Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If and when the snow starts flying, I'm going to tackle lubing the swingarm pivots, upgrading my subframe bolts and sending my shock off to Top Gun to have them put their biggest "Fat Bastard" spring on it, probably go ahead and put a new 244 on the rear.

What do you have planned for yours?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I am going to tear the entire bike down to the frame and repaint to factory colour, just to clean it up. After 80,000kms plus it's starting to show it's age. I will check everything on the bike to make sure it's all 100% reliable and fit for any adventure in the future. I'm also installing a 705 to finish the engine mods cc wise......then add 5 degrees to the cam timing as per KLRCary's suggestion before he was taken from us so early. It really is the last thing I can do to this bike to improve upon where it is now.

After that....I have a new project to play with.....an old CX500 1978....yep a dinasaur of a bike. It runs and has all it's parts. I haven't decided to either build a reverse trike out of it or bob it to get a vintage looking 50's styling machine to cruise around on. I was so much planning on the trike, but after seeing a well made bobber style, I am second guessing my plans for it. Plus the whole reverse trike idea hasn't 100% been tested yet other than the Can-am Spyder and it has too much technology and money thrown at it. Plus there is a strong company behind it to get the legalities figured out. The reverse trike is now in the DMV rulings but will the local cops be aware of it and not pull me off the road every chance they get. It may just be too soon for one to be made.....? So the bobber is now looking more likely to win this decission.

Today's job is to power wash the KLR if, the weather holds out....we are getting the start of that huricane coming up from Florida area and the temps are plumeting......so it's that time of year again.....put the bikes and summer toys away I fear......Oh well....

So, I have much to keep me occupied this winter......:13:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm still riding, and will until the fear of ice and snow halts that. I plan on taking the bike down to the frame and check every piece, from the wheels, breaks, shocks, head stock, repack bearings, wires, valves, internal chain guides (not Splitting the case), replace the sprockets`N chain, and new tires.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
My off season is already on... Lol :)

I'm doing racks and aluminum panniers, doohickey sometime this winter and I gotta put some new rubber (and maybe a chain) on the old girl :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
whats a off season ?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, I don't understand...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go to dealership.....buy 2012 KLR....put KLR in garage....go out in garage and stare at bike every 7.3 minutes. Oh, and of course ride KLR if no snow on the ground.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My plans before were fuel stabilizer, trickle charger, and intense detailing. Now that I have a klr the off season it about 10 minutes long, take off stock screen, put on tall screen and keep riding (that happened last weekend).

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
whats a off season ?
Lol, off season here is about November to April... Lot's of snow, the roads are sheets of ice and temps are cold enough to freeze any motorcycle to it's core. Yeah, it sucks but what are you going to do? Welcome to the great white north :D.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I don't have any real plans for her this winter. I got her all set up last winter, she's all lubed up, and I haven't put very many miles on her lately. I would like to redo the heated grips as they're not as warm as they could be, but I'll probably just wait.

·
Premium Member
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm not looking forward to the swingarm project, but I've had the thing for 3 years and it needs to be done. Figured it would also be a good time to do the shock spring. I don't off-road enough to push the limits of the shock, but I'm really too heavy for the stock and I'm hoping the heavier spring will make it last longer. I'm getting the Top Gun shock "service" done, but will give them the go-ahead to do a rebuild if they feel it needs it. I'm going with their stiffest 8.0kg spring designed for loads from 300-350 pounds. I'm guessing I go about 310 with all my gear on.

If I rode rough terrain more, I'd probably opt for a complete aftermarket shock, but they cost a fortune and I don't think I really need one.

I'm going to get TG's 2 cents' worth, but I think I'll go ahead and leave the raising links on even with the new shock spring as I really like the both the "nose heavy" feel and the kickstand lean angle they give the KLR.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts