Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back, I shared my discovery of the salt/vinegar weed killer. After using it for a month or so, reviews are mixed. It works, but I'm constantly out there spraying weeds. In small areas it might be okay, but for larger swaths of weeds and crabgrass, it's just not that effective.

Has anybody ever used one of those weed burners that you hook up to a 20-pound propane cylinder? I need to kill a lot of weeds in gravelled areas so I'm thinking a burner might be a good choice. Sure, they'll grow back, but I would think a good burning would keep them under control for at least a month or so and that's acceptable.

I don't have anything against herbicides, but they're ridiculously expensive and I'm always afraid of runoff from the driveway into my tomato plants and the wife's flowers.

I've had weed burners around in a few places I worked, but it seemed like they just sat in a corner and never got used for anything.

·
Administrator
3,610 Posts
Too bad you can't get your hands on some sodium chlorate. I wish I could. Used to make it and it killed weeds quick and for a long time. Only problem was I killed a few trees cause the stuff leached into the soil but at least the weeds were dead.

I have't used a weed burner so can't speak on results but the way I figure it if you don't get the root the weed grows back a week later. RoundUp is my herbicide of choice. Now I suppose I'll be flamed for supporting Monsanto.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Add one cup of Dawn dish detergent to one gallon of your current weed spray. Works like a miracle no more Round up!

·
Administrator
3,610 Posts
Geez if Dawn is doing that to weeds wonder what it's doing to the wife's hands.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Add one cup of Dawn dish detergent to one gallon of your current weed spray. Works like a miracle no more Round up!
A cup? What the hell. I'll give it a try. Still stuck on the weed burner idea, though. It seems like it would be more fun and gratifying to fry the weeds.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I recently bought one but haven't used it yet. I've been lazy with our weeds this year, so I need to do something!

·
Lifetime Member
2,486 Posts
The burner sounds kind of cool! I'd be interested to hear how it works as well, currently my weeds tend to get away from me, so on occasion I just set my weed eater from "stun" to "kill" and have at 'em! Would be nice to have something that last's longer though because they grow right back.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Received and tried out the $20 HF weed burner tonight. A success. Money well-spent. It made short work of the weeds and it's quite satisfying to fry them with a hellish, roaring tongue of fire.

I underestimated the "turbo boost" lever and the first time I squeezed it the ensuing blast was so powerful it blew the gravel away down to bare dirt in a fraction of a second.

I can see right now it will do double-duty as a charcoal starter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The last weed burner I bought was from a guy at a party when I was 20....but some how I think we're talking different weed.
On that - What the heck is a weed burner with trurbo boost?? Sounds delightfully violent!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
With planalps motivation I finally unboxed my HF burner and hooked it up to propane. Lit it up and started burning the weeds. Pushed the lever and holy cow, you would of thought the whole neighborhood could hear that blast. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pushed the lever and holy cow, you would of thought the whole neighborhood could hear that blast. LOL
I was surprised by how loud it was in afterburner mode. I really wasn't expecting that. That's a nice feature since the stalk/tube is relatively short. A light squeeze on the handle enabled me to blast fairly large areas without stooping over.

I've got 2 20-pound propane tanks. The full one will go on the grill and I'll use the partial, lighter tank to carry around with the weed burner.

Our driveway now looks like a UFO landing site, but next year I'll keep on top of unwanted growth while the weeds are still small.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The last weed burner I bought was from a guy at a party when I was 20....but some how I think we're talking different weed.
On that - What the heck is a weed burner with trurbo boost?? Sounds delightfully violent!
I would assume they all have this feature, but am not sure. It has a regular twist knob like a standard handheld propane torch, but also has a squeeze lever that increases the flow of fuel. I don't know if it increases it through the same orifice, or actuates another set.

It's a nice feature because the "afterburner" lever allows you to make quick work of weeds, but not using it allows you to get close to obstacles you don't want to combust while still being hot enough to kill the weeds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts