Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,548 Posts
Bought a new (used) custom seat and put it on my bike today, then rode about 90 miles. It replaces the 2016 seat I have. This was made by Mr. Ed’s Custom Moto in Albany, OR. I like it a lot so far.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Yesterday I got a couple packages in the mail.
Today I replaced the Doo with an EM. Torsion spring too. Changed the oil and filter while there.
I also lubed the throttle and clutch cables. And capped the garage day off with removing the AIS and installing the EM delete.
Tomorrow I'll go for a spin and then I'm going to install the Thermo-Bob that arrived today.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Cheers
Jerry View attachment 28716
Damn. A very productive day!

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
I installed the JNS Engineering footpeg lowering brackets. Wish I could say it was a simple bolt-on, but nothing is ever that simple. In my case, the frame brackets had the threads stripped at some point in the past, and a PO drilled them out and retapped for M8 bolts. So I had to drill out the JNS brackets to 13/32” to allow the bolts to pass through.

After I got them on, i tested the seating position, and I like the new foot position because it opens up the thigh-to-lower back angle. The stock position is good to start with, but this is better.

Someone else reported recently that the JNS footpeg brackets did not fit with the SW Motech crash bars and center stand. I have both and did not have any interference problems.

One downside: the repositioned foot pegs block access to the infamous lower pivot bolt. Since I’m still working on getting that out, I put the stock brackets back on until I get that bolt out and regreased and back in.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Which ones—the 4 that hold on the windshield, or the two bigger ones that hold on the upper fairing to the support bracket?

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
If you have to replace those well nuts, they are about 5 bucks each at the Kawi dealer, but you can get a package of 3 at NAPA for about the same price.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Today I lubed and adjusted the throttle and clutch cables and extended the clutch release lever 0.5”. Easier to use and better engagement control.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
...And then I pulled off the cam cover to check valve clearances. Left In-.008”, Right In-.0095, left Ex-.004”, Right Ex-.009”. The right intake is a little on the loose side, but not enough to bother me. The right exhaust is nice, and the left exhaust is too tight.

Now I need to pull the cams and see what size shims I have. Hope I can swap them around or use some of the leftovers I have from when I had EM do the valve job on my 2013 head. But my guess is I’ll need a thinner shim than I have.

And here’s a picture of my extended clutch release arm. I added 1/2” (13mm). Not as neat as Twin Headlight Ernie’s conversion, but it will hold. I also ground a notch with my Dremel on the back of the clutch cable bracket to allow the bracket to rotate clockwise about 10 degrees against the aluminum post that sticks up from the engine case.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Today I pulled the cams and checked the shim thicknesses. I had one in my stash that I could use, but I still needed a 230 shim, so ended up driving all over town to get it. Got home and installed the new shim, reinstalled the cams and caps and rechecked the clearances: now Left In-.008”, right In-.007”, left Ex-.009”, right Ex-.009”. I also disconnected all the electrical connectors from the steering head back, greased them, and reconnected.

I will do a compression check tomorrow. If everything is good, I’ll put on the cam cover, reinstall the stuff I had to remove, and then the IMS tank. Should be rideable tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Get bark busters for your handlebars. You’ll save the cost of several sets of hand levers. 😕

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
On my 2013 KLR, I removed the pivot bolts of the suspension and cleaned and greased the needle bearings in the swing arm and lever assembly. That was a PITA. I was able to get the long lower pivot bolt out without too much pounding because I had saturated it with Kroil through the holes in the lower frame a couple weeks ago. The bearings weren’t dry, but they didn’t have much grease in them either. I used a moly grease for CV joints and squished it into the rollers with my fingers.

I also removed the Touratech shock and rotated it a bit to create more space with the hydraulic line to the external preload adjuster. That also was a PITA because getting that assembly out required removing more stuff to gain access. I think that if I were buying a new shock for it (either Touratech or Cogent) I would not buy the model with the external adjuster. Since I generally set the shock to allow 1/3 sag, and then rarely touch it again, the external adjuster just adds crap that weighs more and gets in the way. Keep it simple.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Later this evening, I finished installing the JNS peg lowering brackets in my 2013. I like the new leg position. I’ll have put some miles on it to see how well they work on the long haul and off pavement.

I also picked up my Shorai battery I ordered from Cycle Gear today. That goes in tomorrow morning. Then I ride it to test.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
I don’t know the brand of the pegs. I couldn’t find a name on them and they were installed by the PO. But they work well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.