Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
As soon as i get parts in im going from the 40 tooth rear sprocket the previous owner put on to the 43. The 40 is great for highway but damn does it lug taking off from a light.

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
Installed a 320mm Warp 9 rotor and some new EBC pads. View attachment 26586
Jack,
You may need to install a couple of shim washers under the front mounts of that fender to keep tire 'growth' at speed from rubbing thru it!
One or two washers per front side mount should nearly equalize the front - rear fender clearance.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
"Keep tire 'growth' at speed from rubbing"

Good call. I pulled the fender off for my shakedown ride on the new brake set up. The fender is mounted underneath the fork brace rather than on the top so some re-think is needed.

Thanks for noticing.(y)

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Replaced the rear Shinko 705 with a new one. Forgot what a too bald biznatch those tires are. Total heavy lift getting the dang bead unseated. Luckily tho, this time install was a breeze thanks to the fact that I had some Bullsnot on hand. I can't imagine doing this job in the field…

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
...Sagebrush dude was an asset and seemed to go the extra mile. Towards the end he drifted into retirement and died shortly afterwards...
The Sagebrush dude was Jake Jakeman. It was Jake that invented, named, and who didn't receive much credit for, the aftermarket balancer lever. He truly was a guy who would go out of his way for a rider passing through. He died much too young from diabetes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So, I did it yesterday, hope that counts.
(This new set up wont let me post pics, so if someone that can could pm me a number ill tx them pics, and they could post.)
The old seat dabate. I finally did something about my seat, got it back yesterday and went for ride.
I got my 2018 in AZ 2 falls ago, didn't even test drive it bought it loaded it went to TX for a month and unloaded it there. It had a hard break in, as 4 lane road right out of the campground was 75mph, witch means 80+, so its go or get run over. Im 5'11 34 inch inseam and didn't like the tall seat. So, took staples out with less than 300 miles on it and went to town on the foam with the electric kitchen knife, dropped it down to almost the plastic and restapled it. Didn't look nice but worked nice.
Finally dropped seat of at a upholstery shop last week and ( the dude) dudes upholstery shop, made it to my wishes. $100, that's all,,, and the thing looks so nice it should just hang on the wall like a picture. Its about as low as you can go without sitting on the pan. One can tell the love and craftman ship of it just by looking how well the stiches and trim curve down a little at the ends, and how the general seat just flows.

Next up, is going tubeless next tire change/s. I have everything ready to do it. ( I am a tube pincher) no way around it. Got the new banjo no pinch tool ready also, to try out.
I have a BMW roadside plug and air and travel on, kit from my 04.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I sold it to a friend. It was set up primarily for off road and extremely well done. I had purchased it for my last great off road ride, Death Valley and Baja but injured my new knee working on it. It was in the back of my truck and I was making final preps when I tripped over the left tie down an came down squarely on my artificial knee. I was down for a bit, missed the Death Valley trip and then Covid 19 resulted in the border closure.

My ride to a friend's house last week, which is situated WAY down a very rough and hilly dirt road, convinced me that my off road riding days were over. The knee is doing well but I'm in my 70s and just no longer up to handling off road riding. Oh well. I still believe the KLR is an amazing machine and I'll be looking for another later model, well farkled, one. I have my BMW and a side car rig but would still like to have a KLR for some light touring and those times when "the pavement ends". Well maintened logging roads are no problem but back dirt with tank traps, steep up and down hill turns and general craters are just no longer for me. Ah to be young again.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts