Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,741 Posts
One also needs to use the scissor lift jack on top of a lift table to change a tire if the bike doesn't have a center stand.
I generally use a quick lift jack, for KLR's & lighter dirt bikes. motosport products p-12 stand at DuckDuckGo

I prefer to do oil changes while on the side stands of motorcycles, so I can tilt them from LH side to RH side several times to drain all of the various cavities with-in most motorcycle engines.
Cycle gear sells a similar stand for about $90.

· Registered
84 Posts
If you have a junk yard around, go find and nice cheap scissor jack. Most of teh yards will sell you them for $5 or less. Get a heavy duty one that has the 3/4" end on it and be good. I have several of them and have welded a flat metal square on the top of the jack for a more stable jacking point.

Just trying to give you some options.

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
Note, most of the lifting is done using the leverage of the handlebar. The bike should not be hard to lift with your right hand. If the bike feels heavy, maybe place your left hand closer to the end of the handlebar, push harder on the handlebar or make sure the front wheel is facing forward.
WOW, I think that you made that way more complicated than necessary.

With bike on side stand. (It is best to velcro strap, zip-tie or bunjie cord the front brake on.)
Me on the RH side of the bike, with Left boot toe near side of rear tire tread, either standing or with Right knee on the ground, I can place my Right hand under the swingarm & Left hand on the carrier rack. Lift or push up on the rack & swingarm, slide boot toe under rear tire, use R Hand to place stand under RH swing arm or either footrest.

· Registered
80 Posts
A center stand works very well for an casual rider , like yourself, and easy trails. It does everything you will need . Washing the bike ,cleaning and lubing the chain. Chain adjusting . Rear wheel removal , etc. . You can change your oil with the center stand but not with the under-belly lift . Get a center stand and no more worries.

· Premium Member
2018 KLR650
394 Posts
WOW, I think that you made that way more complicated than necessary.

With bike on side stand. (It is best to velcro strap, zip-tie or bunjie cord the front brake on.)
Me on the RH side of the bike, with Left boot toe near side of rear tire tread, either standing or with Right knee on the ground, I can place my Right hand under the swingarm & Left hand on the carrier rack. Lift or push up on the rack & swingarm, slide boot toe under rear tire, use R Hand to place stand under RH swing arm or either footrest.
Thanks for the comment Paul

Perhaps I made it sound more complicated than it is. I was trying to put as much detail in as I could so that people could follow the directions if they chose to, but basically, with the side stand down, I lean on the left handlebar at the same time as I lift from the RH pillion foot peg bracket. The bike tilts over as easy as pie. No need for boots or velcro brake strap.

I'll give your way a try though, and see which I prefer. I have seen video, I think Tom's of the bike being lifted in a way similar to the way you describe. To be honest, it looked like a long way to crouch down for me, I am fairly tall...

· Administrator
10,121 Posts
I kneel down on the ground near where I want to place Is Stick®©Ⓤ pat. pending. I grab some pieces of KLR and push up. I stick Is Stick®©Ⓤ pat. pending where it wants to be, which will be either at the rear of the right side swing arm or near the front of the skid plate.

Then I stand up and drag my knuckles over to where I need to do stuff and I do stuff. When I am done doing stuff I drag my knuckles over to where Is Stick®©Ⓤ pat. pending is and I kick Is Stick®©Ⓤ pat. pending out from under the KLR.

The five judges each hold up a card with a 1 or a 2 on it. Sometimes they just throw things.

Reactions: chrider

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
I can easily tilt an unladen KLR650 Left onto the side stand from either side of the bike, from either a standing or squatting position.
But I think that it is easiest to place the stick, jack, crutch under the Right Hand side of the bike if one is already on the RH side of the bike.

Without side stand switch interference, I don't even use a RH support to lube my drive chain with engine running. because once tilted I can easily balance it with only my LH hand on the LH handlebar & clutch lever (even with luggage). Then use R hand to shift into gear & spray chain lube.

· Administrator
10,121 Posts
You're holding up a card with a 1 on it, aren't you?

· Premium Member
2018 KLR650
394 Posts
I can easily tilt an unladen KLR650 Left onto the side stand from either side of the bike, from either a standing or squatting position.
But I think that it is easiest to place the stick, jack, crutch under the Right Hand side of the bike if one is already on the RH side of the bike.
I see what you're saying here Paul, and it makes sense

· Premium Member
2018 KLR650
394 Posts
I kneel down on the ground near where I want to place Is Stick®©Ⓤ pat. pending. I grab some pieces of KLR and push up. I stick Is Stick®©Ⓤ pat. pending where it wants to be, which will be either at the rear of the right side swing arm or near the front of the skid plate.

Then I stand up and drag my knuckles over to where I need to do stuff and I do stuff. When I am done doing stuff I drag my knuckles over to where Is Stick®©Ⓤ pat. pending is and I kick Is Stick®©Ⓤ pat. pending out from under the KLR.

The five judges each hold up a card with a 1 or a 2 on it. Sometimes they just throw things.
Hehe. I dread to think what they throw, or where the might get it from

· Registered
1 Posts
I made my stand from stuff I had laying around. I cut 2 triangles out of 2x12 wood and dressed up the corners. I measured the distance from the floor to the bracket just above and behind the swing arm pivot and added a few inches to get the tire off the ground. A piece of 1" pipe fits through the bracket nicely
To raise it up, I just slide the pipe through both brackets and put a wood piece on the pipe on the right side of the bike. I lean up the bike onto the wood and keep leaning until the kick stand starts coming up. When the left side is high enough, I slide the other piece onto the pipe. The bike is now sitting square on the floor with the back tire off the ground.
My homemade bracket doesn't interfere with the back tire, chain or swing arm. Not the prettiest or most efficient, but it only cost me a little time to build.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,232 Posts
I made my stand from stuff I had laying around. I cut 2 triangles out of 2x12 wood and dressed up the corners. I measured the distance from the floor to the bracket just above and behind the swing arm pivot and added a few inches to get the tire off the ground. A piece of 1" pipe fits through the bracket nicely
To raise it up, I just slide the pipe through both brackets and put a wood piece on the pipe on the right side of the bike. I lean up the bike onto the wood and keep leaning until the kick stand starts coming up. When the left side is high enough, I slide the other piece onto the pipe. The bike is now sitting square on the floor with the back tire off the ground.
My homemade bracket doesn't interfere with the back tire, chain or swing arm. Not the prettiest or most efficient, but it only cost me a little time to build. View attachment 33055
This won't work on a 22 gen 3. The rear brake reservoir lives in there and would make it impossible. I like the idea but to work on a gen 3, a different method would have to be employed.

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,232 Posts
I still like the lower end of a crutch idea. Especially if you find a pediatric version. Smaller and lighter but still capable. Usually not hard to source either.
Also, those kids scooters you see in the trash all the time. The handlebar is adjustable aluminum and would be perfect.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I broke down in order one of the jack stands too. I did a couple of lifts in my garage and I am pretty surprised at how much the front wheel rolls back.... be very careful when you let it down because the front wheel is still rolling forward and the kickstand just about folded up on me! It was really close to a disaster.

· Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,741 Posts
I’ve been sitting on the sidelines during this discussion, waiting to see the range of responses. I have a Craftsman hydraulic bike lift, a stand that’s a big block of wood, and several other ways of lifting or hoisting a bike. My Gen2 has a center stand, and my Gen1’s do not. I find that I do not use the lifts for the Gen2, because it’s a lot easier and faster to just pull it up on the center stand, and I can do any maintenance or repair (short of removing the engine) with it.

Although I try to keep extra weight off my bikes, I’ve come around to the view that a center sand is so convenient and usable that the couple extra pounds earns its keep. So as soon as I decide which Gen1 I’m gonna keep, I’ll get a center stand for it too.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts