Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Administrator
10,121 Posts
I think that those are minimally useful. They are of no help in getting the front end off the ground, nor in raising the rear so that the wheel can be removed or suspension serviced.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that most opt for this:
or somesuch.

· Registered
52 Posts
I find the rear wheel lifts very handy to lube & adjust the chain (also to get the accumulated lube off the back wheel). I have also used it for rear wheel removal / rear tire changes. As Tom noted, no help with the front tire or disassembly of the rear suspension for lubrication. I also have a motorcycle jack (as Tom showed), and a full table style lift. I don't know if you are thinking of center stand (I do not have one), but one would do all of the above and travel along wherever you go. Or just use Tom's magic stick.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,220 Posts
I have this, and use a drill with a socket to raise & lower the lift. Works very well…but I bought it a couple years back when it was only $65. Looks like the price went up.

If you have the garage space, I would probably opt for the harbor freight jack.

· Administrator
10,121 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: klr4evr

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my garage is already busting at the seams and just putting the bike in there is going to make it bulge a little more! No offense to the "super stick" but I sure think I would like a center stand ....is there a good one out there.... I'm not really a Trail Rider where I'm bumping over logs or anything just the occasional trip down a dirt road but mostly riding around town and County Roads so the centerstand won't be a problem for me!

· Registered
527 Posts

· Registered
535 Posts
I have this, and use a drill with a socket to raise & lower the lift. Works very well…but I bought it a couple years back when it was only $65. Looks like the price went up.

If you have the garage space, I would probably opt for the harbor freight jack.

I'm interested in this. Never used one. So the platform just sits directly on the KLR's skid plate and nothing breaks? Or do you remove the skid plate first? I'm still rocking the OEM plastic plate and have no plans to replace it. Do you tie the bike down to something? Because it seems it needs to just balance on the frame lower frame down tubes/skid plate?

I'm getting ready to replace the "temporary" OEM tires. Sucker's don't last more than 2k miles at the rear!

· Registered
33 Posts
I haven't picked up my 2022 yet, but when I do one of the first things I'll install is a center stand. I don't have a garage, so it will make adjusting and lubing the chain much easier. It will also be handy for oil changes and eventual tire changes. If I ever get a flat on the road, a center stand can be so valuable. Not the cheapest accessory, but this one from Happy Trails seems well made and easy to install.
2022 KLR650 Centerstand (happy-trail.com)

· Registered
114 Posts
I use the scissor lift all the time on my KLR for lubing the chain. You just put it as far back on the frame before it hits the swing arm. No problems on the skid plate. By going to the rear, the front tire is still on the ground.

If you want to pick up the whole bike, then something like the Harbor freight jack is the best for that. It is more stable because you can use tie downs from the bike to the jack. This keeps the bike stable while you are wrenching on it. I have one of those also and use it for changing the tire.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,220 Posts
I'm interested in this. Never used one. So the platform just sits directly on the KLR's skid plate and nothing breaks? Or do you remove the skid plate first? I'm still rocking the OEM plastic plate and have no plans to replace it. Do you tie the bike down to something? Because it seems it needs to just balance on the frame lower frame down tubes/skid plate?

I'm getting ready to replace the "temporary" OEM tires. Sucker's don't last more than 2k miles at the rear!
I just slide the lift under the skid plate and use a drill to lift it up, while holding the bike level until the weight is on the lift.
if you put it directly under the skid plate, it’ll lift up the front tire.
if you place it towards the rear of the skid plate and the rear shock assembly, it’ll raise the rear tire.
You can leave the stock plastic skid plate attached….it will not break. And no, I don’t tie my bike down either.

As previously stated…if garage space is a concern, this is the way to go. If not, I would go with the HF lift and bring a 20% coupon with you

Reactions: OCL

· Registered
535 Posts
As previously stated…if garage space is a concern, this is the way to go. If not, I would go with the HF lift and bring a 20% coupon with you
Ok. My garage space is pretty challenged. I currently have a pitbull stand F&R. But the rear is configured to lift another bike using Spools. If I use that on the KLR I'd be switching back and forth between the spool and the L-bracket and then re-adjusting height and....I'm too old and lazy. Looking for a quick solution that is easy to deploy & store. Although it looks like I need to use the Pitbull for more stability during tire changes F&R.

I don't really want to get a center stand.

I use the Snap Jack V2 for general chain lubing and field maintenance. Super easy to use on the lightweight KLR.

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
One also needs to use the scissor lift jack on top of a lift table to change a tire if the bike doesn't have a center stand.
I generally use a quick lift jack, for KLR's & lighter dirt bikes. motosport products p-12 stand at DuckDuckGo

I prefer to do oil changes while on the side stands of motorcycles, so I can tilt them from LH side to RH side several times to drain all of the various cavities with-in most motorcycle engines.

· Registered
134 Posts
Why doesn't this (OP) work for removing the rear wheel?
Goplus Motorcycle Stand Dirtbike Sport Bike Sport Bike Rear Wheel Lift Fork Swingarm Stands Paddock Stands Fits Yamaha Honda Kawasaki Suzuki Ducati BMW (Red, Rear Stand)

· Premium Member
2018 KLR650
394 Posts
To lift my bike I use a lift like Tom's. It was a gift from my kind brother. The bike is really quite stable with one or both wheels off the ground. I used it a couple of weeks ago when I lubed my rear suspension/swing arm and used it again last weekend when I lubed my steering stem (PITA Still)

I don't use any lift to get the back wheel of the ground for chain maintenance etc. There is a technique described somewhere on this forum, which is where I learned it. I think it must be the easiest and quickest way to get your rear wheel off the ground.

Anyway, here is what to do:

First have an axle stand or some such handy. Some people use a block of wood. Place this stand thing on the right hand side of the bike, close to the swing arm, a bit back from the side stand.
With the bike resting on its side stand, stand on the left hand side of your bike.
Adjust the handlebar so that the front wheel is facing directly forward.
Now here is the tricky part; push down on the left hand end of the handlebar with your left hand.While pushing down on the left hand side of the handlebar, reach over the seat to the right hand side of the bike and grab something. I grab the pillion foot peg bracket, but I have long arms. Anyway simultaneously push firmly on the left hand end of the handlebar and lift whatever you've grabbed (Not a plastic cover!) on the right hand side and tilt the bike over on the side stand.
Reach over to your pre-prepared stand thing and place it under the swing arm. Gently lower the bike onto the stand thing. The rear wheel should now be off the ground. If it is not, you need a longer stand thing.

Note, most of the lifting is done using the leverage of the handlebar. The bike should not be hard to lift with your right hand. If the bike feels heavy, maybe place your left hand closer to the end of the handlebar, push harder on the handlebar or make sure the front wheel is facing forward.

Also, check the thread called this: Do you support center stands or oppose?

I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts