Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
Getting drunk and watching music videos.

I've come to learn that a lot of the songs I thought were "corny" back in the day are actually very good.

Take, for instance, Donovan's Sunshine Superman.

Video below. Girl in the video is Sue Lyon. You might recognize her from the classic film "Lolita." She was Donovan's main squeeze for awhile. I understand why.....

·
Registered
774 Posts
A while back I started this little project during the lock down with some spare hexagon steel I had.

A little shaping-----

And a little drilling----

And it started to take shape.

Then I added some trunnions on the sides, and a block of wood was shaped.

And I was able to celebrate the Fourth of July just a little today!

Happy Fourth Everyone!

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
In Lander, WY on Veterans Day the local AFL / VFW crowd, drive around town to near veterans homes and attempt to awaken everyone in the neighborhood UP to attend their annual pancake breakfast in memory of the "40 & 8" to support nurses scholarships, by Firing Cannons! :)

Reactions: campfire

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Today was a very good day, as I learned something.

Thank you, @pdwestman, I was not aware of the "40 & 8", an interesting group.

Cannons are a Good Thing™.

Reactions: campfire

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
"Well, which is it, flammable or inflammable?" Tom asked hotly.

Reactions: ymracing

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hah,hah! You’ve been checking the online dictionaries. They also say you can use “irregardless.” <groan> I’m an old military guy. Never say cannons. Unless you want to drop for 50.

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
Wonder what happens in the Navy if you refer to a battleship "gun" as a cannon? Do you get keelhauled?

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
If you have Netflix, there's a good documentary on there called Tread about that guy who armored a huge Komatsu bulldozer and wreaked havoc on the town of Granby, Colorado back in 2004 after a bunch of townsfolk pissed him off.

I also enjoyed the movie The Hunt. It's worth watching just for Betty Gilpin's lead actress performance.

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
The "remastered" original Star Trek series on Netflix is pretty good.

I guess a lot of purists decry the changes as heresy but I was never a big Trekkie so I don't care. I was 5-6 years old when it aired on TV and it wasn't something my parents (thus, me) watched back then. Viewing them now, I think I've seen all these episodes at one time or another over the years, but I have a new appreciation for them with the remastered episodes. Thumbs-up from me.

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
I must say I never heard this phrase from a Drill Sergeant or anybody else in the Army until Full Metal Jacket came out.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Not since Kennedy proclaimed that he was a jelly donut have I ever looked at a jelly donut in the same way.

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
I was surprised the other day when I was watching a documentary about Apache pilots called Above The Best and they were shown during one of their pre-deployment briefings watching clips from Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now. I watched those same clips in every pre-deployment briefing I went through, usually queued up by some lame battalion staff 2nd Lieutenant. I can't talk, though. It was that fabulous "1st of the 9th" air assault scene from Apocalypse Now that made me decide to enlist for Army Aviation. That scene at sunrise with the helicopters taking off while the cavalry bugler played is a classic. I never experienced that, though. I was always the guy picking up the boat............usually in a lone aircraft at like 2:00 in the morning............

81 - 100 of 116 Posts