Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a weird sound coming from the front sprocket area when I changed my rear wheel, rear sprocket and chain. The sound isn't affecting how the bike runs (still rides like a champ) but it concerns me to go past 3rd gear because the sound gets louder from 1st - 2nd - 3rd (I don't want to hurt her). I took the front sprocket off and moved the chain away from the thread so just the nut was spinning and there was no noise. I loosened the wheel adjustments and experimented with the amount of slack on the chain... sound is still there. I was wondering if it could be an alignment issue with the rear sprocket to the front sprocket... As in, if you install the rear sprocket just one nut over (spinning the sprocket so the nut is in the spot next to it) the distance would be different. I took the old sprocket and placed it over the new one and began to spin one of them and match up the nut holes to see if the teeth match up and they only match up perfectly in 1 specific spot. Its hard to explain but I have a video of the sound that I will post soon. I noticed a lot of posts about weird sounds but its hard to compare the sounds when you don't know what they sound like.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,454 Posts
When did this noise start? When you replaced the chain? The front sprocket may or may not be contributing to the problem, but it’s good practice to replace both sprockets when you replace the chain. The front sprocket, being smaller in diameter and having fewer teeth, takes more of a beating than the rear.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I took the old sprocket and placed it over the new one and began to spin one of them and match up the nut holes to see if the teeth match up and they only match up perfectly in 1 specific spot.
PeteK, He did. (I think he did.)

Jutes101,
The KLR front sprockets are stepped on both sides. The THINNEST step faces the Engine. This places the front & rear sprockets into direct line. And helps keep the chain master link from touching the LH Lower sub-frame bolt (Which some people intstall TOO Long of bolt into, and it then causes tick, tick, tick with rider on board).

Next up, the drive chain needs to be LOOSE Enough to lift the lower run up with 1 finger to just touch the rear tip of the rubber underslider of the swing arm. Otherwise when the suspension compresses the chain pulls 'bow-string' tight.

Next, you may be simply hearing the 'ssshhhhhhh' of the very tacky assembly grease on the teeth of the new front sprocket. What brand of sprockets did you purchase? Some are more smoothly manufactured than others.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Paul, I may be mistaken, but I think that part of his posting was discussing his rear sprocket. Let’s see what his next message reveals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow i did not expect you guys to respond so quickly. Thank you all! The sound is coming from my front sprocket and the front sprocket is in good shape... I just realized that the rear sprocket i replaced wasn't the same brand (sunstar) as the front sprocket in which it was before (both front and rear were sunstar sprockets). I ended up ordering a rear sprocket and a 16 tooth front sprocket from sunstar to see if that could make the sound disappear. i did notice the 106 link new chain i got was super tight and hard to put on the bike. maybe the bike can take more than 106 links? I tested the bike out going 65 with the weird noise just because it rides so good and everything seems fine. Ive been blocking out the sound and just getting used to it by now haha. Thanks guys, lemme know if the front and back have to be the same brand because thats my assumption at the moment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like the front sprocket has something wrong with it almost like its not timed right. It's not startling, not grinding or screeching, just annoying humming when I enter 1st gear and when I get the wheel moving and the noise gets louder in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, can't really hear it in 5th cause the engine is louder than it. Im thinking that the rear sprocket isn't in cahoots with the front sprocket, almost like the front sprocket should match up perfectly on the chain but it doesn't because of the rear sprocket... so the top part of the chain may be tighter than the bottom part of the chain. because the rear is placing the chain maybe a millimeter too far for the front sprocket. I've been trying to send a video but It keeps turning out to be too long so I will try to make a shorter video and see if that works. thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It sounds like the front sprocket has something wrong with it almost like its not timed right. It's not startling, not grinding or screeching, just annoying humming when I enter 1st gear and when I get the wheel moving and the noise gets louder in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, can't really hear it in 5th cause the engine is louder than it. Im thinking that the rear sprocket isn't in cahoots with the front sprocket, almost like the front sprocket should match up perfectly on the chain but it doesn't because of the rear sprocket... so the top part of the chain may be tighter than the bottom part of the chain. because the rear is placing the chain maybe a millimeter too far for the front sprocket. I've been trying to send a video but It keeps turning out to be too long so I will try to make a shorter video and see if that works. thanks for the help guys.
Get the rear wheel off the ground with a rear stand. Sit down so you can sight down the chain. Spin the rear wheel, see if the chain is centered on the rear sprocket. Adjust until it is.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
... so the top part of the chain may be tighter than the bottom part of the chain. because the rear is placing the chain maybe a millimeter too far for the front sprocket.
So again I'll say, the drive chain must be left Loose Enough (with transmission in neutral) to be able to lift the Bottom run up to just touch the rear tip of the rubber under slider.

When you are on the throttle, there is NO Slack on the top run of the chain, because it is all at the bottom.
When you are on trailing throttle/engine braking, there is No Slack on the bottom run of the chain, because it is all at the top.

If your chain is adjusted TOO SNUGLY, when you set on the bike there will be No Slack on either the Top or the Bottom.
Re-adjust your rear axle/rear sprocket a couple of millimeters forward & try again.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Jutes101 you replaced the chain and rear sprocket but not the front sprocket?
As a chain wears its length increases and this causes a wear pattern on the sprockets.
The front sprocket wears faster than the rear. For the price of a front sprocket I would
replace it and see if the sound goes away. Reusing sprockets may have a negative
effect on the life of a new chain.

·
Registered
335 Posts
[QUOTE="pdwestman, post: 719150, member: 5285"

If your chain is adjusted TOO SNUGLY, when you set on the bike there will be No Slack on either the Top or the Bottom.
Re-adjust your rear axle/rear sprocket a couple of millimeters forward & try again.
[/QUOTE]

But...make sure it is properly aligned. Using the marks on the swing arm are just suggestions..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I noticed a weird sound coming from the front sprocket area when I changed my rear wheel, rear sprocket and chain. The sound isn't affecting how the bike runs (still rides like a champ) but it concerns me to go past 3rd gear because the sound gets louder from 1st - 2nd - 3rd (I don't want to hurt her). I took the front sprocket off and moved the chain away from the thread so just the nut was spinning and there was no noise. I loosened the wheel adjustments and experimented with the amount of slack on the chain... sound is still there. I was wondering if it could be an alignment issue with the rear sprocket to the front sprocket... As in, if you install the rear sprocket just one nut over (spinning the sprocket so the nut is in the spot next to it) the distance would be different. I took the old sprocket and placed it over the new one and began to spin one of them and match up the nut holes to see if the teeth match up and they only match up perfectly in 1 specific spot. Its hard to explain but I have a video of the sound that I will post soon. I noticed a lot of posts about weird sounds but its hard to compare the sounds when you don't know what they sound like.
Check the width of your chain is correct for your front sprocket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. I’m in a tussle... I am trying to change the rear sprocket to a sunstar and the front to a 16 t sunstar and the rear sprocket nuts are stripped so I am waiting for new nuts to come in the mail and trying to get the old ones off, i think I over tightened them : /. What kind of chain do you guys recommend? I know O-ring is good but what company and 106 link with master link? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I don’t understand why you can’t get the rear sprocket nuts off if they are “stripped.” Do you mean you rounded off the corners off the nuts, or you stripped the threads? If you rounded off the corners, then try a 6-point socket on them.

I’m in the process of slowly replacing my old 12-point sockets with 6-point sockets for this reason.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
If that doesn’t work, I’ve managed to salvage the situation by using a slightly smaller SAE socket than the metric size, tapped on with a hammer so its good and tight. And if that doesn’t work, you can buy socket-style nut extractors that are like a female version of an EZ out. The internal teeth cut down into the nut or bolt head and grip it that way. I bought a set 20 years ago. They have saved me a number of times.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts