Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've admired the new Triumphs for a while, and I haven't bought a bike in over a year (shocking, I know!!)

So, while shopping I found the perfect (I hope) match for me, and I bought a 2004 Triumph 955 Sprint ST in BRG..

Now all I have to do is fly down to Tampa on the 4th of July and ride it back home.. If the weather is bad, I'm going to just hump the 1300 miles in a couple days.. If the weather is nice, I'm going to stretch it out for a couple more days and wander the mountains of WV, TN, and KY for a 4 day weekend, and stretch it out to over 2000 miles..:)

I've promised myself I'll sell my 32 year old BMW R65 to help pay for the new Triple, and also make garage space.. :character00271:

And yes, when I get home the top box comes off!! :)

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
That's a really nice looking bike, Paper.

Congrats!

T

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the top box. No such thing as enough storage space.
I love storage space, too, but I just don't like top boxes.. I have a very small one on my KLR, and I have a big one on the back of the Helix, but they're not my thing.. I can usually get away with the two saddlebags, and I'll strap my camping gear inside a waterproof bag on the back seat, to double as a backrest. :)

The big thing that has me a bit on edge is that I've just bought a bike of a type that I've never ridden before.. My last 3 cylinder was a BMW K75s, and I've never been on a Triumph, ever..

I guess I'll figure out if I like it or not by the time I get home.. :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude, so many bikes, so little room. I envy you brother Paper. :character0005:
Well, we all have to have something that consumes our incomes.. I don't have a family or wife, I drink about 3 beers a week, and I'm frugal.. I've been saving money for some time to purchase property, and I decided that I'd buy a gift for myself.. My birthday is the Friday of the trip home from Florida..:)

I've also sold my Honda 4 wheeler and will be selling my Polaris snowmobile when the time is right..

But you're right.. I'm short on room.. Every motorcycle I own, other than the Helix has saddlebags.. They're space eaters and I don't like to take them on and off all the time..

But I'm thankful that my issue is room for another motorcycle.. Things could be much worse, and about 10 years ago, they were.. Big bills, crap job, big debt.. A come to Jesus meeting with myself and some serious kicking of my own ass, and I was able to turn it around..

·
Registered
297 Posts
I tell you what. To help you clear up some space, you can just drop that old Beemer at my house in sc on your way down.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Seriously, what a beautiful motorcycle, I could not be more happy for you. I had my come to Jesus about five years ago, so I think I know what your talking about. Congrats and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tell you what. To help you clear up some space, you can just drop that old Beemer at my house in sc on your way down.
Oh, I don't think you'd want me to do that.. I'm burning a frequent flier ticket from O'hare to Tampa, via ATL.. I think it'd make a mess from 37,000'...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seriously, what a beautiful motorcycle, I could not be more happy for you. I had my come to Jesus about five years ago, so I think I know what your talking about. Congrats and enjoy!
Thanks Craig... In my own personal ass kicking, I decided that I was going to become a bad American.. Not by disliking our Country, but by not spending money that wasn't in my hands..

I've admired the Triumphs for years and about a year ago I really started eyeballing the Triumphs and Guzzi's.. The Guzzi's I really wanted were more money than I was willing to spend. The Triumphs came down enough, and also showed extremely good reliability and a decent dealer base.

As luck would have it, I live 15 miles from the Triumph dealership that took First Place in customer satisfaction just last year.. I haven't had a BMW dealer within an hour in over 15 years.. :(

Like I said, I'll sure find out if I like it or not.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very nice Triumph! What a cool bike!

I almost bought a Tiger instead of my KLR. Wonderful machine. I had the liberty of testing a stock Daytona 675 a couple years ago...beautiful. I could only imagine that triple with the Arrow cans and performance tune.

Have you checked out the Rocket IIIs? Dear baby Jesus!!! It has more displacement than my Mazda. Lol.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey paper..

if in NC area ,,ashville,murphy, dragons tail ,, and want /have time to ride..

get in touch
I know the area well and would gladly hit the popular spots on any other weekend but that one.. I dread getting on one of those roads, only to get to enjoy it at 15mph while following a motorhome or worse, a Harley..:)

Right now, my two goals are to meander home and to grab a bunch of USA Grand Tour towns while doing so.. That way Sleddog won't yell at me. :)

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/djpagel/USA Grand Tour/?albumview=slideshow

Anyway, my options are wide open and it'll depend on weather, mostly.. I'll know more next week..

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
Nice acquisition! My brother-in-law has become a Triumph fan and just bought an 850 in the "cruiser" class. I think it's a Rocket, perhaps? Can't remember what he said the model name was. I didn't get to see it, but he found it a good bike at a reasonable price and from what he said, Triumph sales have increased by a large percentage over the last few years.

Enjoy it and the trip you're making to bring it home!

·
Registered
122 Posts
That way Sleddog won't yell at me. :)
Well, that's quite a bike! Very cool....Still going to Colorado? Gonna take the new ride, or the GS?

Sorry can't help ya out with any good roads coming from that direction. Although, that bike would be fun on the one I put your on!!!!

Be Safe,

See ya Saturday???

Sleddog

·
Registered
165 Posts
Paper,
Very nice. Don't sell the R65. Get another. I had a call today from
a guy who wants to sell me one and I'm not in the market. That way you could just leave bikes stationed around the country and fly to them. One near Deal's Gap, another on the East Slope outside Denver. Probably need one somewhere in Vermont as well...

Mac

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sleddog,
My plan is still to take the GS, and if sideshow doesn't get one of the "S" bikes in reliable mode, he's welcome to the Sprint for the trip.. It was great to see you and Mrs. Sleddog, as well as everybody else.. I just wish it would have been for a different reason.. It would have been that much better if Curt had been there, too.. I like watching Cindy smile, and Curt was REALLY good at that.. They lit up the room really well..

Mac,
My issue is lack of time to work on the R65 like it needs.. I'd rather have someone own it who will give it the attention it needs, rather than sit in front of my garage..

I have the R80 to ride and it's running great, so regular maintenance on it is fine.. The R65 needs more.. :(

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
:35a: Paper!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Paper,

Forgot to mention, I talked to Jim. He has space for a couple tents.

Our place is available too.

That goes for anyone else on the list. If you're traveling through South Dakota & need a place to crash or any repair work. I've got a garage full of tools, a pickup & /or a trailer if something needs to be hauled. Give me a shout.

Sleddog

1 - 20 of 26 Posts