Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
8,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been having a conversation with Roberto in Italy who is working on his carb. His bike is an Italian Gen 1. He asked about an extra hole in his slide, so I asked him to send me a picture, as it sounded like it might be a LAMS hole.

But it isn't a LAMs hole, and it has me somewhat baffled. I wonder if anyone else has run across this. The pictures he sent me were a bit fuzzy, so we found some on the Italian e-bay site.

Here's Roberto's slide. He says the transfer hole (the one we would drill to 7/64") is between 3 and 3.5mm. He tells me that it came that way.

This is the slide for a KLXR.

This is the slide for a KLXC.

This is the slide for a KLR.

The transfer hole on Roberto's is larger than what we would drill, as we believe it would cause slide flutter to drill it out larger than 7/64". The additional hole on the KLXC and KLR make for a hole way larger than what we would consider feasible and the hole on the KLXR just looks friggin' huge.

I am not sure what else would be going on to accommodate these large holes and what the purpose of such large holes would be.

I'm off to look at the inside of a slide to see if there is any clue in the casting.

Any comments?

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
How about a picture/measurement of the holes in a "learner" slide, compared with a standard KLR650 slide? Anyone have, or able to provide, these research resources?

Somehow, I get the impression the extra/larger-diameter holes in the slide "de-tune" the engine to learner standards; not sure how . . .

·
Administrator
8,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damocles,

I can do that later; I’m mobile right now.

The LAMs holes are supposed to be up at the top of the slide, underneath the diaphragm. At least the ones I’ve seen (only pictures, though).

·
Administrator
8,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roberto is asking around Italy if anyone has any info. There’s not much in the way of resources nor many KLRs there.

·
Administrator
8,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are the LAMs holes. Photo credit to emsee at Horizons Unlimited, 2009.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Some one, Some where recently posted pics of a KLR250 slide with the bottom hole & the angled hole.

I've recently worked on Kawasaki Prairie 400 ATV's which had a secondary vacuum hole drilled into the Forward face of the slide, down low. I might suggest that once it lifted into the vertical bore it might slow the slide response time.

I'll suggest to neither plug them nor over-drill either of them.

·
Administrator
8,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that's where we're at. He will leave them alone because we don't understand what is different about these carburetors.

The specs for this bike are 31Kw and complies with an anti-pollution legislation 97/24 / EC Cap 5 Cap 9, Roberto says. That shouldn't be LAMS and I don't believe Italy has LAMS anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts