Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I rode it about 30 miles. We got about 15 inches of snow on Friday. Highways are pretty much dry again, except where melting snow flows across the roadway.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Temp got to 50 so I took a 35 mile ride to lunch. It was windy and very gusty, but the KLR handled it pretty well. I think it handles the wind as well as or better than my LT, even with the big Givi Trekker case on the back. Sure was nice to get back on the road after the long winter.

Now I just need to get my LT fuel lines and radiator hoses replaced and get it buttoned up and off my lift so I can load up the KLR and get the T-Bob installed.

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Swapped in my other set of wheels with new tires. Installed a new set of crash bars.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Swapped in my other set of wheels with new tires. Installed a new set of crash bars.
:surprise: New set of Crash Bars! :surprise: Did you wear the old ones Out? ;) Do you have a problem with gravity, klr4evr?

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
132 Posts
Eagle Mike Raising Links! Hated how the back end sagged so much.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Changed the oil, filter, adjusted the doo... Replaced the chain and sprockets 15/43 - Got to use my MotionPro T-6 Chain tool. It's always good to re-familiarize yourself with tools you rarely use.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I installed the Eagle Manufacturing caliper bracket that showed up in the mail today.
Its very nicely finished an the fit is perfect. I did not like the Tusk aluminum bracket.
I can see it being a problem over time.

Terry

·
Registered
205 Posts
The list so far:

Tall Kawasaki Windscreen
Lube rear suspension linkages
Oxford heated grips
Polisport front fender
EM fork brace
EM Doohicky installed
Tusk oversize rotor
Dirtracks luggage racks
Dirtracks engine crash-bars
KLX needle and 142 main jet idle mixture screw at 1 3/4 turns
Thermobob
EM caliper bracket

It was a fun winter project.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pro Grip gel grips on the 03! waiting for the glue to dry. Getting the stock grip off the throttle tube was a little challenging but not as bad as I thought it would be.

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts
What!!!?? What happened?

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I know.. It's then end of an era... I'm going to miss it though I'm sure.. I went to an excited new owner, and I can't wait to see what he does with it.

It's taken me on some great adventures.

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts
Many good adventures were had!

They are like VW bugs, Michael. You'll get another.

Still got the Honda?

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Many good adventures were had!

They are like VW bugs, Michael. You'll get another.

Still got the Honda?
Yep, some of those adventures with you were some of the best.

Still have the XR400 and working on something large and orange..

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts
Very nice! I hope you'll share some photos!

·
Registered
320 Posts
The pictures tell the story. The KLR is a peach to work on compared to my BMW. One side fairing on my BMW has almost as many screws as all of the bodywork on the KLR in total!

The installation went well. A couple of minor niggles about the Thermo-Bob kit, but for the most part it is first class hardware and very complete instructions.

I idled the bike and could feel the bottom hose to the cylinder heating up very quickly just as expected. The radiator seemed to be heating up a little even before the thermostat opened, but that may have been flow through the bleed hole or maybe some ghost flow from the lower radiator hose as the water mixes in the bypass Tee. Once the t-stat opened, the radiator heated up quickly and the fan came on a couple minutes later. I let the fan cycle twice before shutting her down.

Just need to check coolant level and then will probably run through one more heat cycle before putting the side fairings back on and taking a test ride.

P.S. Interesting that all of my pictures were rotated 90 when uploaded. The LT forum uses what appears to be the same forum software and does not do that. Anyone know how to prevent the image rotation?

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Crossed the 500 mile mark today, got some fresh gas and rode enough miles to give the T-Bob a good workout. It is impressive. The temp needled moved smoothly to 195 and stuck there like glue. Very nice and this has to do good things for both efficiency and longevity.

Now got to start thinking about the doohickey...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just finished my Thermobob installation. While getting ready to pour the drained coolant back in I noticed LOTS of silver flakes in it. Since this is the factory new fill could it be from the radiator's manufacturing process? Anyway, I'm straining it through a coffee filter before putting it back in just because I'm anal about these things.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.