Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a weird sound coming from the front sprocket area when I changed my rear wheel, rear sprocket and chain. The sound isn't affecting how the bike runs (still rides like a champ) but it concerns me to go past 3rd gear because the sound gets louder from 1st - 2nd - 3rd (I don't want to hurt her). I took the front sprocket off and moved the chain away from the thread so just the nut was spinning and there was no noise. I loosened the wheel adjustments and experimented with the amount of slack on the chain... sound is still there. I was wondering if it could be an alignment issue with the rear sprocket to the front sprocket... As in, if you install the rear sprocket just one nut over (spinning the sprocket so the nut is in the spot next to it) the distance would be different. I took the old sprocket and placed it over the new one and began to spin one of them and match up the nut holes to see if the teeth match up and they only match up perfectly in 1 specific spot. Its hard to explain but I have a video of the sound that I will post soon. I noticed a lot of posts about weird sounds but its hard to compare the sounds when you don't know what they sound like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow i did not expect you guys to respond so quickly. Thank you all! The sound is coming from my front sprocket and the front sprocket is in good shape... I just realized that the rear sprocket i replaced wasn't the same brand (sunstar) as the front sprocket in which it was before (both front and rear were sunstar sprockets). I ended up ordering a rear sprocket and a 16 tooth front sprocket from sunstar to see if that could make the sound disappear. i did notice the 106 link new chain i got was super tight and hard to put on the bike. maybe the bike can take more than 106 links? I tested the bike out going 65 with the weird noise just because it rides so good and everything seems fine. Ive been blocking out the sound and just getting used to it by now haha. Thanks guys, lemme know if the front and back have to be the same brand because thats my assumption at the moment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like the front sprocket has something wrong with it almost like its not timed right. It's not startling, not grinding or screeching, just annoying humming when I enter 1st gear and when I get the wheel moving and the noise gets louder in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, can't really hear it in 5th cause the engine is louder than it. Im thinking that the rear sprocket isn't in cahoots with the front sprocket, almost like the front sprocket should match up perfectly on the chain but it doesn't because of the rear sprocket... so the top part of the chain may be tighter than the bottom part of the chain. because the rear is placing the chain maybe a millimeter too far for the front sprocket. I've been trying to send a video but It keeps turning out to be too long so I will try to make a shorter video and see if that works. thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. I’m in a tussle... I am trying to change the rear sprocket to a sunstar and the front to a 16 t sunstar and the rear sprocket nuts are stripped so I am waiting for new nuts to come in the mail and trying to get the old ones off, i think I over tightened them : /. What kind of chain do you guys recommend? I know O-ring is good but what company and 106 link with master link? Thanks guys

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The six point socket worked!!! Only one nut wasn’t able to take the six point so I got a new pair of sharp teethed pliers and some wd40 and it came off no problems. Thanks so much I wasn’t aware of the six sided sockets. That’s why the 12 sided socket set was so cheap haha.
Well I got my new sprocket in and I’ll show you guys what I was talking about with the teeth not lining up on certain holes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There’s a pic of both sprockets old and new on top of each either with the teeth lined up. Which only happens on 1 of the 8 sequences of the threads. The next photo is gonna be just spinning the top sprocket one hole over

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The last photo was spun two holes over and it’s slightly off not exactly on point with the teeth.. and as I keep spinning it from 1 hole to thread it still doesn’t match up, until I spin it a full revolution to the point where the teeth match up perfectly... this is what I thought may be the problem in making the noise. Thanks for reading guys. Once I get these new nuts in I’ll be changing up the location of which the sprocket sits to see if that’s what is making the noise

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hey guys sorry I haven’t posted a vid yet. I will soon... I’ve been getting used to the sound now haha she still rides amazing. A new issue has set in tho... none of my blinkers work. Before, one side was clicking super fast and I changed the relay, fixed the problem. Then I left my bike in the sun while working on the rear wheel and sprockets for multiple days, also the key was inserted in the hole but not turned. I’m in Hawaii so the sun is very powerful. I thought it burn out the turn signal switch. The head light brights work and the horn works on the left handle control “assy” not sure if it’s called that. The rear brake light works. I dissected the assy and looked on the three soldered wires that connect to the turn signal and one looks funky, kind of like a dent or nick on it. I ordered a new assy for 65 bucks to see if that does the job... I have a voltage reader but there’s 9 copper wire connections so I don’t know where to test the electrical flow to see if it’s getting power. If it isn’t the assy, I’ll be stuck trying to figure out what it is...... had a rough time siphoning gas out of the tank to see the wire connections, got a mouthful of gas and little bit sprayed on my nose, burnt my lip and created a scab for a fee days.. hahah anyone ever done that?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Also thanks for clarifying that it isn’t the holes not lining up on the rear sprocket. Riding a 16/43... really noticing that second gear can take way higher speeds compared to the 15 tooth front. I think I may try a different chain to see if that’s the issue... do you guys unscrew the chain adjuster, I forget the exact amount like two revolutions or 1 1/2. Then tighten it back to spec?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
How do you test the orange wire? I have the red and black needle voltage mete. Could you use just single tipped voltage meter on one wire?. I don’t know the names

At the time I had thought the little pipe towards the screws that hold the gas tank down was going to seep out gas... realized later it was an air valve.

I under stand the chain needs to be loose enough to touch the rubber chain guard on the swing arm. My chain guard is super worn in from the last chain and rider. Possible corporate to the weird sound?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Haha just went for a quick spin to put up a vid. I’m aware most crashes happen a mile away from the house but I enjoy cruzing barefoot occasionally... I usually wear shoes, ear plugs, and always eye protection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.