Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've got a Supertrapp on mine. But if money isn't an issue for you I'd go with the Stainitune or Lazerpro. I haven't had any problems with my ST but have heard some bad things on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From comments I've gleaned on other sites, the Staintune gets high marks. It's what I'd get if I had $400 burning a hole in my pocket. It doesn't have a spark arrestor, though, so Mr. Ranger might not let you into Jellystone park with one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Recent Staintune install, not expecting any problems. A pair were on another bike I bought three years ago; nice stuff. Still trying to justify the price.
Btw, very subdued on the noise end w/baffle.
Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a external disc race type supertrapp. It is great on the low end, but falls short at throttle wfo.

I like it, and it seems to provide good power. Sounds infinetly better than stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone have the stock muffler laying around? if so could you wheight it for me and let me know how heavy it is? looks like there would be alot of weight hiding in it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Jardine on mine. Works perfectly and installation was simple. Put 1600 miles on it and have no problems. Quality was excellent...........I expected it to kinda junky but I was pleaseantly surprised. For the money I paid it is pretty hard to beat this exhaust. Pipe and buying a jet kit still under 300 bucks.

If I did't have this exhaust on now I found that Two Brothers racing makes a pipe setup for the KLR and it looks great. I expect the quality of it to be very high from seeing other Two Brother exhaust systems on many sportbikes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
BenzTech said:
Big Gun (06 model), UNI filter, mod. air box w/4 1" holes, and DJ 140 main, drilled slide, adjustable needle etc.
BenzTech - how do you like the Big Gun? I was considering the same system until I saw a few bad reviews. This site in particular makes me wary of dropping the big bucks for a Big Gun Exhaust...

http://biggunexhaust-test.com/

·
Registered
595 Posts
Wow! Good post... I had intended to get Big Gun's header pipe and buy a Laser Pro Duro muffler instead. (Staintune second choice) I knew the Big Gun was not a well made unit from the beginning. Rivets are a dead give away to a company's lack of comittment to a product. A muffer in my opinion should always be welded.

But dang, what kind of crappy metal exhaust tubing were they using for the header pipe? Now, I'm going to have to rethink my exhaust strategy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thats a great link for reference, but......the header pipe and rear muffler in the pics is the OLD STYLE. The new style has a different head pipe, and a titanium coated oval muffler with different style rivets. The new header pipe has 1 less weld (I think). The complete system is ceramic coated also (dont know if the old one was). It seems alot of people bash Big Gun, but for me the system has given no problems at all. It is a loud system, but that does'n't bother me. I would buy a Big Gun system again.

EDIT: I was looking at the site again, and the new Big Gun exhaust muffler piping is much different than the old version. The new version does not have welded seems in the side, its smooth tubing w/no seem. Just from the pics I would have to agree the old version does not look so great. The new version seems to be much nicer. The new muffler has a combo of rivets and a stainless band of steel keeping the can attached to the pipe. I included a new pic of the muffler (borrowed from the big gun website)
http://www.biggunexhaust.com/images/b-evo-x.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
BenzTech said:
Thats a great link for reference, but......the header pipe and rear muffler in the pics is the OLD STYLE. The new style has a different head pipe, and a titanium coated oval muffler with different style rivets. The new header pipe has 1 less weld (I think). The complete system is ceramic coated also (dont know if the old one was). It seems alot of people bash Big Gun, but for me the system has given no problems at all. It is a loud system, but that does'n't bother me. I would buy a Big Gun system again.
Thanks for the quick reply. How long have you had your Big Gun? And how much was it?

I have to say, even if there were some improvements made in their products, I am still hesitant to purchase considering their track record of customer service.

I've found a number of other threads talking about problems with Big Gun in different forums and it would seem that Big Gun doesn't give a rat's ass about the people who have problems with their products.

Besides the Staintune, Jardine, and Supertrapp - what other options are there for a KLR aftermarket exhaust?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had it for about 6 months and maybe 1k miles. No repacking yet, still seems ok. I got it from pro-flo.com for $399 ($420 shipped)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts