Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,756 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,756 Posts
Just out of curiousity, you said the filter was clean. Was it dry or was there still oil on it?

·
Threadjacker
6,756 Posts
What the hell? That was the response to another thread. Huh? I quit drinking for christ's sake. :)

Disregard brother, disregard.

Reactions: Hellreaver

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have noticed that 6 speed bikes run about the same rpm in top gear as a 5 speed bike. The 6 speed bikes have a closer ratio between 1-6 which can help keep the bike in the power band in the tight stuff but does not really help on highway crusing. A 6th gear would be helpful if the 1-5 gear ratios remained the same and the 6th gear was truly an overdrive.

Greg.

·
Registered
452 Posts
2 main problems with our 650 and a true 6 spd ..

1 .our 5th gear is a 1 to 1 ratio and is almost usless already on hills when loaded up
2. a 6 speed would be a true overdrive and we already dont have enough power for it to be useful at legal speeds

unless you wanted a closer ratio and top gear still being 1 to 1 it would help keep you in that sweet spot pulling hills and corners ..

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you do a lot of road travel, consider changing your sprockets. You can get the same affect by putting a smaller sprocket on the rear. You will notice an obvious drop in acceleration but the top end speed will increase and lower RPM's at highway speeds.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you do a lot of road travel, consider changing your sprockets. You can get the same affect by putting a smaller sprocket on the rear. You will notice an obvious drop in acceleration but the top end speed will increase and lower RPM's at highway speeds.
Yes,,I agree,But dont really want to change sprockets,,I like the "take off" speed with stock gearing. I'm just gathering information from different places to see whats out there. Wishfull thinking,,,that there would be a kit,,,customizer place that could do it. Maybe I should open my own shop and do stuff like modify bikes,,improve them in certain areas. I'd start with the 6- speed gearbox!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts

1 .our 5th gear is a 1 to 1 ratio and is almost usless already on hills when loaded up
2. a 6 speed would be a true overdrive and we already dont have enough power for it to be useful at legal speeds

unless you wanted a closer ratio and top gear still being 1 to 1 it would help keep you in that sweet spot pulling hills and corners ..
I agree here...

A 6th gear wouldn't do much. I put a bigger sprocket on and got a little more outta her, but at the end of the day its not a speed bike. Its a dual sport...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go for it, open a shop and do mods nobody does

It should be really easy to add another gear to the KLR and no good reason why Kawasaki hasn't done it already. I bet you could do it cheaper and faster. Maybe there is a YouTube to tell you how, if not just post a request for somebody to do it for you, maybe on Craigslist.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I love warp speed and spend a fair amount of time maxing out 5th
gear. It has the 16 tooth front sprocket, fender trimmed, and the front
is lowered down the tree one inch. Stage one under the hood.

6th gear would become a very good friend of mine very quickly. LOL

CheapBlur

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally Posted by wayne_l

unless you wanted a closer ratio and top gear still being 1 to 1 it would help keep you in that sweet spot pulling hills and corners

Could not agree more. Ran the 16/43 gearing for about 12,000 miles. Works OK on pavement if I had no load, no headwind and no hills. 5th was too high and 4th too low in many cases. Back to stock gearing for me. I love the bike but it is what it is. Sub 40 horsepower is not enough the pull the higher gearing without lugging the motor IMHO

·
Registered
223 Posts
Honda CBR250R only has 23 horsepower and it has 6th gear. Its 1st gear is KLR's 2nd gear ratio and its 6th gear is KLR's 4th. The reason why Kawa doesn't make it is the same why they don't improve the balancer for decades : people will still buy it without the upgrade.
I think the additional 6th gear will gives a lot of benefits. Rearrange the ratios across the gears so that nobody needs to change for 15T front for the trails and 16T for the highway.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,007 Posts
6th gear on a klr?
You can wish in one hand and crap in the other, and see which one gets filled first :LOL:

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only time I use my tach is on the highway to compare with my speedo to avoid the embarrassment of attempting to shift to an imaginary gear... Sometimes.
I suspect that if my KLR was a 6 speed, I'd routinely try to shift to 7th.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts