Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, less than 10 days on my New to me 2001 KLR 650. Seems to be a good find with less than 13,000 kms (about 8K miles). It seems to be missing a small left side cover in front of the battery on the engine side of the frame. See pic Any "Name" for this or where to find one?

Appreciate any help here with this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks very much that gets me part way there.

I have 2 threaded bolt holes in the frame with nothing attached. Perhaps I'm missing the entire kickstand switch?

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
175 Posts
Yes, it looks to be already done. This bracket attaches to those two holes and holds the switch but also has the mounting threads for the screw that holds the cover on. Some leave all of it off, I have mine on as I use it to hold/hide a 12v tap & fuse off of the starter solenoid to power a relay for my aux lights. Your call if you want to spend the $ to have that option or just leave it all off. I’m a nerd for the OEM look and wanted it back either way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh, It was a delete i guess. I will likely get the cover and mount for something like you did. a 12V power source would be handy!!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
175 Posts
Ahhh, It was a delete i guess. I will likely get the cover and mount for something like you did. a 12V power source would be handy!!

Thanks!!!
Note, off the relay is helpful if you’re running it to a fuse block or a relay as it is ALWAYS hot from there. Mine goes to a relay.

Gen 1 bikes have a low amperage connection behind the fairing, buy a clymers manual if you don’t already have one and you’ll see these marked as NC. They power parking lights on European models. This connection is KEY ON power only. I use it to power my voltmeter and charge my phone. It isn’t advised to use it for much else as the wires are too thin a gauge.

Good luck and congrats!

BE SURE to use the search function, you’ll usually find more articles than you can read if you take a few minutes and play around with search words!

Otherwise there are quite a few very helpful and brilliant minds on here to offer insight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts