Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Pulled the panniers, side covers, and seat off to do a battery service; I'm glad I did, as a couple of cells were a little low.
- Finally deleted the two seat retaining bolts and strung up a Rox Strap to secure the rear seat, yet make things like the battery and fuses more accessible.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Are you going to Dinosaur National Monument? I hoping to get there later this summer. That area looks awesome to me.
Yes - Although I'm really looking forward to soaking at the Hot Springs, Dinosaur NM is awesome in the most literal sense of the word and is one of my favorite "stomping grounds".

When you get to Dinosaur you really ought to see Harper's Corner, but you simply must take the dirt road down to Echo Park - it's a little challenging in spots, but it's a really beautiful 14 mile "road" down the canyon to the confluence of the Yampa & Green rivers (pictured below) - watch out if it's wet, as the bentonite soil turns into grease paint, and you won't get out for a few days. (You know what I mean...)

Besides Dinosaur NM, there's great camping and trail riding up towards Browns Park & Irish Canyon (north of US 40) and down towards Juniper Mountain & Maggie's Nipple (south of US 40), too.

Drop me a line when you plan your trip and I can offer some "locally-inspired" recommendations that will fit your budget; for example, the Museum of Northwest Colorado in Craig is really great, a super bargain, and a good place to hide from the hot midday sun.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I did the valve adjustment pokey, musically -
You take the fat shim out, you put the thin shim in.
You adjust the cam chain tension and you check the valves again.
You put on all that plastic and turn the ignition on,
And pray that it starts again!

In this case, all seems good so far; plenty of shim left (.245 & .250) and I even managed to recycle a shim and save a couple of dollars!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.