Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
It is eventually black and slick. GTX and EMGO but I am considering Delo by the big jug.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like Oil of Olay, it keeps my KLRs innards younger looking. :wink:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Oil? Oil in a KLR? :shock:

Don't even start this stuff. Been riding too long to worry about oil now. Come on guys. Besides if it needed oil it would have stopped running by now, right? As long as it runs why worry? I wouldn't even know where to put the oil in if I wanted too. Oil in a kLR..... :roll:

8) what next... huh?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oil is kinda like beer. You don't buy it you just rent it and then get rid of it. Delo 400 buy the jug.

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
tomatocity is the only name that I recognize! Hi Tim.

Where did the rest of you disappear to? I love oil.
I wish my wife 'loved it', as much as I do!

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Amazing. Scientists and engineers at the American Petroleum Institute (API) develop the standards for Service Codes; Kawasaki engineers and designers specify the API Service Codes and viscosities appropriate for KLRs, and . . . somehow, they all MISSED the abundantly obvious fact: Only (fill in this blank) oil is adequate for KLR650s!

Think of all the KLR650s in operation, over 25 + years of production, around the world, and . . . the regrettably high percentage who are NOT using (fill in this blank, too; same as before) oil!

What a calamity; what a disaster. Roads and trails lettered with rusting KLR650 hulks, worldwide, just because riders chose not to use (yes, same designated righteous brand) oil.

Pity.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
hu·mor
ˈ(h)yo͞omər/Submit
noun
the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.
"his tales are full of humor"
synonyms: comedy, comical aspect, funny side, fun, amusement, funniness, hilarity, jocularity; More
a mood or state of mind.
"her good humor vanished"
synonyms: mood, temper, disposition, temperament, nature, state of mind, frame of mind; spirits
"his good humor was infectious"
verb
comply with the wishes of (someone) in order to keep them content, however unreasonable such wishes might be.
"she was always humoring him to prevent trouble"
synonyms: indulge, accommodate, pander to, cater to, yield to, give way to, give in to, go along with; More

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
I use Rotella but respect that others have the right to be wrong. :wink2:
I do respect the right for you and others to be 'Wrong'.
And, I will Defend your right to be so!

But, I would also 'dare' any of you to 'try' to minimize my LOW wear metals numbers with actual laboratory reports to back it up.
With any brand, weight, or type (petrol-syn) of oil that you choose to submit. 3000 or 5000 mile runs. Apples to Apples.

http://www.klrforum.com/klr-other-motorcycle-related-discussion/38962-laboratory-oil-analysis-thread.html
Post YOUR report, in this thread please.

Give me a reason to switch up to Kawasaki Semi-Synthetic oil or your oil.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I just don't ride enough miles for tests to be meaningful, Paul. My rides tend to be once or twice a week and not very far.

Your numbers are certainly impressive, especially given the oil restriction to the crank. That reminds me of a question I keep forgetting to ask: "Have your wear numbers improved, stayed the same, or degraded with the oiling modification?".

I don't recall but think you must have mentioned that....

I do respect the right for you and others to be 'Wrong'.
And, I will Defend your right to be so!

But, I would also 'dare' any of you to 'try' to minimize my LOW wear metals numbers with actual laboratory reports to back it up.
With any brand, weight, or type (petrol-syn) of oil that you choose to submit. 3000 or 5000 mile runs. Apples to Apples.

http://www.klrforum.com/klr-other-motorcycle-related-discussion/38962-laboratory-oil-analysis-thread.html
Post YOUR report, in this thread please.

Give me a reason to switch up to Kawasaki Semi-Synthetic oil or your oil.

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
Your numbers are certainly impressive, especially given the oil restriction to the crank. That reminds me of a question I keep forgetting to ask: "Have your wear numbers improved, stayed the same, or degraded with the oiling modification?".

I don't recall but think you must have mentioned that....
Thanks for asking Norm.
Definitely "Improved".
Comparing only the two 5000 mile runs it looks like the Aluminum and Iron are down some.

Recent report-------Past report----Universal Average/2,100 miles-
Aluminum--18------------22-----------------------27-----
Chromium---1-------------1------------------------1------
Iron---------30-----------32------------------------25-----
Copper------8-------------7------------------------22-----
Tin----------4--------------0------------------------1------

Silicon/Grit-9-------------11-----------------------10-----

The Tin is the only number which I question. But 'Kelly1005's last report jumped from 0 to 3 in a 2800 mile run.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
My rule with oil is simple; make sure you have enough of it inside the engine......every other consideration is a distant secondary concern......way, way distant.

#1: Make sure you have enough oil
#2: make sure you have enough oil
#3: make sure you have enough oil
#4: change the oil periodically
# 567: worry about the kind of oil to use.

;-)

Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts