Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a full 33 years of riding and numerous tip overs and a few honest to goodness crashes, my original 1987 KL650-A1 handlebars are BENT!! About an inch & three quarters down on the RH throttle side.

I wasn't even riding it!
It was motionless alongside the street curb at 11:30 PM on Tuesday night.
It was the victim of a 'Hit & Run', as was my '88 Ford Ranger and my wifes '80 KZ550. But they all 'protected' the wifes Subaru.
The driver who was probably under the influence of something, was accosted with-in about 10-15 minutes after making a circuitous route thru the neighborhood, while driving with a flat RH front tire. She spent the night in jail.

She grazed the Ranger drivers door & mirror with her RH mirror, which removed my LH mirror & her RH mirror. Her Front RH tire snapped off my LH 4x4 locking hub and sheared my steering wheel/ignition lock, (My steering wheel is now about 110 degrees rotated to the left) moving the Ranger forward & right about 18 inches. Things just barely grazed the paint between the two automobiles.

Then she clipped my (KLR650) LH turned & LH angled (due to curb & kickstand) (Park Locked ignition) front wheel and my wifes 550 front wheel, which body slammed both bikes to the ground, on their RH sides.

Estimated cost of repairs in-order of 'contact',
Ranger / $1,511.78
KLR / $559.40
KZ550 / $1,335.18 (My wife is still carrying Full Coverage insurance. We will see if it was worth it.)
Total / $3,406.36

My question is, are there any 'Tough' handlebars that are as tall as the OEM bars? Or will I need to purchase risers as well. :)

OH, and some great news. RMATV/MC shows that BLUE Radiator Shrouds are again AVAILABLE (in 5-7 days).

ps to Dave Pelletier,
I think that my Low VIN bike may have had some sort of prototype, super tough handlebar. As I do NOT find any previous part number. My friends 1989 bars were also 'Tough'.
# 46003-1153 supposedly has been used on 1984 thru 2007 KL600's & KLR650's, exclusively.
And we both know that the newer ones are not that tough.
Do you use risers? And if so, under What handlebar, exactly?

Reactions: Tym

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was just thinking to myself "whale crap" as I read this horror story, and then I saw the thread title...what a coincidence!
An 88' Ranger is just starting to appeal to my sense of style.
I'm not tuned into handlebars enough to comment, but good luck with all those bruises - Scott

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Regrets about the disaster! Hope all machines recover well.

If interested in handlebar risers, Eagle Mike 1-1/2" fit my Generation 1 KLR650 (and KLR250) with slightly re-routed OEM cables; some handlebar hardware re-positioned a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Sorry to hear Paul. I use Renthal RC-Hi's. Part # 809-01. There are other higher bars IIRC like the CR HI and Desert Bends. ....My concern was mainly with pullback as I find the stockers to have WAY too much of it. Take a look at the sizes (stock here, of course: controlswww.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html# ) Renthal sizing: MX / Enduro - 7/8" they used to have a nice little chart but I see they've "updated" their website. :-(

I don't use risers and it's a bit of a contentious thing; the pros say they are bad and compromise the optimal riding position.....but people like them claiming they offer much more comfort (some say control but they'd likely be wrong). .....the thought that comfort is more important than the optimal riding position on a bike like a KLR also has some merit though I still think more people use risers that shouldn't.. All that aside, since the KLR's bar mount is on an angle, fixed risers are a very bad thing as they bring the bars back closer to your body which is bad for ergos......Rox adjustable risers are what I'd use if I was going to use any and since they can pivot to move the bars all the way forward, they may actually help a bit.

2 cents,

Dave

·
Registered
86 Posts
F58A7071-8F05-48F8-93F0-468E1EFEA698.jpeg B3DE734D-7696-4208-B679-B9506E3FB739.jpeg “Optimal riding position” is BS. It all depends on you. Likewise for comfort. My bike came with a set of ROX adjustable risers that allow me to rotate the RISERS forward or backward to change how close or far the bars sit to the rider. Really useful. I have mine rotated forward to move the bars away from me, and the bars rotated downward so the handgrips are angled downward and back a bit. Much more comfortable on the wrists and shoulders on highway rides. I’ll send a picture later.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whale Crap again. The 29 year old restaurant waitress doesn't have insurance. Yet liability insurance is required to be in effect to purchase license plate or renewal sticker. The insurance companies ought to have to report cancellations.

I wish the judges in these cases would garnish the wages of these offenders to pay the victims losses in FULL! Even if it takes a lifetime.

Thanks for reading my rant.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Small claims court! Do sorry you have to deal with crap!

When I had to do my repairs, I bought Carmichael bend Pro Taper bar on top of Rox anti vibe riser. The ergos work for me.

Things I learned in the process: I didn't really think out the hand guard fitment. The guards I chose (which is quite nice and spendy) didn't work with stock bar ends, so my bar vibe is about what stock used to be.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Principle vs PITA. It's one of those decisions whether to be the instrument of 'the lesson' so this behavior doesn't escalate to the point of harming herself or others. And to fix your shit too!

I feel for ya man.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Gosh - I'm sorry to hear about that. I had a similar situation, and it really hurt - is there any chance that your insurance will help pay for the damages, like an "uninsured/underinsured driver" clause?

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
View attachment 26511 View attachment 26512 “Optimal riding position” is BS. It all depends on you. Likewise for comfort. My bike came with a set of ROX adjustable risers that allow me to rotate the RISERS forward or backward to change how close or far the bars sit to the rider. Really useful. I have mine rotated forward to move the bars away from me, and the bars rotated downward so the handgrips are angled downward and back a bit. Much more comfortable on the wrists and shoulders on highway rides. I’ll send a picture later.

While everyone has a different body and a different size; Optimal riding position is certainly NOT B.S......there are hundreds of articles on the subject and any racer can tell you that. When it comes to bikes like the KLR it's about how much you want to compromise "optimal riding position" for comfort. ....as an ex racer and someone that doesn't do long distance riding, for me the answer is "not much". .....for others, they may not care one whit if they have their bike set up properly for offroad riding.....like every cruiser ever built.

There are adjustments to be made for size and some for preference but if you want to ride at a fast pace offroad, there is a window you want to stay within. As I said before, the Rox risers pivoted forward may actually help ergos; fixed risers on a KLR will not. ....and before anyone latches on my last sentence; yes it is possible to ride a KLR at a fast pace offroad...at least one with proper suspension.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Whale Crap again. The 29 year old restaurant waitress doesn't have insurance. Yet liability insurance is required to be in effect to purchase license plate or renewal sticker. The insurance companies ought to have to report cancellations.

I wish the judges in these cases would garnish the wages of these offenders to pay the victims losses in FULL! Even if it takes a lifetime.

Thanks for reading my rant.
hoping for the best outcome for you Paul. this sucks

Dave

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
As an aside (not that I would ever hijack a thread) @pdwestman, are you aware that whale crap is worth more than it's weight in gold?

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tom, I don't wish to contradict you, but I (by coincidence) happen to have a book about crap near me. I looked up whale crap and ambergris or "floating gold" is really whale vomit. I uploaded the information for you and hope this is useful to the thread....
DSCN0656.JPG

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
"Well, crap, you can't argue with a man who has a book about crap", Tom spewed.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yak!

I recently investigated some dry fur balls with mouse bones & deciphered on my own that they were from an owl roosting in the tree limb above..

·
Registered
86 Posts
hoping for the best outcome for you Paul. this sucks

Dave
Dave, you took me too literally. I don’t mean that you could put highway pegs and pullback bars and a cruiser seat on a bike you intend to ride off-pavement. I mean that an “optimal” position is a compromise that depends on the rider, the length of arms, legs, torso, strength, etc. and don’t forget that many of us are into the “arthritis years!” Plus the inherent compromises of a “dual-purpose” machine.

Yes, the footpegs need to be more or less under your butt and easy to stand up on, the bars need to put you in a mostly upright seating position and you can control them from a standing or squatting position, and so on. The seat on a dirt-only bike can be a flat board ‘cause you won’t be sitting on it that much, however on a bike you ride a couple hundred miles TO the dirt, Comfort is King! At least for me.

Ride on!

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Dave, you took me too literally. I don’t mean that you could put highway pegs and pullback bars and a cruiser seat on a bike you intend to ride off-pavement. I mean that an “optimal” position is a compromise that depends on the rider, the length of arms, legs, torso, strength, etc. and don’t forget that many of us are into the “arthritis years!” Plus the inherent compromises of a “dual-purpose” machine.

Yes, the footpegs need to be more or less under your butt and easy to stand up on, the bars need to put you in a mostly upright seating position and you can control them from a standing or squatting position, and so on. The seat on a dirt-only bike can be a flat board ‘cause you won’t be sitting on it that much, however on a bike you ride a couple hundred miles TO the dirt, Comfort is King! At least for me.

Ride on!

Possibly; sorry for any mis-interpretation. Unfortunately for me, I'm well into my "arthritis years" - I make some concensions for comfort but not much at the expense of how I like to have my offroad bikes set up.....Too many years riding/racing offroad; old dog, new tricks, yada, yada. Funny story (well to me, anyhow!) about 5 years ago I bought a full on touring bike; a 2010 HD Electraglide classic with cruise control, stereo, adjustable backrest and all the other bells and whistles......I then embarked on a 3,000 mile trek through the south western states and man, I've never been so uncomfortable in my life! the seating position strained my arms and hurt my back and my knees and hips were killing me......I stopped at a dealership on day 2 and added highway pegs which made the torture somewhat bearable. I sold the bike shortly after that trip and went back to my KLR's.

I set up my bikes just like I chose my tires; for the worst conditions I expect to ride.....I deal with the compromises elsewhere. That said, dualsports are an exercise in compromise and everyone has their own criteria and wants/needs/expectations/experience.

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts