. I figure that if there was sufficient grease in there that no water could accumulate and rust the axle.

I got the bits out, cleaned 'em up, greased 'em up, shoved 'em back in, torqued the nuts, torqued the engine mount, and then set about to pump some grease in there. Now, I reasoned that when the thing got full that it would start to come back out the hole in the farm that I was pumping into. I began pumping and, to pass the time, decided to think about other stuff while I pumped. Some time later I regained consciousness and thought that I must have put a whole lot of grease in there; far more than I ought to have. Then I noticed that there was grease coming out of the farm up by the lower sub-farm mount. Turns out that there is a hole up there on each side of the farm and there's a continuous path for grease to travel from the farm cavity around the swingarm axle right up the side farm member to a vent hole.

There's so damn much grease in there that everytime the weather turns hot I get a puddle of melted grease dribbling out around the swingarm. It's sort of a self-lubing feature now.

And that's how I come to find out my farm has a lot of holes in it.

Damn prairie dogs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom you had me laughing out loud reading that post! Damn prairie dogs!

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
We currently recommend that you plug those 2 stupid holes after a thorough re-greasing.

DO NOT install grease zerks into those two holes!

Reactions: ADV

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
The best solution for moles is to plumb the exhuast from a Briggs & Stratton into their hole, fill the tank, and let it run. The wee blinders just go to sleep and don't wake up. The exhaust will go to every corner of their burrow and the Sandman will visit them all.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Ever tried to use the KLR for that? I need a bunch of them to go to sleep at our RC flying field.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The best solution for moles is to plumb the exhuast from a Briggs & Stratton into their hole, fill the tank, and let it run. The wee blinders just go to sleep and don't wake up. The exhaust will go to every corner of their burrow and the Sandman will visit them all.
I’ve heard about that but it sounds kind of sketchy. Have you personally used that method?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ill inspect the swing arm - looks like it is due for lubrication anyhow.
sadly, the swingarm was due for lubrication before it made it off the assembly line.

I'm pretty sure the pay for the guys on the line is based on how little grease they can use, lol

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have holes in my farm from moles. Damn moles. Hard to kill them.
I can help with the moles problem/s. Have to tell the story first, as its how I learned the trick.
Once apon a time wile married to #2, with a nice house in nice development. Bought house other owner didn't care about the lawn. Fed, watered it grew, so came the nice red worms, and the grubs, then the moles. That's about the year/time came home to find recycling plastic containers dropped off to every place.
Saw neighbors in front yard, upside down in different places from time to time. Me being used to asking dumb questions, I asked about the upside down recycle boxes. He being college ejemakated, suprized me. He sais im catching moles.
I tried everything, poison, the mole trap with the spikes. He lifts the box, and there is a mouse trap, with p-nut butter on it, So I tried it. Works great, they don't like light, like p-nut butter, so put trap by path and cover and I would get 2 per day, if they just trip trap, need a rat trap because they need to go on a diet.
Now that reminds me of when we didn't have any ground hogs till we planted a raised bed garden.

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
I’ve heard about that but it sounds kind of sketchy. Have you personally used that method?
Yes, I have. I had a dedicated B&S with galvanized plumbing for the exhaust. It was used a couple of times on my property and then became a loaner.

I never had moles come back, nor do I believe that anyone else did.

The old B&S fell into disuse for lack of moles and I gave it to Juan the metal man.

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Ever tried to use the KLR for that? I need a bunch of them to go to sleep at our RC flying field.
DON'T use your KLR for that.

The exhaust header pipe will get too hot because of idling too long with no air movement around the exhaust system and that will probably cause 'drippy nipple syndrome' of the coolant reservoir & 'holey moley' air filter box.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
DON'T use your KLR for that.

The exhaust header pipe will get too hot because of idling too long with no air movement around the exhaust system and that will probably cause 'drippy nipple syndrome' of the coolant reservoir & 'holey moley' air filter box.
Right - I obviously did not think that through!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts