Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
As a new owner I have heaps in the pipeline. Ordered a few items but will take ages to make its way from the USA to OZ. In the meantime, this weekend will be rear suspension lengthening links and a general tidy up of the previous owners shoddy work. Need the indicator adaptors to arrive to fit the new DRL/LED indicators for the front and combination Brake/Indicators for the rear.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As a new owner I have heaps in the pipeline. Ordered a few items but will take ages to make its way from the USA to OZ. In the meantime, this weekend will be rear suspension lengthening links and a general tidy up of the previous owners shoddy work. Need the indicator adaptors to arrive to fit the new DRL/LED indicators for the front and combination Brake/Indicators for the rear.
So did the rear suspension links. Took all of ten minutes. took longer to get the bike onto the stand and get it stabilised. Now the side stand actually works.
applied a bit of grease whilst I had the bolts out. Looks like my bits from the USA are finally making it across the water.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Put the bike together after:
fitting new indicators
fitting new radiator
fitting safari tank
Fitting second hand grab rails and rear rack
repairing side covers and wrapped them
a few other small repairs to PO mods that were just terrible

·
Registered
82 Posts
Put the bike together after:
fitting new indicators
fitting new radiator
fitting safari tank
Fitting second hand grab rails and rear rack
repairing side covers and wrapped them
a few other small repairs to PO mods that were just terrible
View attachment 30405
Waiting for the items to arrive from Happy Trails and some more work. Happy days. Went for a ride around all the gravel roads in my neighbourhood today to. Stress test. We’re in lockdown with a 5km limit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So, bike is finally finished for now. Next upgrade is going to focus on the front brake. Bigger rotor and caliber with braided brake lines.
So far I have done:
Doohickey
Safari Tank
New indicators with DRL
Service
Replaced rear rack with OEM and B&B plate
Happy Trail bash plate and engine guard
Some minor tidying up of wiring and hoses
Replaced radiator

·
Registered
82 Posts
After having the left hand mirror decide to loosen itself while riding yet again I added copious amount of blue locktite.
Hopefully that will help. I will eventually pay the exorbitant price for a set of double take, but I gag at the around $60 postage.
I thought the locking nut would hold it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Received my Dynojet kit today. Will be fitting it this weekend with a new slide. I have no idea what’s in the carb at the moment but at least I will after the weekend.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fitted the dynojet carb kit. The slide holes had been filled but I fitted a new one anyway. Mixture screw is seized so have no idea how many turns it is in or out as I left it. Had disaster written all over it, if I pursued trying to free it up. Anyone fixed this issue? Any suggestions? I may look for a second hand carb and do a swap at some stage. Be an opportunity to fix the broken plastic nut on the enricher as this was hamfisted at some stage by the PO. Bike runs well, has lost the bit of hesitation it had at around 3000 rpm and starts easier too. Also, was in two minds to remove the coolant connection to the carb but decided to leave it there. Any advice on this also?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bike fell over today…broke the handlebar risers. PO must have bought cheap crap. Took a bit of thinking to pick her up again. Ever tried lifting a bike without the handlebars? Had to phone the wife to bring me some tools to refit the bars to the original mounts again. Now I need a right side fairing as it broke on the mount. Ah, the joys of bike ownership.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Put the bike together after replacing the fairings when they broke after the bike fell over. Took the time to fit a two way light bar using the denali fairing mount brackets and a few mods. Still waiting for the KLR dash to arrive so i can complete this and have the screen more upright and add the electrics i have planned.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
82 Posts
So, finally fitted the new fairing and rally dash. And went for a ride. Justing waiting on a new taller screen and handlebar risers.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll suggest that your front tire may feel more secure on dirt, sand & gravel if you Reverse its direction of rotation
(Regardless of any possible arrow on its sidewall).
A front tire is always 'driven' by the roadway never 'driving/pulling' the bike forward. It is driven even harder when using the brakes properly.

Think about this, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< vs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> imprint on the ground.

One direction 'scoops' the sand, gravel, dirt, mud & water into the centerline of the tire.
The other direction 'scoots' the sand, gravel, dirt, mud & water towards the sides of the tire. Keeping the centerline in better contact with firmer ground.
Thanks for the feedback.

Having spent some time in tyre manufacture in a previous life, the arrow on the tire showing direction is quite important as it allows for the tread to not delaminate under load, in the case of a front tire, under braking. It is quite common for front tires to be used on the rear (in customer applications) and vice versa where it is critical to install counter the arrow if it is being used in the opposite wheel for which is was designed. If this tyre tread was facing the wrong way, I would not reverse it against the arrow as it is specifically designed for the front wheel and reversing it could have catastrophic results under hard braking.

·
Registered
82 Posts
No, it is not.
Ok, let me try this. imagine looking at the tire from 'the worms eye view'.

Currently Bigjaype's tire has the vee pattern rolling forward like normal tractor tread, correct?
Vee like this, (\/) as viewed from the front. Normal tractor tread is for a 'Driving' tire. It scoots the loose soil out to the sides, if it is slipping/spinning.
So for a 2 wheel drive bike it could be considered correct. But it will tend to plug-up during braking.

During normal motorcycle braking, when the (\/) imprints into the ground it sort of 'scoops' the soil into its centerline.

When the tractor tread patterns vee are installed reversed on a normal motorcycle (/\) as viewed from the front, the vee tends to 'scoot' the soil or water to the sides, even during normal rolling and especially during braking. Stabilizing the tire grip.

Look at "11x" front tire directly above this post. It is Correct for a bike!
OK, you've got my old grey matter going!

Based on your representation:

Think about this, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< vs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> imprint on the ground.

Which is more desirable? Red or green?

From what I surmise, mine will leave the Red imprint. Assuming direction of travel is from right to left as per the pic I posted. The red KLR will leave the same imprint but will be travelling left to right. If it were travelling right to left, like mine, it would leave the green imprint.

Tonight I'll check the rotational arrow on the tire and see which way it's been fitted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The mechanic could have actually correctly read the sidewall.
The Shinko E705 'Trail Master' front tires have 'Dual Arrows'.
One arrow for a Driven tire like 99.999% of all motorcycle front tires.

And a second arrow for a 'Driving tire', like might be used on a sidecar with a lock-up axle. But I have never in my life seen any motorcycle (or pic of a motorcycle) with a 21inch rear wheel.

Correct.
So which is desirable...red or green?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.