Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
867 Posts
I 'highly' recommend using a socket and a bolt/nut combo to fabricate a makeshift puller to extract the seal. It'll pull both seals out at once.

I can't remember exactly what size but a large socket fits over the edge of the seal perfectly 22-24mm IIRC.

Sorry I don't have any pictures from when I changed mine out. Got in a hurry and forgot to take some.

If you need further assistance I can pull out my old 2012 engine and snap some photos of what you need. I have a ton of old bolts/hardware laying around so it makes short work of it.

Best wishes

Reactions: banditcilik

· Administrator
4,625 Posts
Here is a good walk through courtesy of MarkNet. If you remove the clutch cover you have a good opportunity to clean the oil screen at the same time.

Attachments

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a good walk through courtesy of MarkNet. If you remove the clutch cover you have a good opportunity to clean the oil screen at the same time.
Thank you. I put together the crank case cover already. I have the news seals but wasn't sure how to replace them since the oil seal and mechanical seal have different diameter

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
Paul. Is this a method you have employed?
No, I have not used that method on a KLR650.
If one gouges the case bores during extraction of the old seals its gonna' get more expensive. Or if one tweaks the coolant pump shaft its gonna' get very complicated, time consuming & expensive.

But if it can be done in South Africa, it could be done most any where, couldn't it? ;)

I've wondered if it was done in the same shop as that terribly worn balancer chain with worn-out guides video was done?
But posted on YouTube by the owner of the bike being repaired?

· Administrator
4,625 Posts
No, I have not used that method on a KLR650.
If one gouges the case bores during extraction of the old seals its gonna' get more expensive. Or if one tweaks the coolant pump shaft its gonna' get very complicated, time consuming & expensive.
When I see that guy beating on a screwdriver to remove the seal I cringe. If you are in the bush somewhere away from civilization i can see it, in a shop not so much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts