Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike is a 2000 and had 25K+ miles on it when I got it. Every little upgrade/mod I do to this bike seems to really help alot with handling and power.

Today I installed my new 16/43 sprockets and chain. You'd have to have ridden the bike before and after to be able to tell what I am talking about but it made such a big difference I can't believe it... The bike is so much smoother now. The vibration that I felt before is almost completely gone. Today after I put these new parts on I was hitting 70mph without even realizing it! Smooooth! I knew that the front sprocket was a 16t and so it wasn't stock and probably didn't really need to be changed but I wasn't sure so I did it anyway, but the rear...the rear sprocket was in terrible shape when I got it off. There were 3 teeth that were almost completely gone! Also, the rear that I took off is a little bit smaller than the one I put on it. It's a 43t but just a little smaller for some reason. Probably the stock sprocket but not sure.

Also, an interesting tidbit, before the swap my top speed was 87 mph. After the swap my top speed is 94 mph...so I gained a little top end with the new sprockets and it runs so much smoother at top speed(Not that I will be running it that fast!)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just swapped out my stick 15t sprocket for a 16t a couple days ago. It's a whole different bike, and cruises so comfy at 75.

I have a 14t on hand for when I want to offroad, but just going up 1 tooth on the front sprocket really made sucha difference.

That's crazy your rear was in such bad shape!

·
Registered
45 Posts
With 16/43 sprockets, 65 mph indicated cruising speed should be at 4000 rpms. Nice and easy, and right in the meat of the torque!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts