Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks. I love those years of ford pickups. My daughter has a 78 f150 4x4. The 390 in my eyes was very under rated and provided excellent tq and horsepower. When you need a engine let me know.I enjoy building them. Those years are getting tougher to find in this area. Hang on to that Beauty!

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
2 x 4 x 7500 = 60,000 / 12 = 5,000 ft per minute piston speed! That is Impressive!

I've no idea what is consider the "upper limit" nowadays?
I take it thats faster than klr?
Oh Yeah, by nearly 1000 fpm.

2 x 3.2677 x 7500 = 49,015.5 / 12 = 4084.625 fpm of piston speed for the KLR. Used to be considered fairly high, especially for a single cylinder.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks. I love those years of ford pickups. My daughter has a 78 f150 4x4. The 390 in my eyes was very under rated and provided excellent tq and horsepower. When you need a engine let me know.I enjoy building them. Those years are getting tougher to find in this area. Hang on to that Beauty!
I'm glad you like it. I'm the third owner, with my daughter's friends having purchased from the estate of the original owner. I also have the original purchase documents as well as mechanical/repair and accessory receipts going back to '73. It shows that it had a 360 on the purchase order but then I've got the receipts from a machine/auto repair shop in Bend, OR that says it was rebuilt to a 390. I don't know what that entails. The guy in Morton, near Seattle, who rebuilt the seats also did work for Seahawks owner Paul Allen, now deceased.

I bought it to have an old beater truck but then, well, you know how that goes. I started fixing it up and had a difficult time getting control of myself. The friend who owns the body ship where it was painted took it down to near bare metal and there was no rust anywhere with the body straight. I learned that is was classified as a "heavy half" when I was working on the front and rear drum brakes. The shoe kits I got from Napa were not right because I told them it was a half ton 4x4. Turns out that it has 3/4-1 ton brakes.

The sad state is that most of these old beauties have simply rotted away, especially in the mid-west and rust belt states. My friends in our local Saints Car Club tell me the same thing as you, to hang onto it.

You daughter probably has a C6 automatic in her 150. I had one years ago. This one has the old 4 speed granny gear manual.

Excuse me rest of forum members. I should have sent this as a PM to Steve and will do for any other posts.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm glad you like it. I'm the third owner, with my daughter's friends having purchased from the estate of the original owner. I also have the original purchase documents as well as mechanical/repair and accessory receipts going back to '73. It shows that it had a 360 on the purchase order but then I've got the receipts from a machine/auto repair shop in Bend, OR that says it was rebuilt to a 390. I don't know what that entails. The guy in Morton, near Seattle, who rebuilt the seats also did work for Seahawks owner Paul Allen, now deceased.

I bought it to have an old beater truck but then, well, you know how that goes. I started fixing it up and had a difficult time getting control of myself. The friend who owns the body ship where it was painted took it down to near bare metal and there was no rust anywhere with the body straight. I learned that is was classified as a "heavy half" when I was working on the front and rear drum brakes. The shoe kits I got from Napa were not right because I told them it was a half ton 4x4. Turns out that it has 3/4-1 ton brakes.

The sad state is that most of these old beauties have simply rotted away, especially in the mid-west and rust belt states. My friends in our local Saints Car Club tell me the same thing as you, to hang onto it.

You daughter probably has a C6 automatic in her 150. I had one years ago. This one has the old 4 speed granny gear manual.

Excuse me rest of forum members. I should have sent this as a PM to Steve and will do for any other posts.
No 4spd also It had a worn 429 so we did up fresh 460.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had a 77 F250 Ranger Custom. It was fire engine red inside and out even the seat was red.
It had a 300 straight six and the big low geared four speed tranny.
It was one of the best trucks I ever owned. Sadly it rusted away in twelve years.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
I have been riding my bicycle a lot. To pass the time away I decided to do some rebuilding on my bicycle pumps. I replaced the hoses on the Goldenrod, the Silca Pista, and the Meidai Top Super. The pump heads were replaced on all three of those, too. A new Silca leather cup is coming for the Meidai; its cup is shot. The Hurricane Team didn't need anything, fortunately. It's a peesashit that I love to hate. Works every time. I'm looking for a mini-Schrader head for it that will fit on the stupid BMW's rear wheel where the fine German engineer fell in lust with his dog. And the Big-Boy - pffft. Not worth working on. It always works, too, but it's really not sexy at all. Kind of plain, like Pat Nixon.

Today I build a special-purpose shelf to store them. Got it primed today, paint and install tomorrow.

The Meidai needs a lead washer to seal its hose to the cast-iron base. Right now it is working with one of my neoprene-faced steel drain plug washers, but it looks like ass. I got the Lee lead pot out on Saturday and cast up a 3/4" X 4" lead slug in a section of copper pipe. The copper pipe was removed from the casting. I need to chuck it up in the lathe and make lead washers. Is that stupid, or what? A 4" slug ought to make a lifetime supply.

Shit, it's better than doing jigsaw puzzles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
got the torsion spring and gaskets on order to upgrade my eagle mike doo to the torsion version on my Gen1. I also need to rebuild petcock. If the stuff arrives I will be wrenching memorial day weekend. looking forward to it.

line6distortion

·
Registered
774 Posts
Got the valve job done on my extra cylinder head, now have to do the math and order new shims.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Covid stuvid stuvv

Reactions: campfire

·
Registered
33 Posts
Riding my KLR a lot more! Since being forced to work from home for 9 weeks now I have not put gas in my truck for 8 weeks but have put over 400 mi. on the KLR going for short escapes on eves and weekends just to get away from the house. Also changed out my Doo and spring yesterday. It was a piece of cake and now one less thing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
5,563 Posts
Tornado Warnings in the area made a ride seem like a bad idea, so instead I stayed in and Never-Dulled my razor collection..........

·
Registered
774 Posts
Went for a ride yesterday with the guys over past Lodi California. Yes, the Lodi that Creedence sang about.

Anyway, there's a meat market up in Lockeford, CA that has the absolute best smoked meats in these parts. It made for a nice warm 158 mile loop before the heat got too bad. It hit 104 in Lockeford and the same in Lodi, but we made it and only saw 96 on the ride. And LOTS of back roads to get around Lodi or any other nearby town, that are always fun to explore.
And we also have to cross the California Delta that has a couple of Ferry Crossings that are fun in this day and age.

It was nice to get out a little on the bike even if it was in the heat.
Put a new brake controller in my truck today, and planning on installing a new set of airbags in the rear coil springs tomorrow. Have a camping trip planned for next month and want the rig ready to go all the way to Idaho without any issues.

Reactions: Dan Diego

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
@campfire, do you ever go over the Antioch bridge? It always makes me pee my pants a little bit.

For those not familiar:

Going over it feels like this:

Reactions: samuel and campfire

·
Registered
774 Posts
@campfire, do you ever go over the Antioch bridge? It always makes me pee my pants a little bit.

For those not familiar:

Going over it feels like this:
Once or twice on a bike, but I actually lived out there for about a year long, long ago and went over it all the time in cars & trucks.
I HATED that bridge when I towed my boat over it when it was windy. I did that ONCE!

Have a buddy in Florida and he's planning a ride to Key West. I think that might be nice in someways, or a complete stress fest on some of those bridges.

Reactions: Dan Diego

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
The bridge traffic moves at an average of 120mph. The wind is usually running at 50 knots. The top of the bridge is at 10,000 feet with a grade of 140% for the approach. The bridge shakes up and down, 15 feet on average, due to the wind and the spindly legs it sits on. There is no breakdown lane and they charge you $5 to ride on it.

I've only been on it on by motorcycle.

I do love the delta ferries. And the fairies.

There's a loop that is south-westish of Rio Vista that is rolling-hills-farmy rather than flat-delta-farmy, out towards Birds Landing. A nice diversion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried that. I'm an idiot . Why can't I get help unless I'm a computer nerd/know it all??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like work-HA. I am finally finishing restoration of my 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000LTD. Complete disassembly (left engine with 14K intact) and redid everything else. Painted it in a high gloss basic black. Hopefully within 2 days of first ride!

61 - 80 of 116 Posts