Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said i pulled about 80lbs off a stock 09.I did this afew years ago,and i have made a honest mistake.What i should of said was i have removed about 80lbs from a stock 09 WITH CRASH BARS.I had crash bars on it.Then i crash proofed it so i took the crash bars off,and said to myself my bike is lighter by X lbs now.I should of made this clear when i first posted it here,but i just didn't think.So sorry about that,i can't even remember what the crash bars weighed now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The front end of my klr after i put 2 small radiators on.When i did this i took the crash bars off.
Thanks Tom you gave me the idea how to do it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a big fan of having 2 radiators on a bike,that could end up spending a fair bit of time on it's side.The way i see it,if i do hole a radiator.I still have a chance of deleting it, from the cooling system and keep riding.That was the main reason for going with the 2nd radiator.The other reason was with the one big radiator you need crash bars that weigh alot.With 2 small radiators i could bin the crash bars.I am waiting to see what happens with these plastc tanks.I would like to get one to cover the side of the radiators.I used radiators off a klr600 had to make 2 small brackets.Very easy to do i had them on the bike in under 1 hour.But there is always a but,the wiring harness will need work.The wiring was a PITA i had shifted everything around when i took the fairing off.Guess where i put it all?So i had to redo all the wiring.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Wow! That is on the skinny side! Looks good. The wire running up the left fork, is that for a Vapor type speedo?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The muffler came off a dr250/350,i opened it up, and cleaned it out .I cut the collar off the klr muffler,and welded it onto the dr muffler.The dr muffler weighs 4lbs,and cost me under $30.I know most people spend big $$$ on pipes,& mufflers.But you don't have to,if you are happy to muck around abit.

·
Registered
663 Posts
That looks like the kind of bike that you would take anywhere…..

Love the pick with the guy in the back welding on the bike that is laying on its side……. LOL….Good stuff….

You guys seem like the kind of guys that I could show up at 10 o’clock at night with a VW bus, and tell you “I want to shoot this VW Bus into space” and you will stand there looking at it…. Scratch your head, scratch your butt….. And say, “HHHMMMMmmmm I think we can do that!!!!” and 19 hours of cutting and welding later and a VW bus would be heading to the moon….. I will bet 10 to 1 you grew up on a farm???
Jake

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gday Jake Thats me welding in the back ground,i didn't even notice that.I was going away for the weekend with a mate.While i was waiting for him,i was welding tabs on for a new airbox.You are right i grew up on 1800 acres at a place called Goulburn.Cheers Peter

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Awesome stuff, I love practical mods! Not to sidetrack your weight loss thread, but where do you put seat belt webbing in the tires, between the tire and tube or between the rim and tube?

Cheers,
Stew

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gday Stew webbing goes between the tyre and the tube.Get some webbing and try and stab it.You can ride over just about anything and not get a flat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The sub frame is off a klr600.I had to drill out the 2top mounts on the sub frame 2mm over.Then the part that might make a few of you cringe.I had to cut the bottom mounts off the frame.Just the outsige part of each mount,then weld plate onto the inside mount and drill it.I have a very bad pic of one of the mounts 1/2 done.I will load it u
p but it's hard to tell what it is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The seat is off a kx125.I don't like a wide seat on a bike that spends most of it's time on dirt roads and trails.I know it's abit crazy ,but that is what feels good to me.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Excellent work and ingenuity at its best incorporating a lot of good ideas. Thanks for sharing photos of this beast with us.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
OK I got to ask and I don't mean this condescendingly.

Why would you do this? Why not buy a Honda XR650, Suzuki DR650, KTM 690, etc.? You've basically turned it into an XR650 or DR650. The XR probably has better suspension the DR don't know. Both of them are lighter even after you've taken weight off the KLR. A KLR will never be a KTM performance wise so I won't go there.

Every body needs a hobby but I don't get buying the wrong bike for what you want to do and then hacking it.

Nice work and I like the out of the box thinking but I'm left with the question, why. Not that you have to justify what you've done, I'm just curious.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts