Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I have been thinking about installing an aftermarket slip on exhaust on my 08. I am looking for some more response, but not excessive noise. I know i may have to change jetting and make air box mods. I am hoping to be able lighten the front end over trail junk. To much snow to ride, would like to do some mods during the winter.
thanks fellas

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am also looking to change to a quieter exhaust but one that will give increased air flow. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just fitted an Aussie made TKP muffler and mid pipe to my 04 and the power increase is really huge between 1500 and 5000 rpm, and i haven't done the airbox holes or the washer under the needle or any jetting yet, but it has already improved the grunt.
It is a lot louder than stock but not in your ear when riding at highway speeds and it also looks fantastic and is beautifully made....... will post some pics when i get the time and might even do a youtube vid so people can have a listen and a look , here's the web site
http://www.tkpipes.com.au/cube/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=58

·
Registered
3 Posts
for what it is worth

From what I know the stay tune is the best there is with the FMF, and white bros E2 in second and third. I run a procurcuit because I got a deal on it but it is far from quiet. Big Gun and Jardines are the loudest I know of. I have heard the supertrap IDS2 and thought is was a great sounding pipe and it is on easy on the wallet for cost. Stay Tune are in the $500 range but are stainless and never need to be repacked from what I know of. I am not sure about the spark arrestor?

·
Registered
1 Posts
aftermarket exhaust

i put a dg-r exhaust on mine better airflow but alot noisier! if you want quiet but better flow do the cheap exhaust mod. got my exhaust on ebay for 160.00. really inexpensive and lighter than stock.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I put a DG can on last year as well. Inexpensive and seemed to help with response and top end but it killed low and mid range power (not as much backpressure).
The DG is very loud. I even repacked mine and it was still loud. I used it for about a year and the screen cone (spark arrester) came apart and blew out, which made it even louder and gave it even less backpressure.
Today I removed the DG and put the stock exhaust back on. The bike is much more enjoyable to ride with the stock tweety.
I dont even think Im going to do the saw hole mod, after riding for a year with a loud exhaust, I kind of miss the tweety.
Anyone wanna buy a DG slip on?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I picked up the Lexx slip on from Rocky Mountain ATV. Its their house brand. I picked it up for around $200 bucks a year ago. It was throaty when i installed it and sounds great. One of the main reasons i selected it over the others, beyond price, was that the end cap can be removed with allen screws for repacking of the fiberglass. Most of the competitors need to have rivets drilled out to remove the cap. The manual says to repack every 12 hours, but i haven't touched it in 5000+ miles. It has gotten louder, but its not obnoxious yet. Fiberglass will come at some point, but not yet.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Repack every 12 hours.......
Thats crazy. I would be repacking it every two-three weeks or every other tank of gas in the summer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also put on a Lexx and have been pretty happy with it. A bit louder but not really a lot. Better grumble and throttle sound but not annoying at all. A little crisper on the throttle response all through the range. Much lighter than stock. Fitment is good. For under $200 it was a good deal. As for the repacking so far it seems fine with about 3k on it. It's not currently on the maintenance list at all.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
RE: Aftermarket exhaust

Good Evening All,

I purchased the Jardine RT4 slip on exhaust. Whew! what a difference in weight, power and, sound! The Jardine weighs half of the original stock muffler at 5.5lbs as opposed to 12lbs. The additional power is fantastic, much more torque on the start, some decrease on the very top end, but can still do 90+. The sound is gorgeous, everyone knows that the bike is comming. Nice deep throaty sound. I will admit I did purchase and install the QMI, Quiet Module Insert that takes the Dbi's down by 10 or so. Now it is just perfect.

Snakeboy66

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good Evening All,

I purchased the Jardine RT4 slip on exhaust. Whew! what a difference in weight, power and, sound! The Jardine weighs half of the original stock muffler at 5.5lbs as opposed to 12lbs. The additional power is fantastic, much more torque on the start, some decrease on the very top end, but can still do 90+. The sound is gorgeous, everyone knows that the bike is comming. Nice deep throaty sound. I will admit I did purchase and install the QMI, Quiet Module Insert that takes the Dbi's down by 10 or so. Now it is just perfect.

Snakeboy66
Thats the kind of stuff I'm looking for. A few questions; Who/where did you get it from? How much for it? Any carb adjustments? Does it some w/ a spark arrestor? How was the fitment?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
What aftermarket exhaust to get?

Good Evening mnklrmarine,

I am glad I could offer you some helpful information. As to your questions. I located the muffler on Craigslist, it was brand new and too noisy for the previous owner. I check it out inside and out and it looked great. I paid $160.00 for the "used" QT4. I believe a new one is around $260.00. I did purchase the QMI insert to reduce the high pitched sound. It is now nice and throaty, you can hear me coming.

I believe there is a spark arrestor inside the can, it has been awhile since I looked. I do live in San Francisco and not too many forests around that require the arrestor. It is easy to install if needed. Basically, the answer to that question is: "I don't know." I will take a good look and let you know.

There were no carb adjustments needed. It is a basic slip on. It does require a good solid connection between the two pipes, so make sure that it is really on- slipped all the way on. The bracket that it came with is very nice, sturdy and simple. I eventually modified the rear fender with a simple cutout of about two inches in the shape of a half moon. It was shorter than the stock and began to discolor the plastic with a slight melting.

I wish you luck. I hope this helped in some small way.

Snakeboy66

·
Registered
186 Posts
frist one i put on ..
with little custom pipe bending,, was stock pipe, off a 1000cc ducati with almost new -dual mufflers($70 e-bay w/shipping) ,,made little more noise than stock=just a deeper rich tone ,,but top-mid power was incressed..enjoyed it for a while,, untill recived my ,,full exhaust mid-pipe with new muffler!!!!

now have full exhaust on two klr's,, 1st- all topgun ,,2nd- fmf power bomb mid-pipe, w/dg muffler(couldn't afford fmf muffler at the time)but will replace the dg ,with a fmf muffler,,,,if when able..

i would never go back to any form of a stock exhaust ..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts